The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Todd Lassen (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thought maybe you had a brother we didn't know about!

Jim
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thought maybe you had a brother we didn't know about!

Jim
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I Have an Uncle Named that! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I would be interested to know from those that own his gravity flippers if he has moved on from basic rubber bands like the other top coin gaff makers have.....does anyone know ?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
It doesn't matter. You can swap out a rubber band for the new material on just about any flipper - I've done it multiple times, including one or two of Todd's.

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2016, warren wrote:
I would be interested to know from those that own his gravity flippers if he has moved on from basic rubber bands like the other top coin gaff makers have.....does anyone know ?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, inigmntoya wrote:
It doesn't matter. You can swap out a rubber band for the new material on just about any flipper - I've done it multiple times, including one or two of Todd's.

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2016, warren wrote:

Possibly but if your not so good with your hands like me when it comes to changing bands etc then it does make a difference and it would still be interesting to know given how expensive his coins are and given the high quality of his coins then you would think it possible that he may have switched over to something of better longer lasting quality than an elastic band.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I do not recall ever reading a post that said Todd Uses Elastic Thread rather than rubber bands. That said, I have also never read a post complaining about Todd's "craftsmanship" when it comes to flippers (or any gaff for that matter). Just because a lot of people like the "new method" (elastic) it does not mean there is anything wrong with the old method (rubber bands). I imagine Todd figures - "If it ain't broke, why fix it"?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
If one wishes to use the longer lasting band instead of a rubber band, it is easy to get some of the material and and replace the rubber band with it.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Don't get me wrong I'm not doubting Todd Lassen's excellent craftsmanship far from it, I was just wondering if he had moved with the times regards the rubber bands given both the quality and price of his work.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Warren, rubber bands can be purchased in very specific sizes and strengths. Elastic thread is difficult to tie off with a given tension. So some custom makers prefer rubber bands to ensure that the flipper operates the same way all the time. Or at least so I've been told.

Most magi who perform regularly with flippers change the band before each act, or two at most. It really is pretty simple to do. If you are doing any coin work at all I am certain you can change out a flipper's band very quickly. Five to ten minutes, and even faster with Lassen's internal works.
Smile

Jim
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Hi Jim thanks for the info your always very helpful it's much appreciated. Whilst I'm of a reasonable level coin wise I newish to using gaffs and have never used a flipper as the use rubber bands have always put me off though I have quite a few dvd's with work on flippers such as flipped out and Troy Hoosers stuff.

I'm in the process now of sorting out some coins and due to inport tax have decided to get myself a shell set from MagiKoins of France who has a good reputation and having contacted Jamie Schoolcraft have decided to purchase a flipper from him as he said if I send him some pictures he'll do his best to match up a flipper coin for me plus it comes with the elastic thread.

This isn't to put down Lassen's work which I believe to be excellent too it's just that contacting him is really difficult as I'm in the UK and he hasn't responded to any of the emails I've sent him.

Thanks again for your help Jim Smile
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Anybody who whines or cries about not being able to contact Todd by phone from anywhere in the World with online access is just being a crybaby.

We all know you can get free phone numbers and call him through google, YES you can call hm for free from anywhere in the world, use you cell phone or your computer, go to google and get your phone number, call him and quit crying. Quit the complaining.

Your a Magi there's no Hand Holding, we point the way, but you need to do the work. JFC...grow up.

Todd's a great person, met him in Nederland, CO, in person each time I picked my coins up from him.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I got some bands from Todd a while ago and I thought they might be synthetic instead of rubber. Pretty much the dental industry isn't using rubber anymore.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2017, Tree wrote:
Anybody who whines or cries about not being able to contact Todd by phone from anywhere in the World with online access is just being a crybaby.

We all know you can get free phone numbers and call him through google, YES you can call hm for free from anywhere in the world, use you cell phone or your computer, go to google and get your phone number, call him and quit crying. Quit the complaining.

Your a Magi there's no Hand Holding, we point the way, but you need to do the work. JFC...grow up.

Todd's a great person, met him in Nederland, CO, in person each time I picked my coins up from him.

Actually I had only heard about calling someone via google the other day so not everyone knows that and to make such a comment is either quite rude or quite naive I'm hoping it's the latter.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and quote what someone else said on an older thread if you were to line up Lassen, Schoolcraft, Magikoins or any of the other top coin guys work together side by side there would be little difference between them so with that in mind nothing against Todd who I'm sure is a great man I would rather use someone who's customer service involves using emails otherwise why on earth put your email as a means of contact.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Sorry, not true with regard to quality. Not even close. Whoever made that comment apparently didn't have any Lassen gaffs.

Jim
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think the branch broke off when he walked out in that limb. 100%... Even though I use gaffs from other makers, my Lassen's are the top quality.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I have to agree. I once got a flipper [ combo from schoolcraft. I wasn't a fan of how he domed the [. I've only used lassen since then and have never been disappointed
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst I'm not putting down Todds work far from it when researching I couldn't find the original quote however here are some quotes that have lead me to believe that they are all great and that there are pro's and con's with all manufactures but overall there isn't much difference between the top guys :

Chris Congreave ( top UK magician )
I have gaffs made by Todd Lassen, Jamie Schoolcraft and Vsn Dokkum and I am more than happy with all of them, I recently had a Morgan dollar shell set of Van Dokkum, he sent me a teflon sheet and a shim for no extra cost. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Pete Biro
Ask each maker for price including shipping. Can't be that expensive to mail a few coins. I would say each of those you mention can make as good a coin set as the other. You need to specificy exactly what coins you want and the degree of WEAR... soft coins or re-milled.

Gordon Schott,

Sounds like arguing who's better - Schoolcraft or Lassen - is like arguing which type of water is the wettest. It's all good!

Sean Giles

I now have a gravity flipper by Lassen, Schoolcraft and my advice for what its worth is this.
The Lassen and schoolcraft flippers are very similar in price and quality. Very high degree of quality and accuracy in both coins. The cut is almost indetectable. Very high quality coins, machined to the highest tolerence, from both these manufactures.

Chessman

I have a Joe Mogar morgan dollar flipper, and a Lassen morgan dollar flipper. Same quality.

qkeli

I was lucky to play with the stuff of LASSEN, SCHOOCHRAFT and MAGIKOINS, last but not least.
His work is EXCELLENT and as good as the 2 previous if not better, AND his customer service is for sure the BEST !!
And if he doesn't offer an expanded shell, so what's the problem, does that mean his work isn't excellent, I don't think so at all !!

I could also put up plenty of quotes off others including quotes mentioning the great difficulty contacting Lassen via phone aswell as email this is why I would rather deal with someone else it's nothing to do with the quality of his work which I don't doubt for a second is top notch.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Warren, get whatever you want,and keep trying to convince yourself of whatever story you like. But you might as well stop trying to convince everyone else...

Jim
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Jim I could just as easily say the same to you sir but I'm merely just trying to make the point that there are supporters for both Todd & Jamie and all the others for that matter, if Todd was more accessible I would no doubt give him a try.

I 've spoken to you quite a bit just lately trying to pick your brains regards coins and from what I can make out you don't just use Lassen coins yourself and you don't strike me as the type of person that would use inferior goods.

At the end of the day I only really looked into this thread to see if Todd had upgraded from rubber bands so rather than ruffle anyones feathers I'll move on but just to repeat myself I have never doubted the quality of Todds work what I have said is that if your not from the USA he's quite difficult to contact.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Todd Lassen (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL