The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Todd Lassen (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Chiming in here. I've had Wong, Schoolcraft, Johnson, Tango, Magikoins and Lassen. For me, in silver dollars and silver sized coin sets which is all I generally use, Lassen is so far ahead in quality that any issues with price or contact with Todd is not an issue. You just get what you want and you're thrilled. This man is the Porsche of coins. I swear by his products. Tango has a very useful TUC in silver half which I love. But other than that - it's Lassen 100% now for me. Worth the wait for his level of attention to detail. His UWC set is beyond belief and shimmed for mag holdout to the bak pocket. Triple Threat and Flippers are outstanding. Love his tall edges so shells are tall and not so close to the table/mat. I'm a Lassen fan!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2017, warren wrote:
Jim I could just as easily say the same to you sir but I'm merely just trying to make the point that there are supporters for both Todd & Jamie ...
I 've spoken to you quite a bit just lately trying to pick your brains regards coins and from what I can make out you don't just use Lassen coins yourself and you don't strike me as the type of person that would use inferior goods.

I agree with Jim (which is usually the best bet, I have found). I have a bunch of Lassen sets, and I have a few gaffs from Schoolcraft and others. The difference is precision, creativity in design and sublime usability. If you have a genuine Lassen gaff (rather than the fake niceastuffa coins being sold out there) and compare it with Schoolcraft, you will see the difference for yourself. It's not that Schoolcraft sets are bad or unusable (he uses many of the same beautiful coins Lassen has been using and they work well as intended), it's just that my Lassen coins are superior. As an example, with his flippers, Schoolcraft uses glue to create the channel, Lassen creates the channel using the much more difficult machine cut method. As another example, Lassen's ]s are so precise that they can be tossed in the air without fear yet release every time. My Schoolcraft ] sets are not as precise (usable surely, but not as precise).
Regards,
Alan
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
BanzaiMagic, I read your last post, and it makes me want to get one of Lassen's coins. Thanks for this useful post. I didn't know these details. I sometimes read that Lassen's coins are superior than Schoolcraft's but I never knew why.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
BanzaiMagic, I read your last post, and it makes me want to get one of Lassen's coins. Thanks for this useful post. I didn't know these details. I sometimes read that Lassen's coins are superior than Schoolcraft's but I never knew why.

There are additional Lassen benefits for me.

1. His coins (even 3 next to one another) all appear similar in size.
2. Nobody gives you more EDGE that is MILLED than Lassen. Height of two or three are awesome. Same with edges on his flippers.
3. Some are shimmed or mag and you can order what you need.
4. Lassen sh***s SOUND more solid if you dump a group or one in your hand against one another or each other. Nobody comes close on the SOUND issue which Lassen does so well.

Hope this helps you go Lassen above all others. He is the Coin God!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, mh1001 wrote:

Just be careful out there. One seller on Ebay has repeatedly attempted to sell counterfeit U3F sets. Also, check the lineage of any coin set that doesn't have a Lassen stamp (his oldest sets are not stamped). If you are buying used and you don't know the seller, ask around here. The safest thing is to buy directly from Todd, but that may take a while unless it is something he is currently making (check his blog to see what he is producing).
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea And If you need Routines For Them I just Mite Have some!!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
You need to call Todd. Apparently his email is most likely jammed w/ questions and orders. Being a one man show w/ tons of orders/ questions i''m sure he doesn't have that much time. Call him...if he doesn't answer, call again later, if he doesn't answer, call again later. He will pick up the phone if your number is not blocked.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, Dollarbill wrote:
You need to call Todd. Apparently his email is most likely jammed w/ questions and orders. Being a one man show w/ tons of orders/ questions i''m sure he doesn't have that much time. Call him...if he doesn't answer, call again later, if he doesn't answer, call again later. He will pick up the phone if your number is not blocked.

Then again - If everyone starts calling poor Todd he'll start not answering his phone too! LOL. I suggest you send emails that are short and have a clear subject. Send once a week and be courteous. He is totally slammed with work and there's just so much one guy can do. A subject like: "I want to buy your Triple Threat Set in Kennedy Half" goes a long way to getting a response instead of "Questions about your coins" . . . Know that SOP for Lassen is that you send an order for an item that he shows is in stock after you get a confirmation that he actually still has it. Then he will hold your check until he makes or ships your item. Then he will cash your check. I suspect Todd has a bench in his workshop with about 100 checks taken on it overlapping in order they were received. I hope this helps. Todd is a fantastic guy with a great sense of humor and he really cares. But he cares about his regulars and his income and his perfection above all else. For me - I will just wait for Todd to surface when right for him. Every item is worth every cent he charges.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
As I had a statement of mine quoted above, let me explain a little further.

Yes, I had a non-Lassen flipper that to my eye, appeared of equal quality to a Lassen. I might also add, the design seems very similar to Lassen's (who I believe is the originator of this design).

The over-arching point should not be "can I find one particular item from a craftsman that is equal to the best?", but rather "whose quality across the board is the best, and by how much...and who are you LEAST likely to be experience disappointment when your item(s) arrive?".

To me, the clear answer is Lassen.

I once purchased an un-expanded shell set from another craftsman, and the quality was as good as I've seen, anywhere. Couple of other items from this craftsman have certainly been serviceable - good, but not really good.

Similar experience with another craftsman - got an expanded shell that was not to my liking at all, and a C/S/B set that was good - and certainly attractive - but still not top notch.

I've purchased - new and used - approximately 7-8 Lassen items over the years. I haven't kept all of them (some funded other purchases), but they did all have one thing in common: when I handled them for the first time (and beyond), there wasn't even a hint of disappointment. Quite the opposite, in fact.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Perfectly stated Chessmann!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you, StarManager.

Btw, My own experience puts what I receive from Joe Mogar a very pleased 2nd place.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Joe is great too but I will also place Todd Lassen at the #1 position by miles.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Todd is just announcing a new line he is considering. See the blog at: https://coolotis.wordpress.com re a new Lassen version of Al Schneider’s Cone and Coin routine.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Elainevblaine, since 99.9% of the posts you have ever made on the Café are to defend or champion Todd Lassen is seems obvious that your relationship goes beyond simply being a satisfied customer.
So would you mind sharing with us what your relationship to Todd is?

BTW, I don't disagree with your comments as I think Todd is the absolute best coin gaffer anywhere or at any time. But I have never met him and do not know him personally.
Just think it's only fair to know how your Lassen fan club came to be.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I went to one of the links and saw this:

"Once everyone sees what he's doing there will be a flood of what used to be the best on E-Bay. My advice is to sell what you have now before it's worthless."

History has shown that this 'passive-aggressive prediction' was (a) without merit (in fact, his work holds its value to a very high degree), and (b) intended to insult and direct business to a competitor.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2017, Chessmann wrote:

Yes, I had a non-Lassen flipper that to my eye, appeared of equal quality to a Lassen. I might also add, the design seems very similar to Lassen's (who I believe is the originator of this design).

The over-arching point should not be "can I find one particular item from a craftsman that is equal to the best?", but rather "whose quality across the board is the best, and by how much...and who are you LEAST likely to be experience disappointment when your item(s) arrive?".

I once purchased an un-expanded shell set from another craftsman, and the quality was as good as I've seen, anywhere. Couple of other items from this craftsman have certainly been serviceable - good, but not really good.

Similar experience with another craftsman - got an expanded shell that was not to my liking at all, and a C/S/B set that was good - and certainly attractive - but still not top notch.

I've purchased - new and used - approximately 7-8 Lassen items over the years. I haven't kept all of them (some funded other purchases), but they did all have one thing in common: when I handled them for the first time (and beyond), there wasn't even a hint of disappointment. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Chessman, the point I was trying to get across is that there are other coin manufactures who can provide quality equal to Lassen depending as you already mentioned upon what you want, where as Lassen would appear to be a good one stop shop for all products perhaps given the overall quality of his workmanship.

As I've mentioned a few times now I have never doubted the quality of Mr Lassens work I merely asked a question to see if he had switched over to the more reliable and better elastic thread with reference to his flipper coins, I have however pointed out that he is a very difficult man to get hold of if you live outside of the USA which is 100% true.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2017, Chessmann wrote:

Chessman, when I quoted you the point I was trying to get across is that there are other coin manufactures who can provide quality equal to Lassen depending as you already mentioned upon what you want, where as Lassen would appear to be a good one stop shop for all products perhaps given the overall quality of his workmanship.

As I've mentioned a few times now I have never doubted the quality of Mr Lassens work I merely asked a question to see if he had switched over to the more reliable and better elastic thread with reference to his flipper coins, I have however pointed out that he is a very difficult man to get hold of if you live outside of the USA which is 100% true.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Warren, I actually wasn't making a reply to anything you said, just wanted to clarify something I said earlier, and then added some thoughts and experiences of my own.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks again guys for your input. If I have to purchase Lassen's coins (probably not this year), I would like them to be new, unused condition, as some people told me that gimmicked coins dropping on the floor may damage such expensive coins, so I won't try to buy such coins in used condition.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, Chessmann wrote:
Warren, I actually wasn't making a reply to anything you said, just wanted to clarify something I said earlier, and then added some thoughts and experiences of my own.

No worries my friend I just didn't want people thinking that I was doubting the very high quality of Lassens coins Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Todd Lassen (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL