The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Todd Lassen (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
Thanks again guys for your input. If I have to purchase Lassen's coins (probably not this year), I would like them to be new, unused condition, as some people told me that gimmicked coins dropping on the floor may damage such expensive coins, so I won't try to buy such coins in used condition.

I would not buy Lassen coins on the internet. I would at a convention or a place where I can see the quality of what I am being offered. The machining here is to incredible tolerances. Would not buy unless I could handle first. Also - on line there are others claiming to have Lassen items which are not Lassen. Just buy directly from Todd. Suggest the first buy be a Gravity F####er as it is wildly useful for many effects and can be combined with later purchases.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
[quote]On Jan 21, 2017, On The Offbeat wrote:
Elainevblaine, since 99.9% of the posts you have ever made on the Café are to defend or champion Todd Lassen is seems obvious that your relationship goes beyond simply being a satisfied customer.
So would you mind sharing with us what your relationship to Todd is?

Yeah, not going there. Rat of Lab already tried that angle. There are many here from the good old days when the name of Lassen was not even allowed to be uttered, unless it was in dissent. Any review or praise of his products were blackballed and deleted immediately, members were banned for a good word about Lassen, and you may read the exact words of policy in regards to Lassen at the time, in the Genii article I provided, written and backed up by the man himself.

Now when you consider how many magicians read this site, just try to fathom how much business this took away from Mr.Lassen. It is incomprehensible. And unforgivable. You have guys ripping his stuff the minute it hits the market, the originator and original product was hidden from view due to a policy here, while Brad Henderson writes reviews for the KNOCKOFF in a major magic publication, also without even a mention of the originator. Yep, that happened in this world of magicians all crying over who stole who's material, supposedly in the name of ethics. And that's just about equal to robbing Lassen with a gun, and I'm not talking a few thousand dollars. I'm talking tens upon tens of thousands of dollars. How much money has JS made off of his 3CM alone? 20G? 50G? He's still making them. How many substandard U3F gaffs were illegally copied from Lassen's design, certainly without permission, and manufactured by Thomas Wayne for Bob Kohler? Well, not that many because they were substandard and didn't work, but let's just say it was 20 sets. Take that times $400 and you have $8000 worth of substandard U3F floating around that don't work (not to mention the limited to 200 sets fiasco advertised by Bob) that maybe someone thinks Lassen made, but more importantly, that is $8000 taken from Lassen in just one example while trying to ruin his name at the same time.

It's worth keeping this information alive, especially considering the extremes that were done to this saint of a man in the past, all linked to politics and bad business. Because the Rat Labs are still out there with their disinfo and fake posts about problems with Lassen products. Keeping them honest is a very small service I can provide for a man that has done so much for the magic community. Lassen used to be very active in defending himself, now I think he cares little and is just too busy to deal. You never see his hilarious posts on his blog anymore. So I will continue to carry the torch for him at MC as long as I can. We could use more.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
" So I will continue to carry the torch for him at MC as long as I can. We could use more. "
From elainevblaine

I agree with the above and count me in to really provide support for Todd Lassen. If others here support Todd Lassen please chime in here by replying to this post. Might be time to organize a clear support group for Todd and make sure the community sees the quality of his work and makes informed decisions.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
As for me, I have no connection to Todd Lassen whatsoever (except as customer). My positive views regarding Lassen gaffs are based upon personal experience with gaffs that I own and use.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, BanzaiMagic wrote:
As for me, I have no connection to Todd Lassen whatsoever (except as customer). My positive views regarding Lassen gaffs are based upon personal experience with gaffs that I own and use.

Likewise.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Todds galf coins are the best of the best.
Although not cheap.For close-up when the spectator
is burning you hands to look at the coins.They will
never see nothing out of the ordinary.And they are so smooth
to work with also.For me it is a no brainer if you want the best.
Todd Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Lassen does not need anyone to defend him or his work. His craftsmanship is unbeatable.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
While I was waiting for Todd to make some Kennedy 64 flippers, I bought one from the competition. Mistake. So bad I sent it back and was told I dropped it etc. Came back just as bad. Never once had an issue with Todd's work and really easy to deal with.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Speaking about him, again, he is difficult to join. Doesn't answer mails, and doesn't pick the phone when I call him. Maybe I'm just out of luck. I want to know the price of the miracle enjoyment chinese set. And the price for an expanded shell of a chinese coin (half dollar size). If someone knows this, please PM me, it will save me some time, for the day I will finally be able to reach him.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
Speaking about him, again, he is difficult to join. Doesn't answer mails, and doesn't pick the phone when I call him. Maybe I'm just out of luck. I want to know the price of the miracle enjoyment chinese set. And the price for an expanded shell of a chinese coin (half dollar size). If someone knows this, please PM me, it will save me some time, for the day I will finally be able to reach him.

OK - You can see all current prices at the following link: https://coolotis.wordpress.com/2014-prices/

Just decide what you want, then send an email to Todd and in the subject put: Todd - Order Confirmation

Ask Todd to confirm he will make this for you or has it in stock. It may take a couple of weeks but you should get an answer if you are specific like this.

Then you pay by mailing Todd a check or using PayPal plus 4% of the purchase price plus $20 for shipping.

Hope this helps!
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks for the reply. I will try as you suggest and be explicit in the title.

However, I've seen this link before. There is no price for a single shell made out of a chinese coin (half dollar size) and the price of the MEC set (chinese coins in half dollar size).
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:

However, I've seen this link before. There is no price for a single shell made out of a chinese coin (half dollar size) and the price of the MEC set (chinese coins in half dollar size).

I will send Todd a message about this for you and tell him to look for your note. Suggest you send it now so this is fresh when he checks his mail.

In Todd's defense he is a single man shop who needs to supply his regulars who he knows over time and responds well to. He is famous for being wildly creative and he needs time to do that too. He is inundated with new people asking questions when he needs to sort through the mail fast and find the customers who need to buy. Once you get some gaffs from Todd you will find contact easier. What he makes is so worth the wait and the cost.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Half Dollar Miracle Enjoyment Set with milled edges… 120

That is the chinese coin set you said you did not see.
That is a set which is 4 coins and a shell.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:

Todd has a message from me about your needs. Go ahead and send him your email info as suggested earlier. If you do not hear back from Todd in a week let me know by PM and I will call him for you.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Mobius303 wrote:
Half Dollar Miracle Enjoyment Set with milled edges… 120

That is the chinese coin set you said you did not see.
That is a set which is 4 coins and a shell.

I was referring to this :
http://www.toddlassen.com/mec.htm

Oddly, the title is "Miracle Enjoyment Chinese Coins" and not "Half Dollar Miracle Enjoyment Set". I don't know why.

Thanks StarManager. I sent him a mail yesterday. I'm still waiting for his reply. Honestly, if the MEC I am looking for is just 120 dollars, the price is more than reasonable.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, magic135455 wrote:
You will get ElaineBlaine and others defending Todd Lassen but the truth is the truth as good as his stuff is most people do not want to deal with him.

I do not know who you are sir. I will tell you that Todd Lassen's blogs get tremendous response from professional magicians, collectors and hobbyists alike. I do not know how you arrive at "most people don't want to deal with him" but I can say as a retail client who has thousands of dollars of Todd Lassen gear, I find his work and personality beyond exquisite. I have had real dialogues with Todd and he's made special efforts for me. I find humor and camaraderie on his blog and nothing but deep respect from clients who have trusted him and dealt with him for years. I believe I have seen almost every coin set or gaff manufactured in the past 50 years. I managed Hollywoods Magic Corner back in my day and I played with every item that came in. I am a dealer at Murphy's today handling an exclusive clientele and have every coin gaff and most of the DVD's put out in the past decade. NOTHING compares to Todd Lassen. Period. The guy is the Michelangelo of crafted coin work. He's not capable of talking to everyone all day. One man shop. Just because you can fire off an email these days doesn't obligate Todd to respond in 3 minutes. It's simply wrong and defamatory to publicly state that people don't want to deal with him. If you'd ever owned one of his creations you wouldn't be so quick to criticize. Mastery takes time. Savor the quality and give the man a break. To those of you considering buying from Lassen instead of just trash talking, I can give no higher praise for any manufacturer in this industry. Supporting him gets new creativity for all of us. That's my 2 cents.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I bought one of Todd's original 3 Fly put out by Kohler, either 1st or 2nd run. It might have been Kohler who gave me Todd's contact info, not sure. But have purchased coins from Todd since then. No issues and I enjoy dealing with Todd. Never had to send a coin back for any reason.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
On a slightly different topic, I just went to Lassen's web/blog and the amount of pictures, videos and explanation he put in the last month or so is great, regardless your personal opinion on him or if you bought from him or not, his items are too expensive for my hobbist budget and my 2 lassen's gimmicks I bought them at the Café, so no strings attached.
Go to his page and just read through as an educational piece on manufacturing process, very cool. He has a long comment on split coins that is very good, the use of cork, etc.

It is similar as education value to the pages that Jim Riser had in his web showing his mfg. process for cups
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, magic135455 wrote:
You will get ElaineBlaine and others defending Todd Lassen but the truth is the truth as good as his stuff is most people do not want to deal with him.

The most common issue I have heard is that he doesn't get back to emails and people should call direct.

That isn't really dealing with him, but people tend to want to connect to him in a way that suits them best.
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Just kind of reviving an old post because I too am having a very hard time contacting Todd Lassen to order coins from. From what I see some people seem to reach him fairly easy, others are in the same boat I seem to be in. Unanswered E-Mails and Phone calls. It's just that I don't know if the reason for not responding is because of low inventory, heavy work load, semi retirement, but whatever the reason I can respect that. It is what it is. But I just wanted to get a set or two of coins from a person that I think has great craftsmanship, and that's just from pictures I have seen, and reputation I have heard. I wasn't sure if I should keep trying, or go elsewhere's at this point.

So here's a question, does anyone know if; Todd is planning a run in the near future on some coins, or if there is a reputable site that sells some of Todd's work. The Triple Threat would be a great find for me.

Thanks to anyone that can fill in any current news on Todd Lassen's coin selling situation...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Todd Lassen (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL