The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown "Tractor" Effect (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Hi all,

There is an effect that Derren performs on his DVD as follows:

He has someone from the audience, has him blindfolded, then produces a drawing of a tractor. All other spectators are asked to concentrate on the picture and transmit the image to the blindfolded person. Of course, the individual correctly identifies the picture!

I think Derren also performed this on a chat show.

I know that the guts of the technique lie in the linguistics, but can anybody out there state where I can learn this effect---or the techniques involved?

Many thanks.

Paul
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Watch out, Paul, you might get bashed for this one.

I wish I could tell you where you could learn it, but I'm guessing this is one of Derren's pet effects, and therefore it probably hasn't been published.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
876 Posts

Profile of nimrod
PS (and you know what that stands for...)
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Aha! I think Nimrod is suggesting you look at Banachek's work.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
Pk Magic, if you want to learn this effect as performed by Derren, then, in common parlance, you are out of luck.

Derren has not published this effect, and I honestly don't think that anybody should be performing this but him, as to do so would be wrong. However, if you want to study the techniques involved for educational purposes and not emulation purposes, then I suggest a good place to start is Psychological Subtleties, but don't expect to find your answer there entirely.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Just to point out that I was doing the same kind of effect (maybe with a different methodology ) far long before Mr.Brown did it on TV!

It's not because I want the paternity of the idea, but my question is, now that he did it on TV, does that mean that I can never publish or do it in my stage show, my work on a very similar effect (of someone naming a hidden drawing to test his/her intuition )?

I am curious now? Any opinion?

Humbly,

Kuffs
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
Hi Kuffs, the idea of independently developing different techniques to accomplish the same or similar looking end effects is one that I think is easily dealt with. If you can establish that you were performing your version (using your methodology) before Derren's version then there is nothing to stop you from publishing or performing it.

Derren deserves credit for raising the awareness of this type of effect, but I see nothing that infringes your right to perform your effect so long as your method is different from him. Actually, this issue has been raised in a thread within Inner Thoughts called 'Derren Brown Word Association'.
Houdinibleeding
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Houdinibleeding
There are many versions of this effect in print.There is nothing original to this effect, I'm afraid.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
So, name some printed sources, HB!
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
So if by any chance to method is the same, I am screw?

Just because I've not donr it on TV first! And Houdinibleeding brings exactly what I want to read. They are some routines like this one already in print, and Brown's routine is only a version of it.

I will check my files to find where I got the inspiration for my own routine.

See you all later Smile

Kuffs
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
876 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Doing an effect on TV isn't different from doing it during a show for that matter. Brown's routines are very much like Blaine's: old tricks with new dress (and a clever one I must admit). If I stop doing effects that Derren did on his TV programs, I will have to let go half of my material.
Do what you believe is original with you. Let's face it: since there are no solid rules for magic copyrights issues, you can do whatever you want without fear. The only question is how do you feel about yourself, and in that case I'm sure you feel great.

Nimrod , Israel
chappy
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of chappy
This has a strong effect. If there is one thing I sought to learn after seeing this, it was how to make all of my presentations appear this clean and direct. Still working at it.
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Houdinibleeding
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

I wonder why some people are doing effects only because other performers are using them, and they have no wish whatsoever to be even a bit original in their act.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Ive been doing this effect for years and years. Lee earle "Train of Thought"---it will be in his new book M.I.N.D.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Derren Brown suggests on his DVD that it was accomplished by saying how "attractive" the audience looked (except he said "a tractor").

If you believe this, I would suggest you not try this in a show because that's not going to work. There has to be a lot more to this effect than we saw. I have no idea how he got the reaction from the kid himself afterwards, but it must have been pretty creative!

Jonathan Grant
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Do answer many PM and email I have received. No, I will not publish in a near future my routine. I want to keep it to myself, because I'm still using it.

But mostly it will be a lake of respect to jump on the opportunity to publish something that Mr.Brown will certainly not want to share!

Thanks for your interest, and take care

Kuffs
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
Given that it's a TV effect, you can bet there were things that we didn't see. You only have to look at how different the effects performed in the live show are to the ones on TV to realise how much he (and his production team/advisers) are using that particular media to their advantage.
Houdinibleeding
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

That's right. There is a big contrast between the live show and the TV program, which sort of gives some of the game away.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
I saw Derren do this effect on a live chat show, different drawing, same effect. So no edits, stooges, etc. Maybe it's some sort of pre-show work?
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I hate speculating, but since he chooses his volunteer quite emphatically I would agree with Harry. A lovely effect.

He gave a hilarious pseudo-explanation of this effect on the E4 Mind Control Night.
I believe it's on the DVD as well.
Hello.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown "Tractor" Effect (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL