The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The End of restaurant magic (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Is it the beginning of the end of restaurant magic ?
I been trying to get work. Two restaurants let me go because of new owners and budget cuts. Now we have 100 tv sets in a place , ipads ,phones ect
Any thoughts ?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19729 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Never had more work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3078 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I've lost restaurants over the years due to them being bought by larger conglomerates BUT I always managed to find new venues.

Don't give up.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
You just have to find a good fit and the right owner / manager. Poitive feedback from the clientele means allot. If the management is not getting enthusiastic / poitive feedback then what do they need you for? I watched your video and you look like a fun talented guy. Just keep trying.

Someone once told me the harder you work the luckier you get and 80% of sucess is just being there, showing up.
Good luck.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I will be in Chicago next month for Christmas...where can I take a handful of friends/relatives to see some restaurant magic? I have herd that restaurant magic is alive and well in Chicago so I'm excited for my trip.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Contact Jonathan Kamm and find out where he will be working. If you can't find him here, he's on Facebook.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Thanks Michael...
Jon Strum
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
Beginning of the end? I've found that there's always room at the top. Don't worry about the state of restaurant magic. Just make sure that when you perform, people walk away feeling as if they've been treated to something special.
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Check out the Chicago Magic Lounge. My buddy John works there.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, twistedace wrote:
Check out the Chicago Magic Lounge. My buddy John works there.



...thanks for the tip! Looks like they have magicians only one night a week. Unfortunately the Thursday I will be there will be Thanksgiving.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I always have restaurant work. I've been playing the same restaurant now for 8 years and play at other locations in the same company. If you'd like a fresh perspective, try going here: www.sleightlydelusional.com
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
210 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Hi Peppermeat2000,

There is a lot of magic to see/be a part of in Chicago: Some of the below options might be subject to change during the Christmas Holiday.

1. You have The Magic Parlor at the Palmer Hotel: http://themagicparlourchicago.com

2. The Chicago Underground Lounge, every Thursday night: http://www.uptownunderground.net/ox_port......-lounge/

3. The Magic Cabaret on Wednesdays: http://www.magic-cabaret.com

4. Magic Chicago Show: http://www.magicchicagoshow.com Although, it appears they only have one show during December and it is on the 2nd.

5. O'Donavan's Restaurant has live strolling magicians, Fridays through Sundays (6-9PM): http://www.odonovansbar.com , which happens to be two blocks from my place.

6. You can see me perform every Friday (2-8pm) and Saturday (1-6pm) at Lagunitas Brewery, kid friendly, live music, great beer, quality food, and free tours. I have my own desingated table (black jack size), however, I will be flying home from December 23-30th. It is still a fun place to visit. https://lagunitas.com/taprooms/chicago

7. There is also a great magic shop called Magic Inc. worth a trip and they can help with any additional magic shows in Chicago: http://www.magicinc.net/about-us.aspx

Some of these shows have discounts on goldstar.com as well as other discounts on Chicago shows. I hope this helps...

Best,

Mike O'Donnell
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, Mike ODonnell wrote:
Hi Peppermeat2000,

There is a lot of magic to see/be a part of in Chicago: Some of the below options might be subject to change during the Christmas Holiday.

1. You have The Magic Parlor at the Palmer Hotel: http://themagicparlourchicago.com

2. The Chicago Underground Lounge, every Thursday night: http://www.uptownunderground.net/ox_port......-lounge/

3. The Magic Cabaret on Wednesdays: http://www.magic-cabaret.com

4. Magic Chicago Show: http://www.magicchicagoshow.com Although, it appears they only have one show during December and it is on the 2nd.

5. O'Donavan's Restaurant has live strolling magicians, Fridays through Sundays (6-9PM): http://www.odonovansbar.com , which happens to be two blocks from my place.

6. You can see me perform every Friday (2-8pm) and Saturday (1-6pm) at Lagunitas Brewery, kid friendly, live music, great beer, quality food, and free tours. I have my own desingated table (black jack size), however, I will be flying home from December 23-30th. It is still a fun place to visit. https://lagunitas.com/taprooms/chicago

7. There is also a great magic shop called Magic Inc. worth a trip and they can help with any additional magic shows in Chicago: http://www.magicinc.net/about-us.aspx

Some of these shows have discounts on goldstar.com as well as other discounts on Chicago shows. I hope this helps...

Best,

Mike O'Donnell




Thank you Mike...I'll be looking into a couple of the places that you mentioned. Happy Thanksgiving!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I need to move to Chi town.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

............................................

God bless you and have a magical day
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, andrew martin wrote:
Is it the beginning of the end of restaurant magic ?
I been trying to get work. Two restaurants let me go because of new owners and budget cuts. Now we have 100 tv sets in a place , ipads ,phones ect
Any thoughts ?

Back On Topic...............................
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Do more phone tricks
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Unfortunately, the majority of the general public has no idea that restaurant magic even exists. In that context restaurant magic never even had a beginning. I applaud those who pursue performing for the general public, regardless of the venue that they choose. Personally, I would much rather see close-up magic be the main focus of an evenings entertainment rather than a diversion while waiting for the appetizers to arrive. On the flip side, I suppose that at least we have a small contingency of restaurant workers who bring the joy of magic to the general public, otherwise it really would be the end of restaurant magic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19729 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
AMEN!

For a LONG time now I have been shocked at close up magic being relegated to the dust bin of entertainment. It is 3 tricks hopefully prior to the salad! OH MAN it is no way to work. I refuse to work that way.

At Schuliens and every place I have worked since it is after the meal, it is sitting at the table like it has been for 100 plus years. It MATTERS. It is not something that keeps the kids busy on family nights so parents can talk till the salad arrives. Part of the problem is the societal changes of hurry up now do it! That does nothing to help. Restaurants wanting to turn and burn tables and such also hurts the cause.

But finding places to do this type of actual performance are not impossible, it just takes time to look for them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
210 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I agree with the above posts, which is why I really like the set-up I have at my location. A designated table/area just for magic. People come because they want to be entertained. It makes for a great time by both the entertainer and the spectators/participants. There are no worries about interrupting or intruding, people that sit down are there by choice.

Mike
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
AMEN!

For a LONG time now I have been shocked at close up magic being relegated to the dust bin of entertainment. It is 3 tricks hopefully prior to the salad! OH MAN it is no way to work. I refuse to work that way.

At Schuliens and every place I have worked since it is after the meal, it is sitting at the table like it has been for 100 plus years. It MATTERS. It is not something that keeps the kids busy on family nights so parents can talk till the salad arrives. Part of the problem is the societal changes of hurry up now do it! That does nothing to help. Restaurants wanting to turn and burn tables and such also hurts the cause.

But finding places to do this type of actual performance are not impossible, it just takes time to look for them.


Dust Bin of entertainment? For me a least that has not been my experience. I guess I can speak from experience since I've been performing in this scenario into my 15th year. It depends on one's personality, approach, people skills and what is being offered. Just this past week the GM of one of my restaurant venues stressed how much they like having me there. I was humbled and thankful for the compliment.

Sure I agree, I would be optimal to have the scenario where he focus of the evening is magic as opposed to the often times interrupted routines by the wait staff with dinner. But since I don't have that scenario or choose to create one, and perform as I do, the patrons sure seem to love it and that is what it is all about. Not MY perfect scenario rather providing an enjoyable unique experience for them. Do I get the occasional "no we're no interested", yes, but rarely. I works for me and I'm glad I didn't listen to the above advice when I first started. My opinion of course.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The End of restaurant magic (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.41 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL