The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BOND by Thinking Paradox (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Looks neat but is this decent for parlour as advertised?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6316

Anyone around got this?
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Looks amazing and too good to be true? wow.
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
268 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
It does look really really good. Waiting for a review from a brave soul...
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
It's a very good illusion. One that I'm guessing does not look nearly as good using thicker wedding bands.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Yes more review's needed please.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
So the reviews on Penguin itself (forgetting about the "it's great, gotta get it, add to cart now!" ;-)
say that it is a small easily made gimmick (no surprise - no exposure here), inexpensive, a bit angle sensitive but useful for small stage/parlour but not walk around, depending on your audience management. Also says he recommends 6 feet distance, but the video is way closer than that - may just be the angles. I looked at the video multiple times to see if I can see any obvious angle issue and it looks like it is pretty well done showing a number of ways the rings can be shown to link and unlink.

Straight-on view in the demo looks killer, and it says both borrowed, no switches. For $7.50, not bad to take a chance. I mean, brown bag lunch for 2 days and it's paid for ;-)

I may get it tonight and if so, will let y'all know. I do dinner parties, sometimes walkaround and sometimes semi-surrounded captive audience (parlour-ish) so not sure how angley it is...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, Gorecki wrote:
It does look really really good. Waiting for a review from a brave soul...

Brave at 7 Bucks. Hardly.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Alright, so I picked this up and just watched it. Here goes:

- The instructions are not in english, but the subtitles are just fine and it doesn't seem to harm it at all.

- The suggestions for storing the gimmicks and the little gimmick holder he made is awesome.

- The method is super simple and he shows it right away which is nice. I hate waiting through 30 minutes of "our story" to get to the goods.

- The gimmick is a very clever idea and I think it would work well. He makes his a bit bigger than I would, but that's something I'd have to experiment with.

It's not ideal for walk around because of how close people can get, but I think keeping it quick and always moving might help. Ideally, that distance of 6 feet would certainly help sell the illusion because it's more difficult to get a sense of depth. At that distance, you can probably take your sweet time and milk it. The camera certainly gets closer but that's because it can be controlled and it only has one eye.

I'm sure you could push the limits a little bit with this one, but it was definitely worth 8 bucks. I haven't played with it in my hands yet, but if it looks that good I can honestly see myself using it.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Oh and one more thing - it's super clean too.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thanks Chris. Also great reviews on Penguin thus far.
Ramius
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, OK
82 Posts

Profile of Ramius
Is it me, or was this thing $4.50 this morning, and has gone up to the $7.50? And I think I saw that happen again maybe last week at Penguin too, where the coolbox was cheaper in the AM than the PM. Or am I just getting older...
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
I love this.

At first I was concerned about how close-up it could be done, but then realized that anytime you're BORROWING 2 rings, you'll almost always have a small crowd of people in your audience to begin with. So it'll always be natural to stand 6+ feet back so everyone can see. The illusion is beautiful, and the premise elegantly eliminates the limitations in a cool way Smile
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I agree it looks excellent. If it's really so performance then this is a fantastic illusion. What a perfect linking ring routine for a wedding gig.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Are there lighting issues/restrictions ?
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Just bought it with tomorrow's lunch money ;-)

Very nice. Simple. Easy to make. Not sure I'm totally jazzed with how to store/load the gimmick for performance, but that's personal preference and messing with it till it fits me.

Lighting? Probably not an issue. But angles could be a problem. I would treat this as I would IT. In other words, if the situation was not right, I would not push it because it is, as you would expect, a visual illusion, and marginal audience management, or totally surrounded or very close up could marginalize it to the point of getting busted. So as with IT, when in doubt, leave IT out.

That said, excellent value for the small investment and I can certainly see myself doing this. Watched it twice because I was trying to watch the screen carefully but had to read the subtitles too, so a coupla viewings and you're good to go.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Impressive. Download is very well done. Teaching is top notch. Method is simple but effective. Several great variations taught. Also nice that he makes it clear in the ad that this is for parlor only, not close up or walk around. Definitely usable in the real world.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I bought Pinch from Paradox they produce excellent video as well as instructions !
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
This is beautiful. So simply devious. My favorite download purchase since Cointum Leap.
eralph357
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eralph357
Weird, now it is $15 - up from $4.50 yesterday morning? Is that typical? I haven't noticed that before. Or does pricing differ by customer? I wonder...
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Must be doing well and they are experimenting with pricing until they find the breaking point
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BOND by Thinking Paradox (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL