The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Moving a table with hidden depths - help please (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Hello,

I was thinking of creating a table, apparently thin but with a large hidden chamber by using a m*****. Is it possible to carry such a beast on and off a stage in a parlour setting (or stage) without the deception being noticed?

Does anyone already create such a table and if so what is it called?

thank you for your help,

Danny
Let the Entertainment Commence!
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Sorry I realised that what I wanted won't work this way. Can anyone suggest a table which looks thin at the front, has no fringing (is looks like a normal table) but can contain bulky items within it and where the performers legs can still be seen when standing behind the table?

Many thanks,

Danny
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was taught NOT to stand BEHIND a table.

Anything between the performer and the spectators, tends to create a psychological barrier between the performer and the spectators.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Fair point, There are examples though....like levitations
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I've been working on a 4 foot wide table like that for multiplying bottles. (Ideas and more ideas but nothing concrete) you need a wide (but not deep) table like that so all the bottles play out.

So how would you do multiplying bottles without standing behind a table?
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
In Technique and Understanding Jim Steinmeyer shows the perfect table you're looking for.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Osborne published in Genii Magazine an elevator table for one bottle. I always wanted to build it, but never got around to it.

RedHatMagic, you ask a very difficult, you ask for a table that has no deception. That is like asking is their a car without any kind of engine. Come on, give a little, here.

Go back to the 1940's, they made wood kitchen tables (usually painted white), now we call them accent tables. They had 4 legs, and supporting wood frame under the top to hold it down and the legs firmly attached. Now there is all the room you need for any kind of hiding place. It is only a beast if you make it one.

You don't mention what kind of use you are envisioning, so it is hard to help.

Just make so you can take it apart for traveling.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
I've been working on a 4 foot wide table like that for multiplying bottles. (Ideas and more ideas but nothing concrete) you need a wide (but not deep) table like that so all the bottles play out.

So how would you do multiplying bottles without standing behind a table?

Hi Jay!

The "XXXing" bottles would be the "exception that proves the rule"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
And the the extra two are 5 inches in diameter
That's hard to hide in a table like that, but I'll do it. .
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
I think Paul rohmanys briefcase illusion may be the answer
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
I was taught NOT to stand BEHIND a table.

Anything between the performer and the spectators, tends to create a psychological barrier between the performer and the spectators.

So wouldn't you make exceptions for routines where there is little choice ie cups and balls, multiplying bottles, etc. ?
I guess I am assuming that you are referring to small side tables?
garywest
View Profile
New user
South Florida
32 Posts

Profile of garywest
Owen Redwine had a beautiful table for sale on his website... Illusions4sale.com... But don't go there... It's not up and running now. The table was a full size dining room table that looked very thin from the front but was actually thick enough to contain an assistant. If this is what you are looking for, get in touch with him through Facebook and he can build or sell you a top quality piece.
It's better to have a bottle in front of you... than to have a frontal lobotomy!
MagicSA
View Profile
New user
South Africa
67 Posts

Profile of MagicSA
In Steinmeyer's Technique and Understanding there is such an optical table. He has two versions in th book. Quite complex, but well worth the trouble.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Moving a table with hidden depths - help please (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL