The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » For the serious or full time (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
1 when you negotiate a show do you guarantee a time, by this I mean the way I see it my show is interactive and dependant how much the crowd is enjoying it. Some of my shows are longer and some are shorter based on a number of factors within the audience. I ask because for the first time out of the maybe 160 paid shows I have done the event coordinator commented that I didn't do the full 45 minutes. He said next time I should be more clear and there will be because he liked my show. Just curious since we are dependant on many factors not necessarily in our control if anyone else has this issue or is the rest of the world more precise and disciplined.
Thanks

David
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is more suited for the Tricky Business section of this board, but almost every show I've booked for myself or other artists is for a specified amount of time, without question. Unless you clearly state an exception or allowed variances due to conditions, the specified and agreed to time will be expected.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
The more elaborate the event you're performing at, the less control you'll have over timing on the night. If you're performing in line with any sort of kitchen schedule, be prepared for your times to go wrong (and that's not a commentary on the hospitality staff - in my experience they are usually great about trying to serve in line with the performer's timing needs, but you'll always have people who eat exceptionally slowly!!)

If you're doing corporate events rather than stage shows, then you need to work out in advance how you will handle timing issues. I've had clients ask me to shorten my presentation because things were running behind on the night due to late arrivals etc, and the Boss' speech was seen to be the most important thing - it *had* to happen at 9pm. The first time it happened, I was taken by surprise. The second time, I was ready.

It's a good idea to plan out what you can add and what you can cut at short notice if you're working corporate. Note that this doesn't always mean effects - you can add or cut anecdotes to shift a few minutes in your show time.

But I do recommend over-preparing, and thinking in advance about which effect(s) you would cut if you need to. I don't personally advocate planning for a 45 minute show with a couple of extra tricks to pull out when you're running under time. I [I]do[I] recommend planning a 55 minute show and selling it as 45, and plotting one or two items that can be dropped without affecting your flow. The difference? Adding in an extra trick on the fly often comes out messy and disjointed, and if I'm considering it to be a backup plan, I'm probably not going to give it due attention in my rehearsal.

Your mileage may vary.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I agree with C.J. Plan to make your show longer than it needs to be, with modular pieces that can easily be removed without seeming to make any changes. When they book you for 45 minutes, you should do 45 minutes.

I understand the trickiness that this case pose when your show uses a lot of audience interaction. My entire show is like that. But I have purposely timed it so I know how long each interaction should last in order to stay in line with my timing for an hour long show.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's best to set the time for a show once you've learned all the variables. On the one hand it's a mistake to be pressured into doing a longer show than you feel comfortable with. On the other hand it is an error to come up short on the time you've promised. I still have the odd occasion where I've blown through my effects and can see I am five minutes ahead of where I need to be in a show. That's why I always carry one or two effects that I once had in my show, but have since removed. That way if I know I'm coming up short, I can put one into the run.

Keep in mind that you can also repeat some effects like a CT. Just because people have seen the routine before doesn't negate performing it again with another person. Once I was on a grandstand stage and the act that followed me was running late. The organizer asked me to stretch the show...and I lined up five people from the audience and did a CT with each of them in turn. It woked perfectly. I was a hero to the client -- which is always a good thing.

I also have a small digital timer that I bought for five bucks. I put this on my table and start it when I begin my performance. The numbers are nice and big and, since I've done my show so many times, I have good idea of where I'm supposed to be at any given time...so I'll know if I'm coming up short.

We only see events through our eyes...but the organizer sees the whole thing. Maybe they have something planned after your show and finishing early screws up their scheduling...which is why they're upset. It's also why going OVER your time is as big an error as coming up short.

Err on the side of caution...and deliver exactly what you've promised. Hope this is helpful.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2015, David Thiel wrote:
We only see events through our eyes...but the organizer sees the whole thing. Maybe they have something planned after your show and finishing early screws up their scheduling...which is why they're upset. It's also why going OVER your time is as big an error as coming up short.

David

This is a great point. Running short isn't good, but a few minutes may only be noticed by the event coordinator. Running long can affect much more in a tightly coordinated atmosphere. I find often that the room has to be cleared at a specific time (if rented).
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Bendeck
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Bendeck
I always have an encore effect just in case my show is a couple of minutes less than required.

Also, I don't know if you do this, but I record most of my shows. This helps me to keep track of the duration of each routine. On top of that, the other routines that vary in length can be noticed (one routine on my mind right now plays for 7 or 10 minutes, depending on many factors within the routine).

Plus, if you're short on time but finished your show:

Leave the stage, then tell the MC or Event Organiser or HR that you have a very quick thing (less that 3 minutes) to share with the audience (They'll ask you how long it is). If they say yes, they've lost track of the couple of minutes you're short of and everything is fine. However, if they don't have any time for an additional effect, then you've satisfied the client.

I'm interested in knowing how long your show played for? Was it something simple like 40 instead of 45 minutes? Or was it a bigger gap like 35 minutes?

Again, an encore effect is a good solution, especially when you're trying a totally different presentation to the same effect. You'd be surprised by the variation in time that occurs.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Thank you all
Very helpful and insiteful. I learn something new from every show and every venue it seems.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » For the serious or full time (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL