We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PK M*** in a Retirement Home? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Is this a bad thing to do? How close do you have to be to turn off pacemakers? Should I avoid the elderly in general if I'm wearing one of these?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I don't use PK magnets in most situations. Loops are a good alternative.
Stefan Behrens
View Profile
New user
Schwarzenbek, Germany
38 Posts

Profile of Stefan Behrens
Hi ivan 7

Your question for the distance between pacemaker and Pk 5 can be answered as follows :

1. At a pacemaker control the magnet rate will be used as indicator for battery life. For that the magnet is laid directly on the pacemaker. The pacemaker paces then, with a frequency between 60 and about 100 bpm. Most people will not recognize this.
2. If there is a distance of about 50 cm there should be no reaction of the pacemaker.

Stefan Behrens
jiggyjer
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of jiggyjer
Good lord. I've posted elsewhere about the risks of damaging someone's watch with a PK magnet. I think we would all agree that risking someone's heart is a far greater risk than damaging a watch or loosing a ring during a Ring Flight routine. Why take such a stupid risk unless you can raise someone's grandfather from the dead, in which case why bother with PK effects!

J
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Hmmm... Maybe the safest thing to do is just pass the idea to Stephen King.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
JiggyJer is correct, if you wouldn't stop someone else's watch (or even if you would). Please, please don't risk it. Stick to stopping your pulse, not someone else's. Unless you are using Jermay's method Smile
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
A couple of points. First a PK gimmick generates a magnetic field, which is quite different than a microwave, which generates electromagnetic waves. However, any magnetic field can interfere with another magnetic (read electrical) field when within the areas of influence of the other field.

Using a PK gimmick will stop a watch when it is under the influence of the magnetic field, which usually is fairly close. (I'm not familiar with PK; so I don't know the distance limitations of the device.)

Secondly, unless you are using the PK gimmick to stop the Pacemaker (which I'm sure you're wanting to avoid at all costs), performing the PK effect should be harmless.

Finally, remember warnings on Pacemakers generally state to stay away from unshielded (read older) microwaves. There are no warnings to stay away from magnetic fields, which are in every moter (printer, television,computer, DVD player, even a car generates a field).

In the final analysis, if you are just performing PK for a group of people, don't worry about it. But if you need to be sure...get a compass and see at what distance the gimmick fails to deflect it. You then know your limitations and adjust accordingly.

Steven
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Thanks for the advice Steven and everyone else. I determined the field range for the PK gimmick I'm using, and its only an inch or so. So unless I end up with my knee to the spect's chest for some reason there shouldn't be any negative effects.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3453 Posts

Profile of Looch
And for the sicker ones out there...why not try the PK heart attack? Darth Vader would have loved it!

That is a joke btw, no PM messages
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Stefan Behrens
View Profile
New user
Schwarzenbek, Germany
38 Posts

Profile of Stefan Behrens
Hi everyone

A last word on pacemakers - theer is no way to stop a pacemaker with a permanent magnet - even if you put the magnet on the pacemaker. You can get interference with PULSED (!) magnetic/electric fields.

So, as Steven Steele told us, we will find at many places in our daily living. Also theft detecting in supermarkets, sendigd stations in LF and VLF etc....

So, I think there is no risk by using PK at a normal stage situation in a retirement home.
In about ten years of controlling pacemakers in Germany (about 1.800 per year), there was no accident with malignat hesrt rhythm problems.

With kindest regards

Stefan Behrens
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PK M*** in a Retirement Home? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL