We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Favorite piece of stage rope magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Haagen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Brian Haagen
I am putting together my stage show, and I would like to include a rope effect. What is your favorite rotuine that you do on stage, that plays just as well for say 100 people as it does for 500 people. I am looking for a routine that has a bit of length to it open for a nice presentation. Price isn't much of an issue, I am far more worried about the maximum imapct of the effect. Thanks.
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
I think Daryl's routine is one of the best, I use it quite often.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Without a doubt, the Tabary Rope Routine.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
The best thing to do is to buy all the rope routines available. Learn them all as well as possible. Then you will have enough experience to put your own act together. It's just too easy today for magicians to say, "I want to do a ring routine. Whose should I use?"

You will be much better off using your own personality and learned skills to construct your very own signature effet. Why repaint the Mona Lisa? Brian, there's a wealth of information in Flip's Rope video.
Enough moves and sleights to put an act together. But don't stop there; check out Daryl and Tabary. Learn them all while you are still young, and you will be better than all of the other cookie cutters out there.

Cheers
Charlie
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I would also recommend the rope work of Salvano. Whilst he isn't using original methods, he has revolutionised the handling of the most common rope manoeuvres, making them look as close to 'real magic' as possible!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22510 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sterling Comedy cut & restored rope. Five minutes of great fun.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sterling's is great, but Salvano's is another overlooked artist. I think he's way better than Tabary.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4856 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
You may want to look at Aldo Colombini's rope work which is on a number of his videos. My rope routine (which I have performed on stage with patter) is eclectic but draws a lot on Aldo's work.
Magicol-1
View Profile
New user
Orlando
85 Posts

Profile of Magicol-1
Pavel's super walking knot is great (see other threads). Also the Tabary rope routine is great.

M1
dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
The routine I use is Jim Pace's "What" in his restaurant lecture video. It can play big to any size and has many baffling effects. I have Tabary's second video and was very pleased...a lot more involved but very nice magic.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'll second checking Aldo Colombini's work... funny stuff and clever too.
Doug Howe
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Doug Howe
Sandsational, Daryl, Tabary (both videos), Aldo Columbini and three ropes and a baby are all wonderful rope effects, suitable for stage or parlour.

-=> Rubber Dougie <=-
magicmanx
View Profile
New user
Working in Benidorm Spain
47 Posts

Profile of magicmanx
Quote:
On 2004-03-02 05:19, Magicol-1 wrote:
Pavel's super walking knot is great M1

I agree, but do not think you can order—and then perform—the walking knot in at least 1000 practices (see another thread) before reaching perfection!! But WELL worth the time and effort, this effect rocks!!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have to say Pavel's Walking Knot.
Daniel Faith
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5344 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Best stage routine using a rope?

For an “in one” routine almost any one of the ones mentioned above will prove very entertaining. A couple that have not been mentioned that are very, very good include Slydini’s “Cut and Restored to Professor’s Nightmare” routine, which is hard to beat for a gimmickless and totally amazing routine. And Steve Bidwell’s opener, which includes a “Stretching Rope to Cut and Instantaneously Restored Tossed Out Rope” routine, is hard to beat for pure “Wow” factor. Of course Steve’s routine uses a very easy to make (homemade), easy to use, gimmick.

However if you want to fill a stage and make your act look really big you can do one of a number of good routines that use a couple of audience/spectator assistants and a long length of rope. In this vein it is extremely difficult to beat the “Cut and Restored Walking Knot” routine. You could use either the Jim Steinmyer ungimmicked rope (but does use a gimmick) version or Pavel Super Walking Knot version (maximum gimmicks). You could even decide to use a “Rope Through Body” routine. Bob Sheets “Hang Em High” is a good gimmicked routine or you could even sue the very old (and gimmickless) “Grant’s Nite Club Rope Through Woman.” Using three spectators to assist you is hard to top.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I will add SHEIGO TEKAGI. His rope routine was teriffic for stage or parlour.
Steve Bidwell is another artist whose rope effects are brilliant.
And finally the work of FLIP. Many magicians use his moves that he created.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I like either Pavel's Super Walking Knot or Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot. Both play big enough for stage.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
I'm pretty new to rope magic.

But what I have been doing is opening with Professors Nightmare (doesn't everybody Smile) then after that is done, I change all 3 ropes into one long rope (no gimmicks are used) then do a C&R.

Chris
ChinaMan
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of ChinaMan
Where can I find the Salvano routine on ROPES? Is there a Video or DVD on this, Thanks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Salvano's great rope material was last seen at http://www.stevensmagic.com

He will fool you.

Have any of you thought of the Kellar Rope Tie?

Posted: May 9, 2004 7:54pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abbott's published the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (I think now two volumes) -- if you can't find what you need there... hang it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Favorite piece of stage rope magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL