The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need input please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
I'm looking to expand what I do and was thinking about getting Losanders floating table...chair suspension (wooden chair) and possibly....lighter than air. I've been talking to tilford in fla. about different illusions. I mainly do smaller type shows in the past and am looking to get more cooporate. Doug Henning got me interested at 8yrs old....im 47 now and love it. Any help would be great.
I also need tips on restuarant work, I've done closeup "street type" for quite sometime and am looking for how to get started in that area...thankyou so much. my email is themagicofjoseph@hotmail.com or jnestoryak@stny.rr.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22650 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is a lot of questions at once. I would not know where to start. You do not need Illusions necessarily to do corporate magic. That area has hospitality suites, conventions, banquets, business meetings to name a few type of events.

Resturant work is short fast quick magic, some of the same material you use in street magic.

If you buy an illusion you still need assistants, lights, music, theater/stage backdrops. Being you do not show what country or what part of the U.S. you are in also may have some bearing on the type of shows you may look into performing.

Do you have a good routine for the floating table? It does not lend itself to all occasions as magic. A seance theme of sorts may apply.

Abbott's Chair Suspension is wood and is better then most on the market. The best would be from Owen's Magic and the most expensive.

There are alot of tape, DVD, books on resturant work. If you can be more specific in your questions, we can give direct answers.

I am 56 yrs. old and been doing magic for almost 50 yrs.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If Doug Henning is your example, go back and look at his old shows. Virtually everything done was old classical magic. He simply did them in a tee shirt, which was the appropriate costume for the mass market at that time. You are following a good example. (Forget the tee shirt! "Free love" turned into "Someone has to be responsible". Look like an adult. Something happened while the clock was ticking.)

Most successful professionals in magic stay very close to the classics because it works. Costumes change and the names of the effects change. Everything else stays pretty much the same. The latest stuff becomes the forgotten stuff too fast. It is great for contests and magic shops but I don't recommend it for professional working magicians. Television shows have to change every taping but live shows do not. Booking agents like to know what they are selling and talent buyers like to know what they are buying. They expect consistency. Build a good act and stay with it.

In corporate magic, this is not a test. Effective business organizations have MBAs that made the decisions long before the magician was hired. They have a definite want list. An individual act fits or it doesn't fit. The way corporations change people, is they get new ones. (I'm an old university professor who taught in the MBA program. I have also been the CEO, CFO, COO and COB.) It works better for a corporate magician to find a client company than an exhibit hall. Many corporate magicians either don't have that choice available to them or simply live in an exhibit area and don’t want to travel. As a consequence, they are short-term employees of the firm. The constant hunt for bookings can be very expensive. But good corporate magic pays well. Bad corporate pays well sometimes. It attracts a lot of magicians. The failure rate is high for both employers and trade show magicians. The fit is critical.

The props needed for corporate magic trade shows is virtually nil compared to the requirements for stage shows. Stage shows require thousands in inventory and in moving and storage equipment. The best arrangement for stage shows is to stay parked and let the audience change. Many of those opportunities are either owner operated where the owner is the magician or they have a paid cast that doesn’t own the show. Otherwise, extensive travel is the way it must be.

Doug Henning was a very successful television and stage magician. In that character, very few top corporate clients would use him today at a trade show. He doesn’t fit the corporate image of most serious businesses. We want to project experienced confidence to accomplish the job rather than boyish wonderment at discovery. At trade shows most exhibitors are selling solutions not experiments. We must entertain with the same level of confidence that we handle the client’s business. Humor is nice; failure to deliver results is fatal to the relationship. The magician is the first impression many customers will ever have of the corporation. Sharp corporations know that.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
Thankyou for the replys. I live in Up state NY...maybe I used the wrong term in corporate....let me see if this helps. In short ....while doing kid shows mostly..I was looking to get say..losanders floating table.a chair suspension, and a zig zag or bow saw illusion...someting to play to the older crowds that I could use to expand what I already do. I love the linking rings, also added a zombie ball..and ultimate dancing hank by don wayne...thanks again and hope to talk to you all again..I just found this site today and Ive been sittin here for 2 hours now lol..time for bed.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That is very different from corporate magic. I think what you really meant is more "commercial" rather than corporate. But that is a very good business too. If you can kick loose, you need to make it to KIDabra in Gatlinburg, TN August 25-28 this year.

kidabraconf@aol.com or http://www.kidabra.com

It will get you off to a great start with experienced magicians who do that type magic in that type market.

It is a great conference for magicians who do family or kid magic. I think it is right on target for you. You will learn how you can expend the audience for your show.

We are happy to see you posting and using The Magic Café. You'll fit right in.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need input please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL