The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Souvenir - Henri White (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
I made the GatheRing comparison near the start of the thread before it launched. It was my hunch, as an ex dealer, that the two would be similar.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3529 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2015, WitchDocChris wrote:
There's always the comment of "The spectator is going to examine this in detail and find the secret!"

Only if you present it as a challenge. I use to do coin bends all the time. I cannot tell you how many people have run into me later and told me they either have the bent coin on their dresser or they keep it on them. Anyone who creates impossible items like that probably experiences this.

If you present it as creating a special thing, just for them, which has meaning - then they don't want to know how you did it. They want it to stay a special thing, just for them.

I agree with you. I am doing this linking two signed cards instead of the traditional "Anniversary Waltz" and I think it makes a great souvenir. In the case of a newly married couple, they are going to keep this as not just a magical moment, but something to remind them of the "magic" in their union.

KJ
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Yeah they will, but curiosity will soon either get the better of them of family and friends when you show/tell them about it and at least one person will want to know how it could possible have been done - so there has to be some type of slit, gap etc in their eyes to which the persistent ones will find the secret. As for example IMO this effect is not fully examinable and I confidentially would not let them have it as a souvenir on the glass as I leave the table - because they will find the secre. Just my opinion/experience and how the minds of performing to people in the real world work.
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
488 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Merry Christmas everyone.

I really like the effect but I have some problems with the "move" right before you link the card onto the stem.
If anybody wants to share their thoughts / ideas via PM I would be very happy

Cheers
Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3529 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Nikki,

I PMd you.

KJ
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
488 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Thanks Smile
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
After watching the DVD I really don't know what do think. As WPR always complains about missing live footage I don't understand why they didn't put any on the DVD...but maybe due to the facts already mentioned above they didn't. I am totally dissapointed and felt a bit "pranked" we he says on the DVD "now the effect is perfect".

As I bought OCL by Ben Williams I still want to give it a try cos I think if you put in some thoughts and work by yourself, this can be a worker even if they sold it like this already.

My problems are the same - I guess - as Nikkis: first I noticed it's better to you use less as possible of the "stuff". But does anyone has a handling or tipp how get the final move right without fumbling, searching, looking, feeling too long?!
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
964 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
OK - I spent 3 hours on this just before Christmas with a very experienced magic buddy who knows his stuff.
We went thru this in fine detail from top to bottom.
At the end of our session we agreed without doubt that this is a worker.
It all boils down to the definition of 'examinable' is our verdict - for what that is worth. Will this pass inspection and scrutiny with the spectator at the table immediately after you have performed it? Yes we belive it will. Will it pass minute, detailed inspection afterwards when you
have gone or the spectator has taken the glass home to study it in very fine detail? Possibly but also possibly not. They may very well detect a tear in the card however, we don't believe they will know or understand how the tear was repaired or put back together - and if they do then they should be performing the trick for you and not the other way around. And let's be honest if people are going to go to that degree of trouble to work out how you performed a trick for them the previous evening then let them get on with it! Who cares? I certainly don't. I am there to perform, to entertain to try and make people smile and be happy for the evening.

As other posters have stated when using 'the stuff' in preparing the gimmick then less is more. The 'knack' to this is, if there is one, is to be very light fingered when doing the restoration and let things just fall into place naturally without trying to force things (hopefully that will make sense to people who have this effect and have attempted to perform it - even in practice?)
I now also put a very tiny pencil dot in one corner on the face of the card so I know the exact position and orientation of the gimmick at all times. For me this means I don't have to think about things so much and there is no need to feel or fumble about you know exactly where everything is and you can then just concentrate of the performance. It may help you also if so then great.

As I have said in previous posts this will take practice to get 'the move' down smooth and it is not for a faint hearted performer as the heat is on virtually all the way throught the effect. But I think it is worth it and most certainly worth working on until you have it off pat.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Jeremybax
View Profile
New user
Lausanne, Switzerland
51 Posts

Profile of Jeremybax
The Idea is good, The trick is good on the heat of the moment but despite what theysay in the presentation of the product it is not "completely" examinable... In the sense that they will probably not find out the trick in the first seconds of examination ...but after a minute or so someone in the group will fo sure find out thetares and from there will work out the technique... quites disappointed.

And for sure to perform it decently you will ruin Decks and decks of cards for practice.
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
I have no problem doing the move without looking. The main problem and weak point ist the perfect alignment. If you don't get it right you ruined the trick, cos people see it immediatley. I wasted now half a deck and the result is quiet dissappointing. If you take your time with it it's maye nice as "impossible object"-gift. If someone has some tipps how to do the alignment right, please pm me. This should have been discussed on the DVD and I don't understand why this important part is missing.
Jeremybax
View Profile
New user
Lausanne, Switzerland
51 Posts

Profile of Jeremybax
I have the same problem .. I ruined a whole deck and I still cannot do it perfectly (sometimes by luck I manage it) but doing it perfectly in performance conditions is near impossible and I asked a friend that is a close up professional to try it (he is much more skilled with his hand then me) and he has the same problem. So in the end the conlusion is The idea is good but this Trick doesn't work most of the time...
I even sent back my DVD for refund... first time I do that ... very disapointed .. expensive for a non-working trick and that without counting the deck(s) you will ruin to practice and realize it is in vain.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Jeremy, did the dealer agree to give you a full refund including postage? I'd be interested to hear. Thanks. Tony.
corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Yes, I would be very interested as well.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
If I don't like mine I'm sending it back to TG Jones who used to be a dealer
Puzzlemaker
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Puzzlemaker
Got mine Yesterday. That´s the Second Trick I bought from Mr. White. And the last trick I bought from him. The DVD is full with lies. Completely invisible.LOL!
I alos want my money back. Maybe Henri White could came in the Café to cclear something up?
I will start to make my own Version of this!
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Did TG Jones used to be a dealer?
Jeremybax
View Profile
New user
Lausanne, Switzerland
51 Posts

Profile of Jeremybax
I sent it back to the retailer from whom I bought it... he aggreed to refund in store credit the price of the DVD but not the shipping (was free shipping anyway) I just had to pay my shipping back so I still lost about 10$ but at least I cut the loss.
Jeremybax
View Profile
New user
Lausanne, Switzerland
51 Posts

Profile of Jeremybax
Puzzlemaker If you manage to do a working version let us know... For Sure Henri White did himself a very bad reputation.
Puzzlemaker
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Puzzlemaker
Sure Jeremy ;-)
majikandy
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of majikandy
My problem is this... I followed the instructions exactly to make the gimmick, but no matter how hard I try I CANNOT get the tear (when making the gimmick) to be perfectly straight , without scoring a line). This means that when I do the first fold during performance (long side to long side) a bit of the tear ends up sticking to the other side (it's mirror image )... by the end of the trick, the original back tear is obvious. If I've scored the flap (during manufacture) well that looks just as bad and obvious as there's now a perfectly straight lined tear in the back of the card. So how do you do the proper tear without scoring and still get a nice clean (looking) rear by the end?? somebody tell me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Souvenir - Henri White (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL