The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Souvenir - Henri White (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
964 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, Jeremybax wrote:
This effect doesn't work for 90% of the magicians performing it ... and don't talk about skills 'cause some world champions have the same opinion... this trick is not reliable enough

Just how on earth do you know that 'this effect doesn't work for 90% of the magicians performing it' for goodness sake?
What a completely ridiculous assumption and statement.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Jeremybax
View Profile
New user
Lausanne, Switzerland
51 Posts

Profile of Jeremybax
Because I read this post and see the comments and read other reviews ...
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1902 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Creator: Henri White
Publisher: world magic shop
MSRP: $ 32.50
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 20 min

Type of effect: card to impossible location / penetration effect

Manufacturer's Write Up:

A chosen card is signed by the spectator. The center of the card is torn out. The very same card is then visibly linked onto the stem of a borrowed wine glass. The linked card and the glass can then be fully examined. No Duplicates - Simple - Elegant - Truly Baffling

How accurate is the ad copy? The ad copy is fine, but it should be mentioned that the card is "forced" not "chosen."

What's in the box? A DVD

Key points: there is no switching involved, the card your spectator signs is the one that they work with through the entire effect.

How are the production values: clean non distracting environment, nice overhead shots for performances and gimmick construction.

Is it well made: On the one hand this is a torn and restored trick, so you will need to prepare your own gimmicks. Anyone who has practice building other TnRs will feel right at home here.

Is it well taught: Henri covers the basics of the effect, although at 20 minutes I would have liked some live performances, especially a live "performer's view" shot. I also would have loved more tips, alternate handlings and perhaps even an interview about the effect (or some credits?) Anything to bulk up this very pricey DVD.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I liked that this takes the "card to impossible location" effect and the TnR and marries them together. I didn't like how "dirty" this effect is. There is a lot of heat on the performer in the most crucial moments and you really need to "down play" what is actually taking place.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" All you need is a single card and a long stemmed wine glass.

Does it "play big?" Anyone who has performed restaurant magic will enjoy this routine as it is very creative.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) As the name implies it is suggested that the card be given out as a keepsake. However, short of encouraging your patrons to steal wine glasses, this probably isn't a great idea. But I suppose if the restaurant sells souvenir glasses in a gift shop, you could purchase one and offer to sell it back to them if they want a keepsake from their visit. Then if they say "no" you could rip off the card and go on to the next table. (ha ha)

It'd also be great to do at a dinner party that you are invited to. But at the end of the day this is a TnR and so yes - there are "tears" involved. Could the spectator find the secret under a close examination? Only if they were dead set on doing so. Most I think would be grateful to have such a unique gift and they'd let it go at that.

There is also the idea that most restaurants are dimly lit and so you could offer the card to the spectator to examine at the end of your routine - your spectator will find nothing and marvel at your skills - you then sadly tell them that you've had too many stolen wine glasses and so at the request of the restaurant you have to "destroy" the card.

You then rip it (right where you need to) off the glass and then the spectator still gets to keep the souvenir, it costs you nothing, it costs the restaurant nothing and there is less chance the spectator will discover the secret.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri1P6G2ZyE
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
775 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I think it comes down to you the magician being convincing performing this effect and being comfortable with its examinability.

Quote:
There is also the idea that most restaurants are dimly lit and so you could offer the card to the spectator to examine at the end of your routine - your spectator will find nothing and marvel at your skills - you then sadly tell them that you've had too many stolen wine glasses and so at the request of the restaurant you have to "destroy" the card.

You then rip it (right where you need to) off the glass and then the spectator still gets to keep the souvenir, it costs you nothing, it costs the restaurant nothing and there is less chance the spectator will discover the secret.

DING DING. Good David!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Dimly lit - love it.
This description should have been in the ad copy. "Performer to please ensure environment is dimly lit before performing the effect"
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
So I have tried it and am happy with the result with cards that are prepped well. My problem is I'm hitting well less than 50% on cards I try to set up. Between the card not splitting between the correct layers and the tear down the center not remaining straight I am tossing quite a few. If the tear crosses the center line than the card will be ruined when you do the midline fold with the flap open. The part that crosses the midline will be folded under and not look right when the flap is moved back into place.
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Well, that was rather detailed Xcath1... Could've simply said: "Im having some trouble with the precision required in making the gimmicks." Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I thought detail might have helped with suggestions
magicands
View Profile
New user
Coventry - England
29 Posts

Profile of magicands
I purchased this effect hoping that as a worker it would be worth a shot.
In short, it wasn't, well not for me.
Henri White states on the DVD that the making of the card will take about 1 minute, lol, it takes about 4 or 5 minutes per card as you have to be careful.
Linking the card to the glass is fairly straightforward to be honest & I would have no trouble performing this as long as nobody was directly behind me.
The MASSIVE let down however is in the tidy up part of the routine, I have exhausted a number of cards now and whenever you do the tidy up to make the card INTACT it never looks right and would be spotted by a 5 year old in 30 seconds, an adult would see it immediately.
Without giving it away, the TIDY UP is the final part of the routine before handing the the glass to the spectator(s) and because you are working BLIND with your fingers its impossible, well I would say 99 times out of 100 to get a good looking restore.
I will persist and try and modify the working to get something usable but to be honest I doubt that this is at all achievable.
Lastly, you don't even get any made up cards, all you get is the DVD, its up to you to purchase the necessary products & make it all yourself.
In defence of World Magic Shop I would say that they are just like the majority of dealers, only interested in the sale and never the functionality of the effect for professional entertainers, simply put, they operate a money making exercise.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I see no reason not to look at the card as you are cleaning up. The spectators don't really know what you are doing
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1352 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Haven't bought this and never wanted too. I knew this would be absolute junk.

How?

Henri White was the guy off the world's WORST Torn and Restored effect; THE ANSWER.

The Answer was an abomination to magic and a complete pile of rubbish. Anyone who endorsed that or EVEN ASSOCIATED THEMSELVES with it CAN NEVER EVER EVER be trusted with anything in the world. Henri was that guy - the guy who endorsed a rubbish product which involved splitting, cutting, hopelessly sticking... I assumed this would be exactly the same premise, and, well, obviously it is.

SO, what I've heard is that The Souvenir has alllllllllllllllllll the same negative drawbacks and problems that THE ANSWER HAD. No surprise. People who split cards for a living are usually a bit suspect.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18158

The Answer by Ron Salamangkero

Not Henri White I believe
10S Star Sign Divination AVAILABLE WITH FREE EBOOK !
info@olivierboes.com
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
OI YOU above, watch the DVD.
Mark iNFiNiTi
Creator of Revelation Gum
Join the Revelation @ Saturnmagic.co.uk/revelationgum
magicands
View Profile
New user
Coventry - England
29 Posts

Profile of magicands
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
I see no reason not to look at the card as you are cleaning up. The spectators don't really know what you are doing

I'm going to be really upfront here, I don't think that you have actually performed this for an audience in a diner, you may have performed it for friends or other magicians. Or perhaps you don't even own the effect?
I'd really like to see a video of your performance or for that matter a video of anybody performing this in a real world situation with no edits, cut away's or diverted camera's.
Even if you did look whilst cleaning up, the chances of aligning everything are NILL.
In short this effect is a pile of POO.
Shame as as I wanted it to be usable.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I certainly own it and will try and rise to the challenge of a taped public performance.
magicands
View Profile
New user
Coventry - England
29 Posts

Profile of magicands
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
I certainly own it and will try and rise to the challenge of a taped public performance.

Ahh that old Magicians misdirection there, its what you don't say that's important, and you don't say that YOU have performed it in the real world.
I look forward to the video but won't hold my breath as I'm not Houdini.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
So what's the verdict
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Souvenir - Henri White (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL