The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Syria Explained (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Your baby example doesn't prove, or even suggest that we're "taught to hate." Babies don't have the capacity to engage in moral reasoning or judgment. When those capacities are developed, they lead people in different - sometimes radically different - directions.

And always will.


Then where does the hate come from?

What influences that development? They live what they learn.

In a world of equalized opportunity, free from violence, and the threat of it, I think you'd see a lot less divergence.

Face it, by the time they reach the age of reason they are already poisoned by their parents nonsense; just as their parents were.
To me the hardest thing about being a parent was to keep my worldview out of my son's thought processes - to let him think and decide for himself.

I'm around a lot of children and their parents. By FAR the best parents are those who have the courage to ask their kids what they think; instead of what they should think.

Have you ever met a cynical four year old? I have, far too many times.
They didn't get that way on their own.

"Always will"? Says who? Those who preach doom, so we might as well kill as many of the others before we go?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Just as a for instance, is abortion legal in objectiveopia?


Stop with the opias. I'm not talking about that and never will.

Which groups, or mindsets, are against it - and more importantly WHY?

What is the basis of their so-called belief that they have the right to dictate what others do with their lives?
It certainly isn't a belief based on anything objective.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Flawed according to which standard exactly?


Objective standards.


What active social process would you give as example of an objective standard?

Just to make sure we're on the same planet here rather than Tlon or some eUtopia... Which is heavier, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?


The way things are? Not many.

It's not a matter of the processes, but of what should be at the base of what those processes stem from.

Btw, I'm on earth.
I have no idea which planet, or dimension, you are from.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Just as a for instance, is abortion legal in objectiveopia?


Stop with the opias. I'm not talking about that and never will.

Which groups, or mindsets, are against it - and more importantly WHY?

What is the basis of their so-called belief that they have the right to dictate what others do with their lives?
It certainly isn't a belief based on anything objective.


Who is "they"?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Basically we want the same things, regardless of where we're born or what we believe


We may all want the same for ourselves, but not necessarily want the same for others...and in that, we may be the same.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Couldn't stop yourself from religion being the root of every problem could you? Can't you just have an idea without blaming someone and accusing them off being the problem?

Your blinders are very effective. You have your truth and everyone is an idiot.

But the interesting thing is the way you post here is very aggressive, condescending and in the right place in the real world would get your teeth loosened. Isn't that part of the very problem you complain so loudly about? If even you, apparently the only prophet of this idea, can't manage to pull it off how can you expect to inflict this idea upon an unsuspecting world?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Image


Playpens are designed to predispose and encourage babies to embrace violent Octagon* Fighting...






*Babies can't count.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Just as a for instance, is abortion legal in objectiveopia?


Stop with the opias. I'm not talking about that and never will.

Which groups, or mindsets, are against it - and more importantly WHY?

What is the basis of their so-called belief that they have the right to dictate what others do with their lives?
It certainly isn't a belief based on anything objective.


Who is "they"?


There are many "they's"
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Couldn't stop yourself from religion being the root of every problem could you?


It isn't religion Danny.

Quote:
Can't you just have an idea without blaming someone and accusing them off being the problem?


Problems have causes Danny. Can't you just read a post without attacking the messenger? For once.

Quote:
Your blinders are very effective. You have your truth and everyone is an idiot.


The hypocrisy needed for YOU to make that statement is mind boggling.

Quote:
But the interesting thing is the way you post here is very aggressive, condescending and in the right place in the real world would get your teeth loosened. Isn't that part of the very problem you complain so loudly about?


I'm not complaining loudly about anything. Thinking that I am is your damage.

Part of the problem is that anyone would think about loosening anyone's teeth over an opinion.
You just thought of it - violence in response to words you disagree with. Why?

Btw, I am the same in "the real world" as I am here.

Quote:
If even you, apparently the only prophet of this idea, can't manage to pull it off how can you expect to inflict this idea upon an unsuspecting world?


I am not a prophet. Don't be rude.

I'm just a person who runs his life using common sense.
And I'm not the only one who is thinking about what is wrong, on a macro level, and the root cause of the problem. So the world is not "unsuspecting".
I'm also far from the only one who thinks that actual peace - the absence of violence - is not just an abstract concept.

What's interesting to me is that the only way you can see change coming about is by inflicting - forcing - an idea.
Don't you have any faith in humanity? Don't you think we can change our behavior?

Why all the derision?
I'm just pointing out that there is a different possible way to live together.

What is SO WRONG with that?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Image


Playpens are designed to predispose and encourage babies to embrace violent Octagon* Fighting...






*Babies can't count.


Ok, now I'm triggered. Where's my safe space? Smile
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Basically we want the same things, regardless of where we're born or what we believe


We may all want the same for ourselves, but not necessarily want the same for others...and in that, we may be the same.


What makes some want what's good for them, while thinking others don't deserve it?

What's at the root of THAT mindset?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Language: Them, deserve...vs eminent domain, no,

Simpler to presume there will be conflict of interests and focus on how one addresses a conflict and what others accept as greater good.

How much rancor, triggered how reliably? claimed as essential vanity? Zeus said so. Cthulhu agrees.

The devil you know ... Stopgap measures.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What proposition are you debating at this point? Whether peace is better than war? Whether it's acceptable to show your displeasure with a government by bombing civilians? I've lost track.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
What proposition are you debating at this point? Whether peace is better than war? Whether it's acceptable to show your displeasure with a government by bombing civilians? I've lost track.


I'm saying that peace can't be achieved at the point of a gun - no matter how big.

I'm also saying that we supposedly keep trying to achieve it that way because the root of what most base their morality on, is fatally flawed. It's not religion. It's far deeper and more insidious because - "Hey, what's the big deal?"

Do you ever stop to ask yourself why it's possible for so few to control so many, so easily.
It's obviously what's (been) happening and it's obviously wrong. What makes it possible?

Although it's less and less acceptable to show my disagreement with the despicable actions of my government, I'll continue to do so for as long as it's allowed. Which probably won't be very long.
I'll do it no matter how many tell me that the only way to deal with those who do things differently is to kill them all, or make them afraid that we will.
Or "nuke them until they glow." Smdh.

Syria? North Korea?
Just the latest boogeymen, necessary so the weapons can keep flowing while the credulous stand in groups saying YEAH!!, with their fists flying up in the air.

Like they're holding onto something that's invisible there.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Again with the "boogeyman" theme. I suppose Hitler and Stalin were fictitious entities that gullible people were taught to fear, too.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
So communicate effectively. What do you offer in place of what you find offensive?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
So communicate effectively. What do you offer in place of what you find offensive?


To whom was this post directed?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
@nyctwister, methinks.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
@nyctwister, methinks.


Which offensive thing are you specifically talking about?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You're asking how want becomes condoned rancor.

I'm saying you'd do better to address the wants than to complain about the larger celebrity rancor events.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Syria Explained (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL