The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marked Deck & Stacked Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I was wondering what would be the difference from a Marked Deck to a stacked deck? Now I know the simple difference, but I guess what I am asking for is effects and how the specttor plays a part. I don't have either a marked deck or a stacking system, but I would like to know the difference. Also, is it good to have both? Or if you have one, is the other not needed?

Thank you.
§kitch
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Think about who can handle the stacked deck, or what kind of mixing can be done with it then compare that with who can handle the marked deck and what kind of mixing can be done with that.
Stefan Behrens
View Profile
New user
Schwarzenbek, Germany
38 Posts

Profile of Stefan Behrens
HI Skitch
If you want to know something about the difference between stacked and marked deck, you should read the book of Martin Joyal "The Six-Hour Memorized Deck" (Hermetic Press). There is much stuff, also the books of Simon Aronson give you enough ideas to play with a stacked deck.

For marked deck effects, read "Marked For Life" by Kirk Charles. This book is much better than the works of Boris Wild, who modifies only the Lesley marking technique.

Stefan Behrens
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Doug Dyment has a wonderful essay on stacked decks on his website - I recommend you read it.

Doug
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
I can't seem to find the site. What's the link?
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
Bob Cassidy has a great "memorized deck" routine on his video "Mental Miracles". In the book "Mind Myth, and Magick, T.A. Waters explains a few routines with a marked deck, a few routines with a memorized stack, as well as I believe a routine that utilizes both the stack and marking system.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
<Q>Bob Cassidy has a great "memorized deck" routine on his video "Mental Miracles".</Q>

Got to second you on that! The speed with which you can do this and the reactions from the audience are astounding.

I have to say that I am a great fan of Bob Cassidy's stuff. In the words of the great man himself, "everything has a logical disconnect"
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I can tell you that if you're looking for a stacked deck that has numerous applications and is very easy to learn (I did it in about 15 minutes), try Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System. Fantastic stuff!
I just used that set up to do the Corinda routine from Richard's L&L video, the guy was just floored!

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
For me you can't really beat simplicity and the Si Stebbins Stack is simplicity itself.

Admittedly, I don't do a lot of card routines within my performance but for what I do use, this stack is ideal.
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of snushy
Read Boris Wild's book on the marked and memorized deck. He combines both concepts into some very powerful effects. Most notable is his "Miracle," a version of a card at any number.
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2949 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Both invaluable if used properly.

Do some research, read up on both.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I can attest to the power of Boris' "Miracle". I added that as the ending to a routine that I learned from Dan Tong to make a 3 part routine that builds on itself each step. "Miracle" is the ending and gets a tremendous response.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Si Stebbins is the best place to start
You may find that that is all you need
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Have to agree Teejay. It's the only one that I currently use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marked Deck & Stacked Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL