The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Safe" spaces. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Historically repressed groups represent the dominant ideology on many if not most campuses

Oh my. Not true at all. The University is an institution that is largely a tool to reproduce capitalism. Hence my detailing above of the context of university existence depending on government and corporate largess.

Individual professors are not the point--the point is the institutional thrust. It's akin to saying that the MSM is liberal because individual reporters may lean Democratic. But the fallacy is that The MSM as institution is never different from the dominant political ideology of capitalism.

Comment on the article?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Disagree with your first two paragraphs very strongly. As for the article, I think it's pretty disgraceful, and GW is lucky they weren't sued.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
Speaking of German schools, the Frankfurt School was given permission to run American culture by the president of the United States at the end of World War II to stop what had happened in Germany happening in the USA. The German brainwashing continues.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I've never been a rape victim. Nor have I survived war in my home. Nor have I suffered severe mental illness. I've not been a victim of racism or sexism. I'm not a sexual minority. I have not been tormented to point of suicide.

What could I know about what vulnerable people need if I don't listen to them?

Very good point.

I had a similar debate with my daughter last week. She said that a remark she had overheard on the street was racist. I felt it wasn't. We agreed to ask her best friend, who is coloured. If she found the remark would have made her uncomfortable I would say I was wrong. If she didn't find the remark uncomfortable, perhaps it wasn't racist.

Only the victim of racism can really tell. Same with the victim of sexual assault, etc.

You can put a 'U' in colored, but it's still racist.
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Now that we got the Nazi Jew thing in here, we should also talk about how Fox news has made safe spaces harder to find.

Evolution of Magic Café discussion

1 Point
2 Counterpoint
3 Doesn't matter because (Choose One) racism, exploitation of the worker, US gun culture, eating animals
4 Nazi - Jew analogy
5 Fox News
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, The Hermit wrote:
Now that we got the Nazi Jew thing in here....

Oh well, sorry I brought it up.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
565 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
With headphones and google-cardboard we can all watch Virtual Reality puppy-videos without fear of bombardment.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
Now that we got the Nazi Jew thing in here....

Oh well, sorry I brought it up.

Don't be. You're in a particularly interesting position to comment on the issue.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:

Explain.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Tony said he asked something of his daughter's 'coloured' friend. No one uses colored anymore. Mostly a joke on the differences of british vs american spelling and yada yada
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I've never been a rape victim. Nor have I survived war in my home. Nor have I suffered severe mental illness. I've not been a victim of racism or sexism. I'm not a sexual minority. I have not been tormented to point of suicide.

What could I know about what vulnerable people need if I don't listen to them?

Very good point.

I had a similar debate with my daughter last week. She said that a remark she had overheard on the street was racist. I felt it wasn't. We agreed to ask her best friend, who is coloured. If she found the remark would have made her uncomfortable I would say I was wrong. If she didn't find the remark uncomfortable, perhaps it wasn't racist.

Only the victim of racism can really tell. Same with the victim of sexual assault, etc.

Perhaps in Ireland it's not.

(I don't have any idea, which is why I would never make such a categorical statement.)
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Ok, I suggest you go to Dublin and ask the first black guy you see 'hey there coloured fella can I ask you a question?' and see the results.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, The Hermit wrote:
Ok, I suggest you go to Dublin and ask the first black guy you see 'hey there coloured fella can I ask you a question?' and see the results.

And if he's offended, then the NAACP is using a racist name.

The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Do you guys really want to try and make 'colored' an ok term for black people. I have see racist tossed out here at a lot less. And, you can always read NAACPs reason for not changing the name. I guess you don't know that during the 70s it was a very hot topic for black people who wanted NAABP
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

Somebody's taking this way too personally.

Relax. A simple "it's considered racist in Ireland" would suffice.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

And if he's offended, then the NAACP is using a racist name.

That's ridiculous: they're not based in Ireland.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Do you guys really want to try and make 'colored' an ok term for black people. I have see racist tossed out here at a lot less. And, you can always read NAACPs reason for not changing the name. I guess you don't know that during the 70s it was a very hot topic for black people who wanted NAABP

Intention doesn't matter; we judge racism by asking random people whether or not they're offended.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Do you guys really want to try and make 'colored' an ok term for black people.

Grammatically, what's the difference between saying "a colored woman" and "a woman of color"?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Grammatically, what's the difference between saying "a colored woman" and "a woman of color"?

The next time we have lunch, I'll have to tell you a story about perceived racism and semantics that you'll find very funny. Remind me.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

The next time we have lunch, I'll have to tell you a story about perceived racism and semantics that you'll find very funny. Remind me.

After my knee surgery. Maybe in January. I'll try to remember.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Safe" spaces. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL