The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Revealing information (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
You could do the old ashes on the arm effect.

Although I think reveals like that easily come across as magic tricks rather than mentalism.
Mysterious Mike
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
258 Posts

Profile of Mysterious Mike
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, Alexxander wrote:
You could do the old ashes on the arm effect.

Although I think reveals like that easily come across as magic tricks rather than mentalism.


Good point, although I occasionally enjoying mixing the two together. If done correctly, you can get some amazing reactions.
The performance is what really makes it all worth while.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
My two cents about reveals in general:

I do believe that the way you reveal information is the most important aspect of any mentalism routine.
It's one of the moments where your character and persona should really become visible to the audience.

I always try to really make myself FEEL like I am genuinely reading somebody's mind.
When I "get" the thought, my character is generally astonished and amazed.
Very often I get visibly excited, have a huge smile on my face and literally run to my table to pick up my writing pad, like I can't wait to reveal the thought to the audience. I play it like it is the greatest thing in the world to read minds (it really is!). It's contagious.
Other times I play it a little bit cooler, but still always let my excitement slowly shine through afterwards.

Also, I think it's important to vary the style of the reveals during a longer performance. Some pieces of information slowly revealed bit by bit, some just verbally blurted out, others written on a pad. It keeps things interesting and surprising. However, the specific process my character has to go through to read minds is always pretty much the same, although implied in different ways.

Recently I also started taking more chances when it comes to slow bit-by-bit revelations. If you have one solid piece of information (e.g. the name of a close friend), you can make some pretty bold guesses about the person's appearance and character, because no matter what, you always have a good hit at the end.
Another good example for this is Banachek's "Brain Game", which is just incredibly strong when it hits. If it doesn't, just move on.
I guess that is just standard mentalism wisdom, but I really realized and appreciated this just recently. Luke Jermay is absolutely right about "Leaving space for real magic"!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1991 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I always wonder about questions like "what's the BEST source for this information?" I have not read anywhere near all the books on mentalism. However, I found a lot of useful material for crafting presentations in Bob Cassidy's second Artful Mentalism book. In particular, he asks the questions that need to be answered in order to determine what makes for a good presentation.

Ultimately, I think the real answer is another question. What do you think it would look like if you were able to do it for real? "It" in this case being whatever you claim to do to get the information. Are we talking about reading body language? Telepathy? Clairvoyance? Manipulating them into picking what you wanted them to pick all along? What would your reveal look like if you were doing it for real?

-Patrick
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
690 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
I think one of the main reasons for using a revelation that you have made shall we say prior to a demonstration is either as a prediction or as I prefer something that should come across as a subliminal influence or suggestion. As an example, there's a pseudo subliminal influence revelation in Joshua Quinn's Paralies that reveals the 3 of Diamonds.

Any other revelations along these lines would be of great interest, not necessarily making use of playing cards.

Franklin
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2018, The Paranormalist wrote:
I think one of the main reasons for using a revelation that you have made shall we say prior to a demonstration is either as a prediction or as I prefer something that should come across as a subliminal influence or suggestion. As an example, there's a pseudo subliminal influence revelation in Joshua Quinn's Paralies that reveals the 3 of Diamonds.

Any other revelations along these lines would be of great interest, not necessarily making use of playing cards.

Franklin


A similar flavor to this can be found in Michael Murray's "A Piece of My Mind" which I believe is called Sublime Influence and uses a very famous brand logo for its reveal.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I think the question is being over thought? Reveals are nothing but exposition. The climax of the entire procedure. Nothing special need be done as it is the reveal itself that brings the effect to it's logical conclusion. The items such as ashes on the arm and other strange reveals would be more in tune with bizarre presentations than mentalism. No matter what your character or motivation the reveal is just the end of the story. How you get there is what your motivation and character will dictate.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Fernando Figueras Live lecture has some good ideas about revelations and various ways of revealing information other than written on a pad.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
690 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Hi
Thank you, Thomas, for reminding me of Sublime Influence, I haven't done that in a while. And Woodfield, yes I have the Fernando Figueras Penguin Live lecture which I have not had a chance to watch yet.

Franklin
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
For sure! It kills in stage performances (there's a full magic castle set on YouTube that opens with it).
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12199 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, Jerskin wrote:
"Making Mind Reading Look Real" by Luke Jermay


this is the one
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12199 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I think the question is being over thought? Reveals are nothing but exposition. The climax of the entire procedure. Nothing special need be done as it is the reveal itself that brings the effect to it's logical conclusion. The items such as ashes on the arm and other strange reveals would be more in tune with bizarre presentations than mentalism. No matter what your character or motivation the reveal is just the end of the story. How you get there is what your motivation and character will dictate.


...or exhibition.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
If you do one effect it's one thing, but if you're talking about a whole show, it's very important not to go back all the time to the same form of exposure, it gets boring
Fernando_Figueras
View Profile
New user
Madrid
12 Posts

Profile of Fernando_Figueras
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2018, The Paranormalist wrote:
Hi
Thank you, Thomas, for reminding me of Sublime Influence, I haven't done that in a while. And Woodfield, yes I have the Fernando Figueras Penguin Live lecture which I have not had a chance to watch yet.

Franklin


Let me know when you have watched it and we can discuss about it!
The most intense and underground gathering for English speaking magicians in Madrid, Spain:
www.campusmagico.com
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Magician Jeff Marcus and I spent 2 hours at MindVention last year in what is best described as a master's class on mentalism from Lee Earle. Just the three of us. Outside the lecture room one evening. Lee spent well over half an hour lecturing us on the importance of reveals complete with dramatic demonstrations. There is no way I could convey that in forum posts. But the message is clear; it is something you learn by doing over and over and over and over and over again for years, if not decades.
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Revealing information (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL