The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What I learned about Houdini. (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Read the material on the sight. When I attended Jon's Hand Cuff Performance Act and Lecture he traveled with Marie Blood.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2015, Slim King wrote:
I learned a very interesting thing about Houdini and I want to apply it to my own career as well as share it here for those who may have never heard this story.
I believe he got a bit of advice that I myself could use.
Like many magicians in Houdini's day he did a variety of magical routines. He mastered playing cards and most all the rest..... My favorite being his version of Metamorphosis.

HOWEVER....The advice he got was to stop with all the variety. Simply focus on ESCAPOLOGY (metamorphosis was really an amplified escape) Instead of blinding speed his escapes went from three seconds to 30 minutes or more. He basically did a 180 in his career AND performance style.
In addition to stripping away all the unnecessary magic he literally stripped away his clothing(Something I myself am too insecure to do at this age)

But the point I'm making is this. For over a decade I have been a magic beginner, working/performing over 10,000 shows singing and dancing, yet not performing mentalism to any degree by comparison.
Now it is time to FOCUS like Houdini did. It's time to whittle this down to the one or two things that I do that no one else seems to dominate in that field.
I'd like to thank everyone who helped me maintain my interest in Houdini and allowed me to make this observation. The timing is perfect! THANKS!!!!!
I hope other newer magicians may get something from this, although many may see it as "Old Hat" and claim to have known this for centuries Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I'm still learning!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2016, miistermagico wrote:
Houdini material: http://www.thegreatharryhoudini.com/

Did you know that the Spirit Guides of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Mina Crandon both predicted Houdini's untimely death? Somehow that little factoid is often left out.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Isn't a factoid an assumption or speculation that is reported and repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's a fact you ignore but is still true....
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Well Houdini entertained and that makes him a good magician. When you are Dai Vernon I would imagine all magicians are terrible at card effects! So no real knock there. Lol

Good magic to all,

Eric
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
VARIOUS HOUDINI SITES
WildaboutHoudini.com run by John Cox
HoudiniHimself.com run by Kevin Connolly,
Houdinimuseum.org by Tom Interval
Houdinifile.com by David Saltman
harryhoudinicircumstantialevidence.com
and Houdini.org.
also TheMagicDetective.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 7, 2016, miistermagico wrote:
VARIOUS HOUDINI SITES
WildaboutHoudini.com run by John Cox
HoudiniHimself.com run by Kevin Connolly,
Houdinimuseum.org by Tom Interval
Houdinifile.com by David Saltman
harryhoudinicircumstantialevidence.com
and Houdini.org.
also TheMagicDetective.com

Excellent list. It's unfortunate not all of them dig as deeply as they should... Smile
As far as this thread goes ... Stand by for .... FIVE HUNDRED FORESEEABLE FUTURES ......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What I learned about Houdini. (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL