The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Known by Thom Peterson (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1423 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
This is a new offering from Penguin Magic. $5 till midnight.

Seems interesting. Anyone have any experience with the effect?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
magicthree
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Was curious also
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11623 Posts

Profile of John C
Known is currently unknown to me.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
Seems like okay impromptu/almost impromptu effect to me. Very clear and thorough teaching and almost moveless handling with simple equivoque in the end. Didn't try it yet, but this has potential to become a standard trick to my repertoire for almost any kind of situations.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Annoying just wrote my thoughts and lost them .

the demo might portray or suggest a cleaner effect than what actually happens .

You are acquiring an 8 minute explanation of the effect which Thom explains very well . I would have liked to have seen a couple of full performances to go along with the explanation in a studio environment .

This is a self working effect and one I consider to be quite generic . I have seen versions by Paul Green and Max Maven both I feel are slightly better because in those versions , the final choice is a free one with no manipulation by the performer .

It is a solid self worker at the current price .

If you have some experience of cards then I would think you have an awareness of this effect . For example would you be happy to pay $9 for Karl Fulves Gemini twins ?? Yes as a beginner but no if you read this effect as part of your development in magic

As a creator of effects it would never cross my mind to release this because I assume it is fairly well known generic process , like releasing a poker players picnic from RRTCM for $9

Well those are my thoughts
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
I'm sorry but I would be embarrassed to sell this trick it reminds me of an effect that someone with no magic knowledge would do in a pub for his friends
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
804 Posts

Profile of magico
This effect is on his Amazing Guy DVD.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
604 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
This is like selling the cross cut force with only a bare bones presentation. I have seen this incorporated into many much better effects such as Daryl's excellent "Untouched." Where is the crediting?
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
I would not buy it just because I want to see the whole routine not just the reaction of the trick. Don't get me wrong here l like the trick but it does not fit my style :'(
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
So very basic, most will already know the method and probably already use the method in another card effect they already do.
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
668 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Have all the five star reviewers on penguin magic ever held a pack of cards? How are so many giving this top marks??? I don't get it. I want to see if Penguin will allow me to post a video of me making a peanut butter sandwich and charge $4.95 for it. I'm sure I will get multiple five star reviews. The big blind media self working projects are better value for money then this trick. Just my opinion though. I love some of Thom's material and presentations but the non stop five star reviewing is hard to take seriously for this.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1713 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Yeah, a lot of the reviews posted on Penguin seem a bit childish (e.g. "best trick eveeerrrrrrr!!!!").... but Penguin themselves called this a "reputation maker". What reputation are we making with this one exactly?
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
Presidente Prudente/SP - Brasil
106 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
I love this trick!

Does anyone know any other tricks like this? Impromptu, easy to do and high impact?

Thanks!
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Axman
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2017, qualysoft wrote:
I love this trick!

Does anyone know any other tricks like this? Impromptu, easy to do and high impact?

Thanks!

that one where you pull your thumb off is blinding
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2152 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I'm curious about this but after having just bought Rafael's You and I, I wonder if I would use Thom's.
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2017, MagicBrent wrote:
I'm curious about this but after having just bought Rafael's You and I, I wonder if I would use Thom's.

I don't have "You and I", but from what I saw in the trailer, I think they're very different.
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2017, MagicBrent wrote:

These two routines are completely different. Thom's is vey good if you don't know the technique. As many have said here, you can create new routines using this old but still very very effective technique.
I use it at all my gigs whenever someone wants "one more trick" because it can be a bit lengthy. I use it mostly on couples. Add a marked deck and it becomes impossible to them because they can shuffle the deck and you never ever touch it...
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
I believe "The Known" is closer to "Predixion" from Max Maven.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2850 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, qualysoft wrote:

Yes that is correct. I've been performing "The Known" from his Amazing Guy dvd for years. I use a sealed coin envelope for the reveal card with my sticker attached. ( my contact info.) I find this effect to be VERY strong.

I did not purchase Predixion because they are basically the same effect different ending.
Max's may be better because it is Max Maven but to each his own.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1423 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yes, they basically are the same effect. Funny thing is though, Max Maven's trick gets a 88% 5-star rating while The Known gets a 68% 5-star rating (on Penguin). For my money, the known doesn't need a whole separate deck, while a matching card to me is better than I X'ed the same card in another deck. TETO I guess.

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, qualysoft wrote:

Yes that is correct. I've been performing "The Known" from his Amazing Guy dvd for years. I use a sealed coin envelope for the reveal card with my sticker attached. ( my contact info.) I find this effect to be VERY strong.

I did not purchase Predixion because they are basically the same effect different ending.
Max's may be better because it is Max Maven but to each his own.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Known by Thom Peterson (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL