The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Stopping people - easy, polite and surefire. (And just an idea) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
I'm uneasy approaching people and asking them to stop. Or shouting to get them to stop. So I started thinking about when I was comfortable approaching strangers for a little of their time.
My answer: asking them to take my photo!

So how do think asking someone in a small group to take your picture (hand them cheap camera) whilst you are doing trick work at getting that show/crowd building started.

I was thinking, do a 3fly coin routine. Then thank them and do a trick for them, say ambitious card.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
I think the problem you run into here is that when someone agrees to stop and take a picture, they are thinking a few things, 1. I'm doing him a favor, 2. I can take the picture then walk away. They might realize you're doing the picture just as an ice breaker and feel a little mislead. But, I'd give it a shot. Maybe it will work.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
I have the same barriers you face, however I also feel that may not be the best path to take. They 'could' feel like they have been tricked into sitting and watching.

I saw a Magician use the Thing yesterday. He didn't say a word, played with the Thing on the ground, and he immediately got people to pause, stop and look. From there he just looked up and said "hello", which of course would lead into a short conversation.

Something like that could work for us. But I don't want to use the Thing. That's his Thing!

I've thought about using Rocky Raccoon to get that initial interest. The moment I get their attention, call them over, introduce Rocky (or whatever his name will be) and introduce myself as a crazy kick ass magician. I think I will practice with him and try it in the next couple of weeks.

If that doesn't work, I'll go back to the drawing board. Lol
Approaching strangers is not my thing!! Shouting, performing loudly whilst during show mode is! Weird conundrum...
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Whatever you use to attract attention , wouldn't a simple sign saying 'magic show' help retain some of them?
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
True. I haven't used a sign. Do most buskers here use a sign?
Do you believe it helps?
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Jimmy Talksalot has some good ideas that worked for me.

HÃ¥kan
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Signs work. I have one that says "World's Greatest Magic Trick."
I've had people pass by, especially middle-age guys in groups, and then come back and say, "Okay, I gotta see what the world's greatest magic trick is."
If nothing else, it let's them know what you are.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQxeKDPu3DI

Http://www.lybrary.com/building-a-tip-fo......f14fd42b

Just so you all know I sold the rights to all my DVD several years ago.I don't make a dime off any of them.So this isn't an add for me to make money.This really works every time as the video proves.

The best to all of you.
Don
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I other post in this forum there talk of if using amps on the street is a good idea. The answer is yes but it dose not solve all your problems and there is other skills you need to learn. And I think were in a similar position here.

Lets not try and come up with the perfect answer here lets just get out and try something.
1) Take a pice of A3 corrugated card and in bold letters write the word magic in sharpie,
2) Prop it up against a bag with a tip bowl next to it,
3) Start playing around with a single coin nothing flash. Few vanishes and re productions. But also drop the coin on the floor. People will stop.
4) Pull them in close you only need 3-5 now start 3fly,
5) Keep pulling pepole in when some one new joins hand them a deck of cards.
6)finsh 3fly mention no one pays ypu apart from them and get on with the card trick,

This is not perfect and it will take time but keep going.

Hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
Thank you everyone for support and ideas.

My 'new' show now is weather proof and fits into a bum bag. This means I can cycle into town which is quicker and easier and also move about and try different spots easily. My aim is just do as much as possible and get more and more experience.

A sign may be awkward in the spots I have been trying, but I can try.

H.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Harry: take a look at this bike plus magic:
Japanese cycling magician Keiichi Iwasaki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJG9kRrp7Y
in the first minute or so you get a brief view at the bottom of his bike tyre where it looks like a sign
saying Magician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgepPf6DjzE

His bike carrier is used like a table for store and retrieve of his props.
Would it be practical for your bike to be alongside you as you work your magic?
The presentation makes the magic.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
If you do go with a sign, try a Julian Mather approach. Make a sign that simply says, "IITYCISYAMT"...

When someone comes up and asks what the sign means, you simply say, "If I tell you, can I show you a magic trick?" They say yes, and you proceed with the trick. Then they ask what it means. Say again, "If I tell you, can I show you a magic trick?" They say yes, and...

I'll let you figure that one out Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
You a try to find a trick to get the people. It all works but it is not a guarantee. YOU are the problem. YOU have to get over an emotion. FEAR. You have to learn to become FREE.if you are free then all the above ideas will work.

go to an actor he knows excersices to becomd free. Get oug of you comfort zone and bee FREE.
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
Hi Robert,
All too true, I wish it wasn't or may be having the answer inside is the best.

I did speak to someone actually. He pointed out I was physically capable, it an it is just Fear. He told me how to feel fear but not act upon it.

Anyhow, the pitch was crowded today so I didn't get to try a show.

H.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"Anyhow, the pitch was crowded today so I didn't get to try a show." ??? What do you mean, Harry?
People walking past too fast they wouldn't stop? Not enough room for you to gather a small crowd in front of you? Did you try setting up a pitch in a quieter spot?
Have you tried speaking to an approaching person, saying, "Watch this trick!" and then start the trick. If that person doesn't stop
try the same approach on the next person. But, of course, first make eye contact and a brief smile.
The only way to get good at stopping people, at performing on the street, is doing it.
Good on you for at least standing out on the street alone because that is part of becoming familiar with the setting. Then speak out.
Just do it.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Why are you trying to talk to them?? Are you a magician or a talk show host?? Singers walk on stage singing, jugglers walk on stage juggling, and magicians walk on stage doing magic - never forget that.

I think one of the biggest set backs for people is their mistaken belief that you need someone watching you to be street performing - no - no no no - NO!! You start performing and then the people will watch you!! You are trying to do this backwards.

If you are standing there with your hands in your pocket, you can expect people to walk past you without wanting to stop .... you must be DOING something WORTHY of their attention to get them to stop. If you just stand at your table and do cups-n-balls in a 'practice' mode, someone will come along and take notice without you having to say a single word to them.

See my "Crowd Goes Wild" video lecture for more details, both parts are now available for free online viewing via YouTube:

http://magicjoint.com/pages/magic-shop/t......d-promo/

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
JoeJoe; such good advice from you!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
JoeJoe I think that your dancing cane has to be one of the best attention getters that I have ever seen. As close to real magic as you can get.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
I use Bill Abbott's The Thing (Zombie-like prop) do stop the first person. It's not as elegant as Jo Jo's dancing cane, but it catches the eye.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Stopping people - easy, polite and surefire. (And just an idea) (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL