The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Symbologic vs ESP Match-up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
j_juge
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of j_juge
What do you think about this ESP trick ?

The effect seems similar, what's the difference ?
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
One is better than the other! Having seen Match Up demonstrated at Blackpool recently, it's not as clean as it reads and as I hoped. Symbologic is very clean, depending on which handling you use, with better m****s on the cards it would be better though.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Oh, I love Symbologic. One of Hen Fetch's gems.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
I've only played around with Symbologic, and it is a good, strong effect.

Quite 'clean' as you say, but there are some restrictions, for want of a better word, to how you present it, i.e. the actions you make (cant really say any more than that).

But I've found making this effect more of a performance piece and choreographing things really helps.
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
Hello guys.
I am soon to be realeasing another book, this time focusing on how psychological techniques such as anchoring, mirroring and suggestion can be used within magic. Towards the back will be several of my own effects which I use today in very real live situations.

I thought you may be interested as one of the effects involves an ESP MATCH-UP effect. I, too, bought this effect direct from Mark a few years ago and was discussing alternate ideas with him.

After much thought and practice, I came up with a routine which has been comented as the "cleanest I have seen" by several dealers, this was using their own ESP Cards.

The appearance is basically that you place a card down, then the spectator, then you, then them, etc. Until you have 2 piles; one of your cards, one of the specs. You then turn over the top card in your pile as the spectator also turns over their top card, they match. Then the next cards match etc., until every card has been turned to prove a match.

It uses 10 cards only, (5 each) and nothing else.
It is 100% accurate, and the routine is full of suggestions and anchoring etc., previously taught to increase the overall effect.

I have been using this effect for many years now and it has proven to be one of my best. Just thought you guys may be interested.

Best wishes,
Bryan
Houdinibleeding
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Houdinibleeding
Another book?
What was the name of your first book?
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
Houdinibleeding,
The first book was called "Creating Rapport, Cheating the Chemistry" It discussed many techniques to instantly gain a rapport with someone making them very suggestible and open to ideas. However, I only released it to a select group of friends for personal reasons. The book I am releasing though will have a majority of the first booklet in it, yet it will go into further details.

I hope this clears things up a little.
bryan
Houdinibleeding
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Houdinibleeding
Does it contain any effects?
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
The first book had no effects but was purely about the techniques one can use to influence a person greatly.
The second book will include the effects as well as the info from the first book.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Bigplumbz,

Your effect sounds extremely similar to Luke's in Building Blocks.

Doug
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
Doug, Luke is a friend of mine and I would not advertise the same effect as his. I have been using this routine for many years now, and although Luke's IS extremely workable, it is not 100%- main difference.

Luke's idea takes on a whole different approach to my routine. I commend him for his work and would strongly suggest anyone to buy it who has not yet done so. Having said, my routine is not the same as Luke's, please do not try to imply that I am copying other peoples work as my own.

Best wishes
Bryan
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
Will any of this contribute to furthering the understanding of suggestion and NLP used in magic or mentalism?

It's just that every other production these days seems to come with its own inclusion of the same information Bryan. Some of it is extremely weak. I’m not suggesting you are jumping on the same bandwagon, but yet another NLP rehash is not likely to be of much use.

Having said that, Luke’s book isn’t one of those attempts. I think it scores due to the strengths of the *routines* rather than any NLP/suggestion exposition or involvement. Let the effects stand or fail on their own merits?

Nick.
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
Hi Nick. I take your point. I however, do not believe that the booklet will be weak and pointless. I have read several books which do not really help with anything. The booklet I am creating however does talk about techhniques, how to use them, and some of my strongest effects towards the rear. Originally, I was going to release the effects on their own, but I thought that it is important to explain how to get the most out of each effect with techniques that can be used everyday, with any effect.
If you are interested, I will post up a selection of the effects that will be included as well as the suggestion techniques covered.
Bryan
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
Yes, I would be interested and I’m sure many would be.
That sounds the best way to go, to keep the emphasis on any original routines you have developed. I too have read a lot of pointless material (strangely all appearing in the last couple of years…) trying to sell NLP to mentalists or magicians and could not help but think they were both cashing in and speaking from very limited experience.
New routines and new ideas however, that would be lovely.
Good luck with it.

Nick.
j_juge
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of j_juge
How is the back of Symbologic's ESP cards ?
Bicycle ?
If it's not Bicycle back, is it possible to make easily a new pack with Bicycle back ?
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
No and yes Smile I think to do it the best, make up new cards.
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
J-Judge, pm me I will inform you how to create the bike pack.

Nick- thank you for your post. I was confusing myself a little however... the material included is not NLP, as NLP is generally used for helping oneself as opposed to helping, or using, on others. However, I do cover anchoring, mirroring, visual reading of people, thought processes and much more.

Then, as I said, how they can be used to aid or art, or how they can be used to create an effect. I thought I would post another effect which will be included in the book. It is one of my favourites and I have been closely guarding it for a few years now here goes:

AT THE MOVIES
The Performer asks for the assistance of an audience member. A lady walks on stage and is seated, where the performer induces an instant trance upon her. She is told to imagine herself walking through the doors of a cinema, she walks to the counter and meets a gentleman there. He guides her to double doors leading to a screen ,where she notes the number of the room. Upon entering the room she sits and stares at the screen. One word is on the screen...the title of a movie. She then slowly comes back around and the performer asks her to name what she saw, displaying an envelope which the audience has seen throughout the whole piece.

Inside the envelope is a ticket for the cinema with the film name upon it and screen number.
--------------------------------------------

This is one of my most favourite effects and I have been gaining some of the greatest reactions with it. It has an imense ammount of theatre within itself.

The ending may be altered, I used to have them see a word upon the screen, or an actor's name etc. However, I like the idea of presenting them with genuine tickets for the film they see.

Let me know what you guys think,

Best wishes
Bryan
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
I love it.
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
That sounds incredible. When will this book be available? And for how much?

Ian
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Yeah, sounds interesting.

Anabelle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Symbologic vs ESP Match-up (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL