We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David
View Profile
New user
Northern Ireland
57 Posts

Profile of David
The advertising blurb on this sounds terrific, but as we all know!!!!!!
If anyone has this routine and could post their opinion, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

David
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
This routine is fantastic. I use it quite often as an encore or when the context of the effect comes up in a conversation. It's fairle simply to pull off if you are capable of 26/26 faro's.

One thing is though, see if this really fits into your routine. If you have a gambling expose routine, then it fits in there quite nicely, but if you don't it would seem out of place.
Who is John Galt?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
It isn't as good as I had hoped it would be. I liked the routine, good use of miraskill and gilbreath principles, but I didn't like the premise all that much. It is worth a look though.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2004-03-01 15:45, david_a_whitehead wrote:
It isn't as good as I had hoped it would be. I liked the routine, good use of miraskill and gilbreath principles, but I didn't like the premise all that much. It is worth a look though.

I agree with David, and I'm TERRIBLE with faro's, so I don't perform this one much....
Let me rephrase that... Not at all.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
It doesn't have to be performed with a faro, but yes, it is a lot more streamlined with one. I don't perform it either.
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

David,

On another note, for this effect; if you can to a perfect tabled faro, it will make it much more convincing. I say go for it, and if you don't like the effect, you can use it as a scam to get your money back (just kidding now hehe)
Who is John Galt?
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I like the effect (and I can do a faro about 1 in 10 times so I do the routine without them). You need to pick your moments. I find it works well in a laid-back, fairly relaxed setting where you have plenty of time and your subjects are interested in a longish routine. If you run it with a story line about how gamblers can rip you off, it works nicely.

David.
David
View Profile
New user
Northern Ireland
57 Posts

Profile of David
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments .Considering my love of gambling routines I think I'll go for it.I am a Darwin Ortiz junkie , but realise that a lot of his gambling effects come across as serious, awesome, dsplays of skill . So it sounds as though this will play a bit 'lighter' , which may be no bad thing .

Regards

David
froxen
View Profile
New user
Singapore
38 Posts

Profile of froxen
Oh man... thanks to this review, I've just save some money. I'm TERRIBLE with perfect faros.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the Mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and science." - Albert Einstein
David
View Profile
New user
Northern Ireland
57 Posts

Profile of David
Financedragon , you mentioned in the above post that table faros look more convincing , which I most heartily agree with , but I cannot master them at all . I do not have any problem with the faro shuffle 'in the hands' , but as much as I try , the table faro eludes me . The only literature I possess on this is Ed Marlo's excellent booklet 'The Faro Shuffle'.
If you table faro , I would appreciate your help on where you learnt this , if from any particular book , or any tips you could pass on . Thank you.

Regards

David
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

David,

I was first introduced to the tabled faro on the VHS "Darwin Ortiz on Card Cheating" There he calls it the "perfect shuffle" The video DOES NOT teach any moves, but I got the knack of it by watching Darwin and lots of practice.

A great tip that I can pass on which I taught myself (whether this is proper methodology, I don't know) is once you have the two packets on the table, make sure the short edges are nice and square. Then, slightly bevel the two halfs towards you. After this, once you pick up the edges with your thumbs, the bevel will make the faro easier to do, and the move will come quite quickly.

Also, when practicing, cut the top portion of the deck to the right, and always faro so the bottom card of the top portion would be the new second card from the bottom. So what you have done is performed an "out" faro. But since you practice always having the right portion's bottom card being placed to "second from bottom" , if you need to do an "in" faro, simply cut the top portion of the deck to the left, and shuffle as you are accustomed to.

I hope this all makes sense, if it doesn't post another reply and I will try to explain it better.
Who is John Galt?
David
View Profile
New user
Northern Ireland
57 Posts

Profile of David
Financedragon,
Great help , I can immediately see a ray of light ( albeit very small as I know this is still going to take a lot of work ).
I would be embarrassed to tell you how long I have been working on the table faro!!!
By the way I'd love to source the Ortiz video , as much as I prefer books , performance only videos I seem to get more out of than 'teach ins'.
Thank you again.

Regards

David
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Glad I could help David, and I hope more people received some help from my post.
Who is John Galt?
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Check out "Aunt Mary" in the Pick a Card area. David Williamson has a better handling of the non-faro method posted there.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Whats the effect?
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I don't know what more terrible. My faro or aunt mary's secret. Smile
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2601 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Something about a yeast infection
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
If you think Aunt Mary's secret is bad, you haven't seen her faro.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Aunt Mary & Davids web:
http://www.williamsonmagic.com
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
(Incidentally, my previous post was NOT meant to say that the effect itself is bad. I own the booklet and admire the effect, and although I've developed a script for it that fits my style, I've not yet got it performance-perfect.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL