We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Prayers and good thoughts, if you please (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, Slim King wrote:
The shots are some form of super blood thinner I think. To stop blood clotting. A friend of ours had the same surgery at the same time. She did not get the shots. She had complications. So I thought it was worth it ... Even if my daughter had the pleasure of sticking needles into her father. I did the machine several hours a day. I'm not sure that was necessary ... Who knows. I went on to continue improving my record for singing and dancing SOUL MAN about 14,000 time now.

This was right after the surgery.(4 or 5 months)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4QsYg8mjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO--A9EJng0

These days there are a number of oral anticoagulant drugs on the market, for some of which there are television adverts:
  • Apixaban, marketed as Eliquis
  • Rivaroxaban, marketed as Xeralto
  • Edoxaban, marketed as Savaysa, and Lixiana
  • Dabigatran, marketed as Pradaxa
  • others
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20332 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The tech has advanced significantly since 2009.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Be thankful you are in the U.S. and not here.
I had a left knee replacement four years ago and been in agony ever since.
Many operations later failed to fix it, and I go in again on 22nd Dec, followed by heart treatment on the 23rd.
I'm still waiting on the 'immediate' blood transfusion I was told I must have after the original operation.
I'm also waiting on the physiotheraphy I was promised.
Merry Christmas !


Bobby.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Wow, Bobby!

You'll be in our prayers.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Thank you so much.
Guess I get a bit grumpy now and again, probably because I never get a single minute without pain day or night.
Maybe it's an age thingy ! Lol !


Bobby.
Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
Bobby

I'm sorry about the pain you have post surgery. There are some things that I did to help with recovery. Number one is losing weight. I've read that best success happens if you weigh less than 200 pounds. I actually lost 50 pound in the 6 months before surgery which brought me from 220 to 170. Exercise and yoga have also helped. I still have slight pain on occasion 2 months after surgery, but it is only when coming up and down stairs and keeping my knee bent for long periods such as sitting at my desk. But losing weight helped a lot with the pain, even before the surgery.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Thanks, but I'm afraid that it's not that easy for me as I have Marfan's syndrome and riddled with athritis etc. But what more can I expect as I'm nearly 66. Add another 6 to that and I could make a living doing seances ! Lol !

Well, into theatre 8a.m. tomorrow for my Christmas holiday, so take care all, have a great time !


Bobby.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Fare thee well Bobby.
I'll take a drop for you.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17544 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Are you standing yet?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Are you standing yet?

I've been walking since the day of surgery: the physical therapist at the hospital had me stroll down the hall with a walker that afternoon.

I've been going up and down stairs, getting in and out of the shower (over the edge of the bathtub), walking out to get the mail, give the dogs fresh water, throw out trash (the cans are on an elevated pad in the back yard), and so on.

I started outpatient physical therapy yesterday, and will go back tomorrow. I have a number of exercises to do at home to increase my range of motion and reduce the swelling (which is the greatest barrier to range of motion).

On Sunday I had about a half dozen paroxysms - brief, sharp, stabbing pains - just below my kneecap to the inside. I phoned the surgeon and he said that that's the whatchamacallit nerve settling in (one of the whacking big nerves through which he had to cut to flay my knee), and that that'll subside after a while. I sure hope so, as they hurt like blazes.
Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
It is a process. There was a rough transition when I came off the "good" pain killers and had to rely on over the counter pain killers. Pillow between the knees helped me at night. There will be a couple of bad days when you'll be really sick of still hurting, but one day, it does get better. Heading into my 3rd month. Still some pain moments, but totally manageable without pain killers and only when stressing the knee.

Good luck in your recovery.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Overworked wrote:
It is a process. There was a rough transition when I came off the "good" pain killers and had to rely on over the counter pain killers. Pillow between the knees helped me at night. There will be a couple of bad days when you'll be really sick of still hurting, but one day, it does get better. Heading into my 3rd month. Still some pain moments, but totally manageable without pain killers and only when stressing the knee.

Good luck in your recovery.

Thanks.

I was impressed with the spinal block that the anaesthesiologist gave me. It lasted roughly 19 hours, and I didn't have a headache or nausea when it subsided. One Norco (Vicodin, hydrocodone + acetaminophen) when it wore off and I was good to go.

Having had three ACL replacements, I have a good idea of what's in store for me in rehab. This'll likely be more difficult and will likely take longer, but the generalities (exercises, pains, what-have-you) will be similar enough.
Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
I've had two miniscus tear operations, one on each knee. This is tougher than that. Not sure how it compares to ACL replacements.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
My wife has a replacement knee; it's one of the more painful replacements.
Continue to be diligent with therapy, and don't skimp on ice packs.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

I was impressed with the spinal block that the anaesthesiologist gave me. It lasted roughly 19 hours, and I didn't have a headache or nausea when it subsided. One Norco (Vicodin, hydrocodone + acetaminophen) when it wore off and I was good to go.


I'd take a spinal block over general anesthesia anytime. I've had three blocks, one in 1969, one in 2005 and one in 2010. The 1969 procedure was fraught with problems (severe headaches unless lying completely flat on back for almost 24 hours; headaches like I've never experienced again) But the other two were problem free. Medical technology today is so superior to what it was decades ago.

Good luck with PT, you seem like a determined chap, so you'll do well.

Now, as for the OEM kneecap, do you have it? Are you mounting it or what? Morbid curiosity is killing me! Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Now, as for the OEM kneecap, do you have it? Are you mounting it or what? Morbid curiosity is killing me! Smile

For the moment, I'm keeping it under a few layers of skin, scar tissue and Dermabond (essentially superglue: cyanoacrylate), attached to my patellar tendon.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:
My wife has a replacement knee; it's one of the more painful replacements.

I hope that she's recovering/recovered nicely. How long ago did she have it replaced?

An acquaintance of my wife's recently had hers replaced after 10 years; ten years ago, that was the expected life, and she's put it through its paces. These days they're offering about 20 years or so.

Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Continue to be diligent with therapy . . .

Today I had my second session. I'm using the same therapist who helped be rehab my last ACL; he's excellent, and has done rehab on hundreds of knee replacements. The improvement in my range of motion and stamina were quite obvious after only two days.

Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:
. . . and don't skimp on ice packs.

We picked up a Bodyice cold pack from the therapist today; they're wonderful!

Believe me: no skimping here.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
She had it replaced little over a year ago, a few months after having her hip replacement replaced.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

I was impressed with the spinal block that the anaesthesiologist gave me. It lasted roughly 19 hours, and I didn't have a headache or nausea when it subsided. One Norco (Vicodin, hydrocodone + acetaminophen) when it wore off and I was good to go.


I'd take a spinal block over general anesthesia anytime. I've had three blocks, one in 1969, one in 2005 and one in 2010. The 1969 procedure was fraught with problems (severe headaches unless lying completely flat on back for almost 24 hours; headaches like I've never experienced again) But the other two were problem free. Medical technology today is so superior to what it was decades ago.

Good luck with PT, you seem like a determined chap, so you'll do well.

Now, as for the OEM kneecap, do you have it? Are you mounting it or what? Morbid curiosity is killing me! Smile

Oooops, I guess I completely misunderstood your OP! Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:
She had it replaced little over a year ago, a few months after having her hip replacement replaced.

And . . . how's she doing?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Prayers and good thoughts, if you please (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL