The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scott Alexander LIVE 3: Sunday Dec 20th @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Great fun Penguin. Thanks very much for the lecture.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
This was the best Penguin lecture since his first Penguin lecture. Admittedly, I'm more of a stage guy so if you're more into close-up it may not suit you as much but I can promise you'll still be entertained.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
I thought the egg bag and linking ring routines were excellent. Epic deck was also impressive (but requires a purchase of the special deck), and Super Fly sounds very good as well (but not taught)

but for SuperFly express, he didn't give an explanation for the load,the steal, or the purpose of the xtra chosen card that was picked after the envelopes were sealed (was this part of the full Superfly? and he was running on automatic?).

I have no trouble guessing the probable load method of the extra 3, but can someone give me some guidance on the steal of three? (Scott mumbled something about a "palm", and I would guess that I need to use my pinky in a tricky way, but I am really not much a card guy so I hoping that there might be an easier way to do the steal.

The phase of the egg bag routine where he let the 2 helpers do the production completely on their own was very impressive, even to the two helpers (presumable magicians themselves). He talked a lot about the construction and "mechanics" of the Malini Egg bag, how to prepare your "eggs", but I would have like at least some comment on management of the helpers. Seems like it would be pretty easy for things to go wrong in that phase. I think I know what is needed from those helpers, but would appreciate comments from those that do this routine.

Just to be clear, this was a good presentation (although I wasn't the least bit fooled by their musical skills Smile), and it was certainly very generous of PM to provide this.. I would just appreciate a little help from my card friends Smile

John
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2986 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Yes, that last phase of the egg bag was particularly intriguing, and could bear a bit more explanation (or maybe I'm just a bit slow on the uptick). I could see Scott putting out a download just on his egg bag handling, soup to nuts. The use of the clear bags during the explanation phase of the lecture was very helpful.

One big takeaway of this lecture was how fresh and fun the classics can be when presented well. Scott has that gift of always seeming to have genuine fun when he's performing. He obviously has scripted lines, but he also stays in the moment enough to keep it real and play with situations and spectator comments in real time, always with a twinkle in his eye. The result is just a lot of fun to watch.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I saw the first hour and half , by then it was 1:30am in the UK looking forward to watching the rest as it was a great lecture !
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22012 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Took six hours to download, and three and a half hours to watch. That was a very full day. I did not know Scott Alexander was a singer and song writer. Enjoyed the experience very much.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I thought the Snap Silks looked great - but did anyone else feel the rope effect with the silks and the wand was a bit clunky? Maybe I'm simple, but the actual effect seemed unclear to me. Too many elements involved? Two ropes, several knots, 4 silks, a wand, dropping one rope, tying one around back - just seemed confusing about what the actual effect was.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, John Long wrote:

but for SuperFly express, he didn't give an explanation for the load,the steal, or the purpose of the xtra chosen card that was picked after the envelopes were sealed (was this part of the full Superfly? and he was running on automatic?).

I have no trouble guessing the probable load method of the extra 3, but can someone give me some guidance on the steal of three? (Scott mumbled something about a "palm", and I would guess that I need to use my pinky in a tricky way, but I am really not much a card guy so I hoping that there might be an easier way to do the steal.

He mentioned he only wanted to show the presentation of Super Fly and NOT tip the method. Having paid for the full routine and been performing it for the last 2 years, I'm not going to offer any guidance other than it can be purchased.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, M Sini wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, John Long wrote:

He mentioned he only wanted to show the presentation of Super Fly and NOT tip the method. Having paid for the full routine and been performing it for the last 2 years, I'm not going to offer any guidance other than it can be purchased.

M Sini:

I realize that Scott wasn't going to explain Super Fly, and that is not what I'm asking about. Yet from what Scott said, his presentation was "Super Fly Express", and he commented that Super Fly involved chosen cards, and only those cards go across, but for the SF "express" version, he called it a "standard cards across w/a palming thing", which apparently is not the secret something that enables him to sell Super Fly for the big bucks.. So it was the "standard cards across w/a palming thing", for the steal, that I was asking about. I know how to do that with dollar bills (e.g.; Kap's Currency), but I'm not so clear about doing a steal of 3 cards. So even a reference to a source for the/a method would be appreciated.

But still, what was the purpose of the card that was "selected" by the Hindu shuffle, a 3C. Unless that was supposed to represent the number of cards that would be transferred over, but I never heard how that card selection fit in with the routine.

John
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1463 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Glad to hear everyone enjoyed my efforts.
I will PM you John with the nuts and bolts of the add on and palm off of Super Fly Express.

Thanks again everyone. I certainly did listen to all who watched both previous lectures to create a good balance in number 3.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
Got it, thanks again
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
769 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Best lecture ever ! It was like I was watching a magic variety show. Thanks for making this magic lecture fun.

J Rodriguez
J Rodriguez
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Took six hours to download, and three and a half hours to watch. That was a very full day. I did not know Scott Alexander was a singer and song writer. Enjoyed the experience very much.

It took me five minutes to download the whole thing from Penguin. Their server is fine. Talk to your ISP about your speed.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, close_up_act wrote:
Best lecture ever ! It was like I was watching a magic variety show. Thanks for making this magic lecture fun.

J Rodriguez

I agree.This tops the lectures.
There would have been a great amount of planning for this.
Scott and Dan were hilarious.
The material was top notch.
Thanks to Scott , Dan and Penguin .

Chappelly
James Kellogg III
View Profile
New user
San Diego
74 Posts

Profile of James Kellogg III
Did I miss something where was the bill in lemon?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
There was no Bill in lemon. Apparently the agenda for the evening was not fixed.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2015, James Kellogg III wrote:

Pre-lecture effect listings are always tentative and subject to revision during performance.

You also apparently missed reading the line in the description immediately following the list of tricks which states:

"These are the tricks that Scott will teach...if he feels like it."
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1463 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Good catch Tim!
Bill in Lemon will go on next year....If I feel like it.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
James Kellogg III
View Profile
New user
San Diego
74 Posts

Profile of James Kellogg III
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2015, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2015, James Kellogg III wrote:

Pre-lecture effect listings are always tentative and subject to revision during performance.

You also apparently missed reading the line in the description immediately following the list of tricks which states:

"These are the tricks that Scott will teach...if he feels like it."

Not that I really care about loosing the $30 on the lecture because Scott does great stuff and lets be honest here its just $30, but that just seems like a ****ty way to sneak people out of there money. Just for the record this has nothing to do with Scott's lecture it's the way that penguin typed up the ad copy. If anyone put something out and after it was recorded and put up for sale it says "we will teach this, this, this, and this......if we want to." It really seems kinda bs to me. If it was the I purchased it during the live event I would see that as being reasonable because things change its live, but the fact that it was previously recorded and put up with that ad copy they knew he wasn't teaching it. So what's the reasoning for that other than blaytonly lying to get more sales. I am sure penguin will just apologize and this will be let go, but lets be honest here people kinda a d*** move.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3299 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Was there anything new or fantastic about the linking finger ring routine. Is it something any of you found added value to the routine itself.

cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scott Alexander LIVE 3: Sunday Dec 20th @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL