The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Super X Principle- Levitation Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I am looking to purchase a stage levitation that utilizes the 'super x principle.' Can anyone break that down for me? I'm not familiar with that concept. Thanks so much!

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Private message me or check out Mark Wilson's Complete Course of magic from a library. This is a public area so we can not talk too openly about workings.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Use the Search Engine, there has been a lot said on this.
Dennis Michael
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Not sure why anyone would want to with certainty incorporate an illusion in a show without first knowing the principle. Or want to buy an illusion based on "that concept" without knowing the concept.

Maybe I'm too old. Sounds like the guy that comes up to you after a show and says "done with mirrors, right???"

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22650 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
'IT IS NOT YOUR RIGHT TO KNOW HOW A TRICK WORKS PRIOR TO PURCHASE.' PERIOD...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Wmhegbli,

Was that a joke, or sarcastic commentary on dealers, or a legitimate view point? Just asking 'cause it's hard to tell from your post.

BTW, if it's a sarcastic commentary, I agree ... I've always found it peculaiar that amgic dealers are about the only businesses I know of where you cannot return a perfectly good item that doesn't suit your needs. I can return a $30 shirt to Walmart if it's too small, but not a $300 prop that doesn't perform as advertised. And the "buying the secret" notion deosn't wash, since most of us already KNOW the secret, but are just looking for a novel (or well-made) application of it.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Hey Starrpower, Not sure about the post of WM--- either, if it is directed at my response or the original poster. Anyway, its' not nice to yell (all caps in the post) when having a chat!!

My comment is that if you are on the market to buy an illusion because it uses a specific priciple, then in the next line you request the details of the principle,
not sure where you are going.

But Magictim is right, there are enough resources available for "the Super-X principle" free, probably on-line, if not buy an Osborne book or the plans for it.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
As far as suspension/levitation, this principal is about as basic as it gets...other than the old clown stunt with the sheet and the feet attached to sticks. By the way, if that is done well and timing is right it looks pretty believable.

I remember first seeing an article on superX, when I was just a kid in the 60's. One way to get the secret to this would be to find one of UF Grant's cheap booklets on levitation that he put out years back. Otherwise, if the person seeking this has many magic books he may have the principal in them and just not realize it is the same. My point: Pretty simple to find this. In fact, reading some of the material in archives, here, on magic carpet complete with pictures would be pretty close to what he wants to discover.

Also, Starr: I agree with you partially. That is when an item is poorly crafted, yet costly, a dealer certainly should take it back or exhange it. And I know that a few ethical dealers will, others will not. On the other hand, I think that the magic business, operated mainly by small business people (dealers and craftsmen) making the props and selling them, cannot afford to have a policy like a major store. There is not the volume. And magicians being as they are, might buy something for the secret, then return it and have it custom made for half the price. Let's face it, there is a huge markup in most of the products...largely because we are paying for the secret AND the item. So the secret makes the item worth more than a typical product from Walmart. This is, perhaps, even more true with some of our books. I have bought books, for over $100, with a soft cover and the "perfect" binding (meaning they might fall apart). My wife thinks I am nuts and the same book, if it was about auto repair and not mentalism would probably be under $30.
quack
quack
quack
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22650 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, I was refering to the original post and Starpower comments. After typing the following I tried to submit and my connection was lost. This is the only part that was saved. So I thought you guys were smart enough to stick with magics' rules and policy.

To explain: In the 50's and earlier, magic was only sold by a short discription. You went into a dark room with only a table. A man would come out and ask what you wanted. He then disappeared thru some curtains. Apon re-entering with a brown paper wrapped package. You exchanged you money for the package and left. You could not even open the package until you left.

Then magic shop changed and dealers demoed trick for purchase. It was only good business to give you something to thing about for your next purchase.

Now we have the information highway. Everyone thinks they now have an open license to all the secrets, without payment. This is not and has never been the norm. The magic associations IBM and SAM have this as a standing policy.

Yes if you buy any information weither it a $2 book or a $100 book or just a sheet of paper that is okay. But, to post such a question and expect it to be a 'right', just because your are 'thinking' of purchasing is not a right.

Now we are fortunate to have some dealers and manufactures that stand behing their products and do replace defective merchandise. This is not the norm. I believe it was Percy Abbott, who 1st opened a chaine of store around the country changing how magic was marketed.

I have talked to professional who say, "I will not buy any trick unless I know how it is done, and will fit my working conditions." That is fine. It is rules he has set for himself. This will not effect or change the seller/manufacture.

Starrpower, magic and magic dealers cannot be comparied to Wal-Mart. It is not the same at all. Books are printed in lost of 500 and not 500,000. Tricks are made at the most in lots of a dozen, not 100,000. There for cost are greater. Finally, you are buying a secret and one you purchased and found out that secret. You received your monies worth, even if that amount was very expensive.

No I am not being sarcastic or raving, just trying to explain the rules. And if you do not like those rules, then only deal with dealers that will deal on your rules.

Have a great day! And join the IBM or SAM and support the policies of magic.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Mark Wilson puts a video out on levitations and he details everything about the super x and even shows you how he did it. He used it extensively in his advertising and even how he levitated a mayor.

Mark Wilson on Illusions, A Video Course Volume 3, Levitions $30.00

Another $10 Video, Magical Illusions by Tony Hassini also details the Super X, as well as other easy to do illusions.

Jim Sommers also puts out a booklet, "Build Your Own Illusions, Complete Text and Drawings for 20 Pratical Stage Size Magic Tricks" which has the Flying Carpert Super X Illusion in it.

So for a lot less than the price of a Super X Illusion you can learn lot more from books and videos on this subject. I enjoyed all theree of these items and recommend them if you want to know about the Super-X.

If you don't like any of them... sell them here on the Magic Café and get most/half of your money back!
Dennis Michael
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Good posts all, and info.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Question: I have the Mark Wilson book. In his video, did he do the Super-X the same way that was described in the book (with the curtains), or more down-stage?

Question: Still looking for a fresher way to do this levi.

Question: To all of us that do the Super-X, how do you prevent the spectator (I always use a lady from the audience) from seeing what they shouldn't see? You can PM me and we can share methods.

Question: How does Jell-O work?

Thanks!
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Super X Principle- Levitation Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL