The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why do we feed trolls? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, imgic wrote:
While other threads inspired the question that started this thread, please don't bring those discussion in here.

Why do we continuously discuss points with others when it's clear nobody's position will change, no new ideas are being exchsnged, and we'kl continue on even as the conversation degrades into an incoherent mess? Do we hope to reach somebody? Change them? Is it our stubbornness? Is it a waste of time? Or do you get some benefit from the continued exchange?

With few historical exceptions, I reject the distinction between trolls and people who complain about them.

Other than that, I agree with most of what RS said.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Just to be clear, I am not criticizing, condemning, or seeking to restrict speech. I'm just curious why we (myself included) engage in discussions long after they've devolved into meaningless messes. Why do we (myself included) continue to engage with folks when it's evident neither side is going to change mind, or why do we (myself included) respond to posts we find incredulous or nonsensical?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
While other threads inspired the question that started this thread, please don't bring those discussion in here.

Why do we continuously discuss points with others when it's clear nobody's position will change, no new ideas are being exchsnged, and we'kl continue on even as the conversation degrades into an incoherent mess? Do we hope to reach somebody? Change them? Is it our stubbornness? Is it a waste of time? Or do you get some benefit from the continued exchange?

With few historical exceptions, I reject the distinction between trolls and people who complain about them.

Other than that, I agree with most of what RS said.

Thanks Lobo. Which part(s) do you not agree with?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
Just to be clear, I am not criticizing, condemning, or seeking to restrict speech. I'm just curious why we (myself included) engage in discussions long after they've devolved into meaningless messes. Why do we (myself included) continue to engage with folks when it's evident neither side is going to change mind, or why do we (myself included) respond to posts we find incredulous or nonsensical?

Because it feeds your inner troll.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Smile I like that. Thanks. Inner Troll.

Parent/Adult/Child ... now add an inner Troll.

I'd like to have a trollmark available so we can playbow more obviously.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Let us put things more concretely. One or two posters on this forum significantly reduce the pleasure I get from chatting with my Magic Café Friends. NVMS is sometimes a very pleasant place to hang out and to disagree over issues well beyond our control. But in all honesty, some people pollute the atmosphere.

In all likelihood for a few members I am that person.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
On a good day I can hear others when they offer better by example.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Don't feed them Smile (If someone with a little better knowledge than me could pm me how to post a readable image of this, I would greatly appreciate it) my picture / file posting skills on this forum are not near what they are on Facebook Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Some people have no life. Just last night, this guy was in the booth next to mine at Denny's for five hours.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Why do we continue to Feed The Troll?

There are many reasons...

Anger at the outrageous statement or stance
Antipathy to their views
Carpe Dieming the Perfect Snark
Carpe Dieming telling someone they're stupid when they actually, relentlessly deliberately are
Correcting their untruths/mistakes/lies
Snatching at the dangling carrot, too dense to see the string OR the dangling OR our own manipulated dancing
Blindness to and/or permission for intense deliberate Passive-Aggressive behavior
Hopeful assumption of innocence in the Trolling
Assumption of sincerity instead of deliberate Trolling
Natural and automatic response to masochistic machinations
The chance to display wit
The joy of Dialogue's Badminton game
To better show ourselves that which we do not wish to be
the honest effort to tell them the errors of their ways, mores, beliefs or actions

and because no one should be Troll-Stupid without correction from SOMEBODY in the world!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Some people have no life. Just last night, this guy was in the booth next to mine at Denny's for five hours.

Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
False sense of ego, ego,ego
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Trolls feed trolls
nuff said
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, Tree wrote:
Trolls feed trolls

Cannibalism?
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
I am on a quest to rid humanity of stupidity and this seemed like a good place to start.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
LOL, Hermit! In my lifetime I have not seen stupidity decreasing. Only increasing.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
To control the Billy goat population
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I won't say he is a troll but I have found my Café experience up-lifted by simply avoiding any thread to which a certain member posts. I know he pushes my buttons and I know I'm going to react badly if I get involved so I've decided to step back. It hasn't kept me out of too many threads that I would have enjoyed and I'm happier for it.

We probably all have a couple of folks we should just avoid. It doesn't mean they are bad or wrong, just not a good mix with us.

I've decided not to feed my inner righteous indignation (which is pretty ravenous once it gets started).

-Mary Mowder
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Mary:

I just started doing that myself for the new year. Made resolution I was going to avoid any threads started by those that push my buttons, and not to reply to any of their postings in any other threads. Already caught myself a few times replying...then, before hitting send, I stopped. I realized I wasn't going to change their mind, and wasn't providing anything useful to any going conversation. It was just something that irked me, and I wanted to reply. So I stopped, deleted, and went to other discussion.

Now if I could just be as good with my resolution on weight loss and exercise...
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, imgic wrote:
Mary:

I just started doing that myself for the new year. Made resolution I was going to avoid any threads started by those that push my buttons, and not to reply to any of their postings in any other threads. Already caught myself a few times replying...then, before hitting send, I stopped. I realized I wasn't going to change their mind, and wasn't providing anything useful to any going conversation. It was just something that irked me, and I wanted to reply. So I stopped, deleted, and went to other discussion.

Now if I could just be as good with my resolution on weight loss and exercise...

If everyone followed your good example the troll(s) would be left ranting into the darkness all alone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why do we feed trolls? (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL