The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars Spoilers *Do Not Read* (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
If anyone wants me to spill the beans please let me know?

*Alert someone you grew fond of over the years dies in the film.
If you have read this far and don't want to know DO NOT COME BACK!

I started this thread for those of us folks that have seen the film
and wish to discuss it in greater detail.

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm not a Star Wars fan, so it wouldn't bother me a bit to come back here to see what's said about it. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1166 Posts

Profile of imgic
What? There's a new Star Wars movie out???
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
That was awesome how Darth Maul was Kylo Ren's dad, and was walking around on droid spider legs!
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
It's gonna be strange going forward without that certain someone, but I really like the depth of the new characters. I think the new franchise is off to a great start with a good story and interesting people. Our favorite old characters are passing the torch to some great new ones; let's hope they don't screw it up!

Also- Lucas never could write a good love scene; I like the nerdy crush Finn gets for Rey almost immediately, much better and more fun love scenes. The dialog in this movie was fun to listen to; I laughed several times.

Some people may complain about similarities between this film and New Hope, but I think it was smart to play it this way. It was as if JJ Abrams was letting us know we were starting fresh after the disappointments of 1-3 and he really showed his love for what we expect Star Wars to be.

I also think Mark Hammill is a better actor than he used to be. I saw him do a role in The Flash and he was just great playing a creep. I can't wait to see how he handles an older Luke.
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
414 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Anyone has an idea about who Is Supreme Leader Snoke?
Beltorak
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beltorak
Seen it twice now and going for a 3rd time!! It is so great!! Supreme Leader Snoke, some say he might be Darth Plaigues, would be cool if at the end of Episode 9 we would have a full circle Smile Have you guy's heard about the Role of James Bond (Daniel Craig) in the movie? I love it when they do things like this, how much fun must it be to come up with this stuff Smile
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
414 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Would be cool , and what about Rey? Luke Skywalker’s Daughter?
Beltorak
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beltorak
That is the most obvious, but she could also be Han's and Leia's daughter. The movies are in it's core a story about a family Smile and I do not think that Ben is the only Solo / Skywalker, I am sure there are more Skywalkers around. I also wonder if there will be a backstory of Finn. By the way, when Rey had her vision, did you hear the voices of Obi Wan and Yoda? So much going on Smile
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
The writers, director, producers did a good job of capturing and transforming many of the original elements--not merely wooden copying:

Mythic themes
Epic setting
Heartwarming tone
Family drama
Comedic bits of business
Endearing stock characters
Alien creatures
Structure of subplots and plot twists and plot holes (hopefully an artistic choice for the latter)
The physical special effects (vs all digital): more magical in the sense of our magic!
Fresh actors (vs. box office celebrities)
Motifs and tropes: the evil mask, the holographic commander, Nazi allusions, the refusal of the hero's call, and so on.

The powers of the force are greater, the evil weapons are bigger, the aliens more diverse--but the elemental core remains the same.
The choices of what details to keep from the originals were generally great, for example the title sequence and X-fighter firing screens.
The updates were logical and consistent, for example the new DD-8 droid and new Storm Trooper types.
The direct references and connections to the original should make die-hard fans happy.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Beltorak wrote:
That is the most obvious, but she could also be Han's and Leia's daughter.

The force seems very strong in Rey. As obvious as it is, I go with Luke being the father. (this could be an episode off Jerry Springer)
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
414 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Yes , her strong powers of the Force suggests that she might come from Jedi,
I guess we will have to wait for the next movie to be sure
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
I would argue Rey is Luke's daughter over Han and Leia's mainly because they talk in depth about their son but never mention a daughter. Also, Kylo doesn't recognize her n the forest.
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I want to chime in on this solo/Skywalker debate. To me; it makes more sense that she is a Solo and that maybe han and leia have seen thier son go bad so protect a younger child they sent her away. This situation could be why he talks to leia about how not everything was bad times. If she was sent away after Han left to go back to smuggling then naturally he might not recognize her. They also may have never told him where she was taken so connecting her to that event would never occur to him.
The other thing is that when she got off the Falcon after Han was killed leia comforted her without saying a word. As we know leia may not be a jedi but the force is strong with her.

Another prediction I have is the Ren will hate her with all he has because he wants to be as powerful as his grandfather. But he will be driven mad because his sister will be as powerful as Vader and he will hate her for it.

Also if you didn't notice; not only did Anikins saber turn up but when she found it the chest it was in was Ben Kinobis from episode 4, hmmmm now does that make think or what?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Finally got around to seeing the movie today. A perfect way to start the new year. Because no matter what calamity might come my way. It will be impossible to be as bad as this film is.

My expectations were low for this film. And yet, not a single one of them was met.

So I am finished with the Star Wars franchise.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Payne wrote:
Finally got around to seeing the movie today. A perfect way to start the new year. Because no matter what calamity might come my way. It will be impossible to be as bad as this film is.

My expectations were low for this film. And yet, not a single one of them was met.

So I am finished with the Star Wars franchise.

Did you enjoy the original, Payne?
I heard some were disappointed that the Star Wars expanded universe was not developed...
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
shg_123
View Profile
New user
Coffey, MO
63 Posts

Profile of shg_123
I think the certain someone who died should've died a long time ago, it would've completed his character more
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The actor is cast in the next film but I'm guessing flashback
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Alan Wheeler wrote:

Did you enjoy the original, Payne?

I saw the original movie nearly a hundred times in the theatre when it came out and over the ensuing years. So yes, I was a rather big fan of the first film.

Quote:

I heard some were disappointed that the Star Wars expanded universe was not developed...

Nor populated. It just didn't have that "lived in" feeling of the original film. Many scenes didn't feel as if they extended much beyond the edge of the screen.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars Spoilers *Do Not Read* (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL