The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars Spoilers *Do Not Read* (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I was terribly disappointed to find out the butler did it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I just saw the cast list for Rogue One and I'm pretty jazzed
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Beltorak wrote:
That is the most obvious, but she could also be Han's and Leia's daughter. The movies are in it's core a story about a family Smile and I do not think that Ben is the only Solo / Skywalker, I am sure there are more Skywalkers around. I also wonder if there will be a backstory of Finn. By the way, when Rey had her vision, did you hear the voices of Obi Wan and Yoda? So much going on Smile

Well, Han and Leia are aware of what happened to their son. There's no indication that they have another "missing" child. I'm going with Luke's unknown daughter.

And yes! I am happy to finally be able to join this thread now that I've finally seen this film!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Payne wrote:
Finally got around to seeing the movie today. A perfect way to start the new year. Because no matter what calamity might come my way. It will be impossible to be as bad as this film is.

My expectations were low for this film. And yet, not a single one of them was met.

So I am finished with the Star Wars franchise.

I don't know what your problem was Payne. I enjoyed it.
Ain't life unkind?"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:

So there’s this movie about an orphan on a desert planet who saves a droid from being salvaged.
Unfortunately this droid is being sought after by the Empire because of data it is carrying.
Our intrepid heroes are helped in their escape from Stormtroopers by Han and Chewbacca aboard the Millennium Falcon. This newly assembled group of protagonists eventually make their way to the Rebel base (making sure to stop off at an alien filled Cantina on the way so they can meet with a Yoda look-alike and retrieve a light sabre that, not only was lost on the gas planet Bespin, but is found in the exact same box Obi-Wan pulled it out of in his home on Tatooine). Once at the base plans to attack a planet killing weapon are hastily assembled and a squadron of small, one-man, fighters is launched against a “Death Star”

Any of this sounding familiar?

While all of this is going on we have to rescue the heroine from the Imperial Base, Replay the “Luke, I am your Father” scene from Empire, complete with scaffolding over an abyss. The only difference is the Father is chucked over the side instead of the son. But not to worry, I’m sure Han landed safely in a batch of Carbonite conveniently waiting at the bottom.

It was like watching a Fan Boy checklist

Desert Planet: Check

Ice Planet: Check

Jungle Planet: Check

Fly the Millennium Falcon through superstructure: Check (I’ll give them credit for restraining themselves and not
flying through the Asteroid Belt surrounding the D’Qar)

Masked Villain: Check

Masked Villain with family issues: Check

Masked Villain who turned to the dark side while being trained by a Jedi: check

Mysterious Holographic Emperor: Check

X-Wings Flying Down Trench: Check

And the list goes on and on. They even put a Porkin’s look-a-like in one of the Rebel ships

As for the Characters.

Kylo Ren is a Darth Vader fanboy with anger management issues who sealed his fate to be killed off the second he offed his Father. No chance for retribution here. He’s the walking dead.

Rey is a Mary-Sue who seemingly has mastered the force without training, or ever really hearing about it, so she has limited ability to grow as a character. She already almost single handedly beat Kylo and didn’t even manage to lose a hand in the deal.

Fin and Poe have possibilities. But also have the word Spin-Off written all over them

The Universe is ill defined. Why are there still resistance fighters if the Republic has been re-established. Is the First Order an off-shoot of the Republic’s forces, an example of a military industrial complex gone awry? Or are they remnants of the old Empire that have been reforming in hiding for the last 30 years? If so, they appear to be very well funded.

We live in a world where we can converse with our phones. But BB-8 still has to communicate with beeps and burps. Perhaps he should buy a phone.

But most importantly. Star Wars is a Saga. An ongoing story of epic proportions. This movie while introducing some new characters does so in a way that fails to move the story forward. It is akin to having a second battle of Moscow in War and Peace, but this time it’s orchestrated by a guy named Ronploinon.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I wasn't too thrilled with the film either after plunking down almost $60 for
the tickets and associated refreshments etc...

I completely agree with Master Payne. Smile
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
413 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, Devious wrote:
I wasn't too thrilled with the film either after plunking down almost $60 for
the tickets and associated refreshments etc...

I completely agree with Master Payne. Smile

$60 for tickets and refreshment ! I hope you drink some champagne .... but with champagne the movie should have been great ... Smile
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2072 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Is it just me or did Kylo Ren look and act like a younger Severus Snape?

Regards, Steve
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:

So there’s this movie about an orphan on a desert planet who saves a droid from being salvaged.
Unfortunately this droid is being sought after by the Empire because of data it is carrying.
Our intrepid heroes are helped in their escape from Stormtroopers by Han and Chewbacca aboard the Millennium Falcon. This newly assembled group of protagonists eventually make their way to the Rebel base (making sure to stop off at an alien filled Cantina on the way so they can meet with a Yoda look-alike and retrieve a light sabre that, not only was lost on the gas planet Bespin, but is found in the exact same box Obi-Wan pulled it out of in his home on Tatooine). Once at the base plans to attack a planet killing weapon are hastily assembled and a squadron of small, one-man, fighters is launched against a “Death Star”

Any of this sounding familiar?

While all of this is going on we have to rescue the heroine from the Imperial Base, Replay the “Luke, I am your Father” scene from Empire, complete with scaffolding over an abyss. The only difference is the Father is chucked over the side instead of the son. But not to worry, I’m sure Han landed safely in a batch of Carbonite conveniently waiting at the bottom.

It was like watching a Fan Boy checklist

Desert Planet: Check

Ice Planet: Check

Jungle Planet: Check

Fly the Millennium Falcon through superstructure: Check (I’ll give them credit for restraining themselves and not
flying through the Asteroid Belt surrounding the D’Qar)

Masked Villain: Check

Masked Villain with family issues: Check

Masked Villain who turned to the dark side while being trained by a Jedi: check

Mysterious Holographic Emperor: Check

X-Wings Flying Down Trench: Check

And the list goes on and on. They even put a Porkin’s look-a-like in one of the Rebel ships

As for the Characters.

Kylo Ren is a Darth Vader fanboy with anger management issues who sealed his fate to be killed off the second he offed his Father. No chance for retribution here. He’s the walking dead.

Rey is a Mary-Sue who seemingly has mastered the force without training, or ever really hearing about it, so she has limited ability to grow as a character. She already almost single handedly beat Kylo and didn’t even manage to lose a hand in the deal.

Fin and Poe have possibilities. But also have the word Spin-Off written all over them

The Universe is ill defined. Why are there still resistance fighters if the Republic has been re-established. Is the First Order an off-shoot of the Republic’s forces, an example of a military industrial complex gone awry? Or are they remnants of the old Empire that have been reforming in hiding for the last 30 years? If so, they appear to be very well funded.

We live in a world where we can converse with our phones. But BB-8 still has to communicate with beeps and burps. Perhaps he should buy a phone.

But most importantly. Star Wars is a Saga. An ongoing story of epic proportions. This movie while introducing some new characters does so in a way that fails to move the story forward. It is akin to having a second battle of Moscow in War and Peace, but this time it’s orchestrated by a guy named Ronploinon.

I was honestly expecting it to be even CLOSER to the original film than it turned out to be. I sat there saying; "Yeah, here's this catch moment. Here's THAT catch moment." But I still managed to enjoy myself. (Although, actually, I found C-3P0's entrance to be actually annoying.) I'm sorry you didn't.
Ain't life unkind?"
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Yay, finally saw it with my daughters today; we've been watching the originals (4,5 and 6) last week so we could be ready.

I loved it.
The deathstar/planet thing was almost too much for me (really, it's always the bad guys building a big deathstar or deathstar-like thing?), but I thought the rest of it was more interesting so I let that all slide.
I saw a lot of the similarities mentioned above, but I still liked it a lot. Much more than 1,2 and 3.

I thought Rey was absolutely badass. I thought it was awesome that she could use the force without training and can't wait to see where she goes with it and what her history is. I did think the lightsaber fight was a bit easy for her (and Fin) considering they were facing a supposedly trained Sith (or almost trained), but I honestly teared up a little when she got the light saber from the snow to start the fight (yes, lifted from Empire Strikes back. ...don't care ...loved it!)
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Oh, well it seems I came to the discussion too late.
In an effort to start it up again, Any thoughts on this?
https://www.facebook.com/sonofbaldwinfb/......02617862

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, seadog93 wrote:
Oh, well it seems I came to the discussion too late.
In an effort to start it up again, Any thoughts on this?
https://www.facebook.com/sonofbaldwinfb/......02617862

I used to get all concerned about stuff like this, and how racist the whole Star Wars franchise seemed to be. Such as the Trade Federation from the prequels. Then my wife, who's Asian and has dealt with stereotypes all her life, just sort of shrugged and said, "Whatever. I don't see it as racist; I think some people just read too much into things because they're already hypersensitive to stuff like that. You shouldn't let other people's perceived stereotypes define what you really are."

That said, the author seemed to not like the movie because it didn't go far enough, despite it going farther than most of what we see in Hollywood these days, in terms of casting and racial equality. Remember- the first Star Wars movies (Ep 4-6) featured a diverse cast of alien species, yet only had two human women (one of whom was a minor character, the other of whom was stuck in a bikini and chained to a Hutt;) didn't have any Hispanics, and only had one black guy.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
What if Rey ends up being related to Palpatine?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
A friend of mine, who is an African-American woman, said her family was divided on it. She and her oldest son loved it, her husband and youngest son felt very much like the article.

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, critter wrote:
What if Rey ends up being related to Palpatine?

That would be awesome, I hope some that like that happens. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars Spoilers *Do Not Read* (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL