The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » C/S anticipation and surprise (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
The recent posting of several approaches to a C/S Transposition effect found me reviewing all of my known approaches,
with a pondering of what works for a lay observer and why? I am looking for experience opinions on a simple scenario:

your right hand is palm up at waist level, open and empty. One or more objects are placed thereon and an action follows.
Which would you think is more astonishing based on what is expected vs. what occurs?

a) a single silver coin is placed, fist made and reopened. The coin is gone. (naked hand)

b) a single silver coin is placed, fist made and reopened. The coin is now copper.

c) a single silver coin is placed, fist made and reopened. There are now two silver coins.

d) a copper and silver coin are placed. The copper is removed leaving the silver visible on the fingers. Fist made and reopened. The coin is now copper.

e) a copper and silver coin are placed. The copper is removed leaving the silver visible on the fingers. Fist made and reopened. The copper has returned to join the silver.

f) a copper and silver coin are placed. The copper is removed leaving the silver visible on the fingers. Fist made and reopened. The silver is gone (naked hand).

g) a copper and silver coin are placed. The copper is removed leaving the silver visible on the fingers. Fist made and reopened. The coin is now gold.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
For me:
A. The hand is opened and nothing has changed.
B. The hand is opened and a small glass of milk and plate of cookies is "present"

As far as those listed by you
All could be magical......

Smile Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Funsway,

If this is a multiple choice question, I would say (d) would be surprising. However, you might need to check over your descriptions for (d) and (f). What happens to the coin that has been removed from the left hand?

I could be misunderstanding your original post. I tend to have medication induced morning brain fog.

Thanks for posting,

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
These options are meant to be just one phase of a complete routine in which a Transpo might be part or expected.

In the options mentioned left hand coin may have been placed in a spectator's hand or waiting to be.

(d) could open the left hand for reveal of an instant transpo or lead to an effect with two coppers.

(f) I have done this -- building the idea that magic sometimes has, "A mind of its own." I then did some one coin effects with the copper then split it into two coppers, then one into silver,
and continued with the original effect. I followed this course because no one wanted to volunteer to assist.

After this silliness I had two people who wanted to be assistants, so I did a Transpo between their hands.

The only falsehood in that story is I was using black and white stones and not coins.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's getting past the "exactly the same size" ...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Robert Parris
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Robert Parris
Although any of these effects would look good, I like c). It's always interesting to have objects multiply in the hand rather than just change denomination.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi Jonathan.

John Bannon has an idea in Impossibilia for a coin transposition between the magician and the spectators hands, using two different sized coins (quarter and half for example).

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
It's getting past the "exactly the same size" ...

I never thought of that as a limitation except if using a Exp ]

the "extra coin" approach could also mean "extra coins" and one can always just use just the two objects and some extra guile.

so many options added by just having visual color/shade contrast between coins -- some of those being false expectations.

Perhaps "Contrast Attention" should be added to the list of psychological ploys.

pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
My opinion is more of a spectator than magician, for me it is always better when the changes are more "bold", from empty hands to a coin in the hand, same with the reverse, or when one coin become more coins or the reverse.
Color changes, silver/copper in the heat of the trick, sometimes I forgot what was on the hand, so the reveal is great but I doubt it or need to rethink what was in the hand.

For instance I like C/s/b as a trick, however every time I ve seen it done or I do it, you need to remind the spectator what was on the hand and what was taken away, still a great trick but not as direct from something to nothing.

Another example is HH, all steps are great but the end is from something in the hand to nothing, great punch line.

Just my lay opinion
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Good point.
Clarity is important before the magic happens.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » C/S anticipation and surprise (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL