The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Alain Bellon's Billet Peek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Rudy,

Isn't selling a book from which you use one of it's two moves "at least a dozen times a day," a bit underhanded? I know this is a controversial subject, but such an act smacks of opportunism to me. You buy a secret, master it, then sell it. This is VERY different from buying a prop, deciding it is not for you and then passing it on. What you are doing, unless I'm missing something, is good business for you but rotten for mentalsim as a whole. Not at all what Mr. Bellon intneded when he released such a limited edition.

Bill
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
That's always going to happen when you overcharge.

I'm not agreeing with it, I'm just describing what happens if people don't feel they're getting value for money.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Quote:
On 2004-03-02 21:10, 7th_Son wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-03-02 19:09, Bill Cushman wrote:
Rudy,

Isn't selling a book from which you use one of it's two moves "at least a dozen times a day," a bit underhanded? I know this is a controversial subject, but such an act smacks of opportunism to me. You buy a secret, master it, then sell it.

That's always going to happen when you overcharge.

I'm not agreeing with it, I'm just describing what happens if people don't feel they're getting value for money.

I know many of the purchasers of the original OO. Not a single one of them even remotely feels they were overcharged. Actually, quite the opposite; I've heard over and over that they wished it had been priced higher to keep it out of the hands of the merely curious. Your argument doesn't hold water. Obviously Rudy feels he got his moneys worth if he is performing it as often as he claims. This was a quality package, including both the book and the CD, which looked like a rare book to be coveted and treasured for years. And of course the agreement among the mentalism community about how fantastic the moves are is even more important. Do you have OO 7th Son and if so, do you feel you were ripped off?

Bill
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Bill,

You misinterpreted my post.

I'm not saying OO is not value for money. I was explaining why some people might try and sell books after they've read them.

The more they feel a product is overpriced, the more likely they'll sell it.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
OO was far from overpriced when it was released at around $60.

Only 100 copies were produced, and each copy was numbered. Those that have sold their copy have done it for one of two reasons:

Historically, they have fetched $350 EBay, It can be easily argued that this is still worth it for the working mentalist and OO provides two very useful 'tools'. If another was to ever go up for sale I would not be at all surprised if they reached over $400.

Also those who realized mentalism wasn't as easy as they thought.

I would suspect that a vast majority who bought OO still have their copy and are unlikely to ever part with it. I have only ever seen two or three copies ever been put up for sale since it was published.

OO is one of the finest contributions ever made to our field.

Marc Climens
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
7th Son,

It was your statement, "That's always going to happen when you overcharge," that confused me. I think I get where you are coming from now, so please accept my apology.

I'm still not comfortable with Rudy selling his, given his obvious appreciation and use of the techniques. Rudy, are you out there? Am I misinterpreting you as well? I hope so, as I don't get where you are coming from otherwise.

Marc, just a quick "bravo" and "ditto"

Bill
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2004-03-02 19:09, Bill Cushman wrote:

Isn't selling a book from which you use one of it's two moves "at least a dozen times a day," a bit underhanded?

I usually stay out of these "Is this ethical?" conversations, but this position startles me. If you buy a book or a video and regularly use one of the effects, are you unethical for selling the book/video? Seems this is completely acceptable standard practice.

Gianni
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Hello Bill,
Sorry to take so long to respond to your post. I have been traveling and haven't had access to the internet.

I don't believe selling anything I have duplicates of or that I no longer need should cause anyone any problem. I have owned 4 copies of OO and I have sold 3 of them for a profit! I love the technique and I use it for associates and customers daily! I wasn't lucky enough to buy directly from Mr. Bellon and I have no idea what he intended when he sold his books!

I came across these books through various means. People selling decided they no longer needed their copies and I, being the opportunist that I am, made good buys! I certainly don't need 4 copies!

Am I selling to just anyone? NO! Everyone that I have sold the copies to were serious and dedicated to our art. I believe all my buyers were from "the magic Café." So, there you have it! I know my answer is not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth! By the way, any chance that you want to sell your copy? Smile
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Quote:
Everyone that I have sold the copies to were serious and dedicated to our art. I believe all my buyers were from "the Magic Café." So, there you have it!

ROFLMAO

Marc Climens
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
If you buy a book or a video and regularly use one of the effects, are you unethical for selling the book/video?

Without passing judgment, I will say that many people feel very strongly that if you use material of others, you should "own the rights" by owning the book/video it originated from. Once it is sold, you give up these rights. Continuing to use the material is paramount to stealing. This is a personal ethical decision. I know how I feel.

MS
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
I feel that way (or actually think like this). If not, what is the different between the following two?:
- Buying, learning the "secret" and then selling it
- Having a friend tell you the "secret"

You don't only buy the "secret", you buy the rights to use it.

Just my opinion.

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Via a communication with the author, he certainly is not happy with the cavalier attitude represented by those who defend reselling the material after mastering it. But, hey, he only wrote the book. What does his opinion matter? If he wanted to limit OO to 100 editions that is his problem. Sigh.

And another thought re:

"I have owned 4 copies of OO and I have sold 3 of them for a profit! I love the technique and I use it for associates and customers daily! I wasn't lucky enough to buy directly from Mr. Bellon and I have no idea what he intended when he sold his books!"

Yeah, right! Alain limited the release to 100 copies just so you could profiteer from the efforts of his artistic endeavor. Give it a rest and just acknowledge that you are taking advantadge of the situation regardless of the express and obvious wishes of the author. At least then, you will be honest about your lack of integrity.

Marc,

Please define: ROFLMAO

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. I think this will be my last post on this thread.
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Hi Bill,

ROFLMAO= Rolling On the Floor Laughing My (posterior body part reference deleted) Off.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
One last post to say thank you Michael. As always, you are a source of knowledge and demonstrating standards to live up to.

Bill
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
[quote]On 2004-03-04 04:14, Bill Cushman wrote:
And another thought re:

"I have owned 4 copies of OO and I have sold 3 of them for a profit! I love the technique and I use it for associates and customers daily! I wasn't lucky enough to buy directly from Mr. Bellon and I have no idea what he intended when he sold his books!"

Yeah, right! Alain limited the release to 100 copies just so you could profiteer from the efforts of his artistic endeavor. Give it a rest and just acknowledge that you are taking advantadge of the situation regardless of the express and obvious wishes of the author. At least then, you will be honest about your lack of integrity.

Hello Bill,
Wow! You are a feisty one! I feel better knowing that the magic/mentalism world is a far safer place with you policing it! Thank you for contacting the author and letting him know all about this most very important matter!
I enjoy reading most of your posts, you seem very knowledgeable and I hold no grudges! You have your opinion and I have mine!

Now, about that copy you own.....
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2004-03-04 10:17, brownbeauty wrote:
Hello Bill,
Wow! You are a feisty one! I feel better knowing that the magic/mentalism world is a far safer place with you policing it!

I believe the magic/mentalism world is a far better place with concerned mentalists like Bill Cushman in it. Important secrets of our craft should be protected, not sold indiscriminately for easy profit.

IMO, the mentalist community would do well to keep the good stuff underground. Way underground!!!

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Well, perhaps brownbeauty will sell so many that he will be able to eventually just "tell" me the secret, since I cannot afford the high prices that OO is garnering.

I have been selling everything I own so that I can do extensive research into billet work (including portions of my soul, it seems - and renting the wife out, but only at good rates! <grin>) and OO is the only manuscript that I have heard so many excellent things about, but cannot locate a copy. Obviously, with noted exceptions, those who have it want to keep it...
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Joe! I appreciate your stepping in and covering my back.

The Feisty One
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I've been a serious Mentalism student for over a year now and preparing my 1st mentalism show. I have gotten many DVDs not books of the classic Mentalism material. Till now I kinda avoid "THE PEEK" since I don't know which DVD can teach it well, as it is found in books and I'm not sure about the DVDs (I prefer the visualness of the DVDs).

I went back to searching for it. I might have it in some DVD I forgot about. Is it any of Richard Osterlind's material ? I'm not talking about a billet switch, I mean a billet peek where the spectator gets to hold on to it or in thier pockets folded or so. I have seen some exmaples of peeks by modern Mentalists like Peter Turner, Collin Mcleod or so.... But I'm searching for the original version. So may anyone please guide me to the source ? Thanks.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Another old thread that should have originally been posted in Inner Thoughts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Alain Bellon's Billet Peek (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL