The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Making a Murder (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
If you have an opportunity to catch this Netflix original 2015, 10-episode production, do so. You won't be disappointed. It's a true story about legal maneuvering and suspected police corruption in a small rural town near Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I'm into episode 7 and I don't know yet how it will end, so please, no spoilers.

One thing I can assure you, is that much of this real-life drama will infuriate you when you see the tactics employed by a police and legal system to send a man to prison for two crimes, one of which he was exonerated from after spending 18 years in prison, and another which he is clearly being framed for following his release. I'm a law enforcement kind of guy and I'm sick and tired of the police being relentlessly harassed today, but this series does give pause for reflection.

Be aware that it does move a bit slowly in the first two episodes, but it picks up steam to the point of my binge-watching four episodes last night alone. Smile

I'm anxious to see your comments if you're also watching it. I'd also like to hear from the armchair and professional attorneys out there for your opinions of the legal tactics employed. I'm finding the two defense attorneys to be brilliant in their tenacity, though like I said, I still don't know the outcome.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Apparently the series got a lot of attention. (Moreso than in here Smile )

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/01/04/th......68625962

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I intend to watch it, but nit until the semester ends. I'll come back to this thread, I promise.
Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
I'm watching it now. I think I'm through episode 3. It is infuriating . My wife just gets angry watching it seeing how they were so clearly framed.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
I intend to watch it, but nit until the semester ends. I'll come back to this thread, I promise.

Don't miss it, it's guaranteed to P**S you off.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Overworked, my wife had the exact reaction as your wife did.

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1096 Posts

Profile of imgic
As did my wife...lol...she was yelling at cops and the DA. It's made worse by fact that we're originally from Wisconsin. We remember a lot of coverage of the case when we lived there. Back then, from the media, it was a completely different story that what documentary shows.

Great series! Highly recommend it for everyone to watch.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Yup, they are. Very curious. So let's see where it goes. The general public seems outraged.

Do you find it interesting, at least, that the A.V. Club was founded by University of Wisconsin student Stephen Thompson who founded The Onion there five years earlier in 1988?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Well the Onion does often recommend AV club articles on their page so I figured they were the same group. I take all opinion articles with a healthy chaser of skepticism though
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Just binge watched it.

It seems clear to me that there was massive police misconduct, but I'm not convinced he's innocent.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1096 Posts

Profile of imgic
There's also quite a bit of evidence they don't show in the documentary...her phone, purse, and camera were in burn barrel by house, Averys non-blood DNA on hood latch after he removed battery cable, and fact he called victim 3 times that day. Twice blocking his number using *67. The third after she'd gone to apparently give himself and alibi of sorts. So I think he probably did it. But it also appears so clear of police corner up and incompetence...just mind blowing.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Do you think someone who has been wrongly incarcerated for 18 years for a rape he didn't commit, after securing his freedom, would murder someone? Possible, I suppose, but I'm more of the opinion he was railroaded because he was suing the authorities for a lot of money, which would have been a huge embarrassment.

But, who knows? You might be right. That you binge watched it must mean that you were at least somewhat captivated by the story. Smile

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, critter wrote:
Well the Onion does often recommend AV club articles on their page so I figured they were the same group. I take all opinion articles with a healthy chaser of skepticism though

If you delve further you'll find that A.V. had to publicly apologize for a story that was completely fabricated, back in the mid-2000s, if I recall, which also says something about their credibility.

Try and watch it, I'd be curios to know what you think after seeing it.

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2707 Posts

Profile of lunatik
A bit interesting from the former D.A. As lmgmagic had mentioned

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/making-murderer......676.html
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, Bob1Dog wrote:
Do you think someone who has been wrongly incarcerated for 18 years for a rape he didn't commit, after securing his freedom, would murder someone? Possible, I suppose, but I'm more of the opinion he was railroaded because he was suing the authorities for a lot of money, which would have been a huge embarrassment.

But, who knows? You might be right. That you binge watched it must mean that you were at least somewhat captivated by the story. Smile

I was, by a lot of aspects. Having lived in NYC all my life it's fascinating to watch the interactions of small town America, especially between LE and the general population.

The reasons I'm not convinced are pretty much what imgic said about what didn't make it into the documentary.

I'm also not convinced he's guilty, also for a lot of reasons. The main one being the lack of DNA evidence at the crime scene, which according to Brendan's scenario should have been impossible to scrub.

All in all it was well worth watching. Especially in this day and age when you can "research" the case online.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6314 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Watching it as we speak, Brother, thanks for the heads up. Excellent.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, magicfish wrote:
Watching it as we speak, Brother, thanks for the heads up. Excellent.

^ <like> Smile Have a great 2016 Brother! Smile

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1096 Posts

Profile of imgic
I hate NETFLIX! I have no will power to stop the binge watching! Very tough getting up for work when you stay up until 3am watching "just one more episode!"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I feel your pain. I watched the entire series of Breaking Bad in a few weeks!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Making a Murder (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL