The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » GERMAN WONDERLAND IN HAMBURG (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
430 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Remember the two brothers, in Germany, who had a wonderful model railway that was something to see? This is an update for their German Wonderland.

A short review, it was started by two brothers as a place to show their hobby. It began to grow by leaps & bounds. Soon they were joined by other 'Model Railroad Clubs' and other craftsmen. Some were electricians, model makers, carpenters, computer programmers. Their wives would stop by to see what they were doing and usually bring them a lunch.

One thing led to another. Three of the ladies had worked at a bakery, several visitors would ask if they had a snack bar. The idea was planted; some of the carpenters came and built a nice restaurant area for the bakery and a kitchen, too. If the fresh coffee smell didn't get you, then the bakery definitely would.
Over 400,000 man hours were spent making this dream come true.

This was about 5 years ago. One of the breweries came and furnished all of the tables and chairs, serving counter and, etc. Their latest finished area is the airport.
Planes look like they are flying and landing.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ACkmg3Y64_s?rel=0
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Wow.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
This is how Knott's Berry Farm got started.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Magic from A to Z wrote:
Remember the two brothers, in Germany, who had a wonderful model railway that was something to see? This is an update for their German Wonderland.

A short review, it was started by two brothers as a place to show their hobby. It began to grow by leaps & bounds. Soon they were joined by other 'Model Railroad Clubs' and other craftsmen. Some were electricians, model makers, carpenters, computer programmers. Their wives would stop by to see what they were doing and usually bring them a lunch.

One thing led to another. Three of the ladies had worked at a bakery, several visitors would ask if they had a snack bar. The idea was planted; some of the carpenters came and built a nice restaurant area for the bakery and a kitchen, too. If the fresh coffee smell didn't get you, then the bakery definitely would.

This was about 5 years ago. One of the breweries came and furnished all of the tables and chairs, serving counter and, etc. Their latest finished area is the airport.

Almost none of this is true.

The brothers are businessmen, not hobbiests. It was and remains a commercial enterprise. The whole backstory of the "hobby that grew with lots of help" is complete BS. No carpenters just showed up. (The building it resides in was built in 1927, and is a historic landmark.) The snack bar wasn't requested by visitors. No model railroad clubs were involved. No wives stopped by to see what the boys were up to. It was all planned and built professionally. It opened in 2001--not five years ago.

It amazes me that the real story--that two men with a superb business idea succeeded in producing a top-notch tourist attraction--isn't satisfying enough. Would we also prefer that Disneyland was just some kind of local flea market that just grew and grew? Are we so afraid of capitalism that we need fuzzy-wuzzy backstories to replace stories of entrepreneurial initiative? Knott's Berry Farm is a wonderful story of a place that grew. Miniatur Wunderland is not.

We've also talked about it before:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Magic from A to Z wrote:

Almost none of this is true.

The brothers are businessmen, not hobbiests. It was and remains a commercial enterprise. The whole backstory of the "hobby that grew with lots of help" is complete BS. No carpenters just showed up. (The building it resides in was built in 1927, and is a historic landmark.) The snack bar wasn't requested by visitors. No model railroad clubs were involved. No wives stopped by to see what the boys were up to. It was all planned and built professionally. It opened in 2001--not five years ago.

It amazes me that the real story--that two men with a superb business idea succeeded in producing a top-notch tourist attraction--isn't satisfying enough. Would we also prefer that Disneyland was just some kind of local flea market that just grew and grew? Are we so afraid of capitalism that we need fuzzy-wuzzy backstories to replace stories of entrepreneurial initiative? Knott's Berry Farm is a wonderful story of a place that grew. Miniatur Wunderland is not.

We've also talked about it before:

Party pooper.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
So what! It's still fun to look at. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It's rather spectacular, actually. Don't miss any chance to see it in person.

Still, as to the "So What!"--I'm interested in Urban-Legend-style made-up stories. Snopes calls them "glurges". The OP was obviously a glurge, so I tried to find it's source. I find the exact text posted over and over again, no where with an attribution of who wrote it. Maybe someone with Balducci's search-engine skills could do better.

The point is that the place is way cool and worth a visit, but the glurge version is unnecessary and...well...strange or even offensive. Why should we say "so what" when someone fails to give credit where credit is do? The OP is a complete cut-and-paste job done without any credit whatsoever to the source. The text itself is a complete fabrication that denies credit to the two men and their professional team who have spent over 15 years, 500,000 work-hours, and 8,000,000 Euros (he airport alone represents 150,000 work-hours and 3.5 million Euros) in creating the #1 tourist attraction in the second-largest city in Germany. It is a note-worthy--even heart-warming--success of entrepeneurial vision and professionalism, and the glurge has wives and bakers and carpenters pitching in on something that "began to grow by leaps and bounds". I don't want to spoil y'alls party; but maybe y'all want to spoil mine. Smile
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Stoneunhinged, the Grinch who stole Christmas! So Dr. Seuss based his story on you. Smile
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
It's rather spectacular, actually. Don't miss any chance to see it in person.

Still, as to the "So What!"--I'm interested in Urban-Legend-style made-up stories. Snopes calls them "glurges". The OP was obviously a glurge, so I tried to find it's source. I find the exact text posted over and over again, no where with an attribution of who wrote it. Maybe someone with Balducci's search-engine skills could do better.

The point is that the place is way cool and worth a visit, but the glurge version is unnecessary and...well...strange or even offensive. Why should we say "so what" when someone fails to give credit where credit is do? The OP is a complete cut-and-paste job done without any credit whatsoever to the source. The text itself is a complete fabrication that denies credit to the two men and their professional team who have spent over 15 years, 500,000 work-hours, and 8,000,000 Euros (he airport alone represents 150,000 work-hours and 3.5 million Euros) in creating the #1 tourist attraction in the second-largest city in Germany. It is a note-worthy--even heart-warming--success of entrepeneurial vision and professionalism, and the glurge has wives and bakers and carpenters pitching in on something that "began to grow by leaps and bounds". I don't want to spoil y'alls party; but maybe y'all want to spoil mine. Smile

Party on stoneunhinged, don't let me spoil your fun, but I still say for my party, "So what!" Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Merry Christmas, Bob!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
So what? Miles will tell you So What?

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Merry Christmas, Bob!

Back at ya Stone! Smile

Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Looks great
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » GERMAN WONDERLAND IN HAMBURG (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL