The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Secret doors & other gimmicks in house (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
I just bought an old house and will be refurbishing it come spring. I want to include, e.g., a secret door, but don't want to stop there. Can you help me out with other ideas for gimmicks of all kinds that would be fun to build?

Perhaps you can show off as dinner surprises for guests. Not just scary stuff (think Brian Gillis' old house), but also just fun things that amuse folks.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20571 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think having a secret door is great. Thing is the space needs to be invisible to the rest of the house or it is pointless. Sounds crazy but when putting in my office I did just this. The problem was making the rest of the space able to hide the office without being obvious from inside or outside.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
636 Posts

Profile of karnak
Multiple secret doors of various sorts, secret compartments of all sorts, secret closets, secret rooms, secret ways in and out of ordinary rooms, artwork in a frame mounted to the wall on hinges so it swings away (door-like) to reveal a secret wall safe, a two-way mirror mounted on the wall with a secret viewing chamber behind it, a secret entrance to the basement (if it has one) via bat-poles... stop me when you hear something you like.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
What about photographs of people on the wall, which change at certain angles? (I have one of a beautiful lady looking at herself in a dresser mirror, which changes to a skull).

Or maybe a portrait painting mounted on the wall, whose eyes move unexpectedly from time to time?

Or a sculpture of a hand, where the fingers suddenly move?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2910 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Ideas I've had for my own house over the years include a bookcase leading to a wine cellar, a sliding panel that reveals a wet bar, a tapestry that slides aside to reveal a TV or something similar, and secret compartments in furniture and moldings. I especially like the secret compartments since they are just plain fun.

Here's a piece of furniture I designed and built for a play a few years ago: http://georgefledo.net/Furniture.htm

Oh, to have the space to do a rotating bookcase with a candlestick on the wall next to it... Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Some type of Pepper's Ghost Illusion could be interesting.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1211 Posts

Profile of imgic
Some research into old spiritualist tricks ( floating tables, hidden projectors, etc) might give you some ideas.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5183 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Check out Penn Jillette's house "The Slammer" I saw it in a couple tv shows and it is full of secret rooms and trap doors.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16254 Posts

Profile of tommy
We used to own two old terrace houses next to each other which had an interconnecting door, which is the closest thing we had to secret door. We have an old bomb shelter in our garden which is quite invisible that is an old container I think.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Lots of great ideas in here Smile
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
If you have stair, a secret place in one of the steps.
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
I am renting
Hard to modify the stairs ...
But love the idea
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
209 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
I have always loved secret passageways! So enchanting! Smile
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Thanks, guys, I'll think about the staircase and maybe putting something behind a picture. I also want something along the lines of "open sesame" as they have in the castle. Maybe the guest bathroom. Smile

What about an outlet for dry ice, just for Christmas to enchant the kids and make it really magical?

Trapdoors, anyone?

Does anyone have special things built into their dining table to better prep for table magic?

I'm also thinking about special lighting that makes thread work easier in an after-dinner low-light environment.

OR, let's approach the topic differently: how would I set up a room to prep for a levitation, an instant color change of some object?

Keep it coming, thanks a lot!
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Fireplace mantle with a hinged lid/top.

You know the built-in "shoe rack" that runs along the ground and against the walls of your closet? Maybe newer homes don't have these, but the homes I lived in that were built in the 70's did. Pry the top portion off, removed the nails that were holding it to its base, and replace. Secret compartment underneath your shoe holder.

Here's the kind of thing I'm thinking of:

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
636 Posts

Profile of karnak
If you have wood floors, trap doors are easily hidden under area rugs of varying sizes (small Persian rugs, etc.).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have no ideas as such but if I was going to do that I would try to put a historic slant on it to add a depth of meaning. In Ireland and the UK during the suppression of catholics many great houses had priest holes to hide clergy men. Google priest hole and you might get ideas.

Also the actor Jimmy Stewart once owned a castle in Ireland, which he had filled with such oddities.

Have fun with it.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
209 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Have you seen Teller's house?

I know that there are companies that will custom build secret rooms and passageways for you (Creative Home Engineering - hiddenpassageway.com).

Here are some examples: http://gizmodo.com/20-secret-passageways......32195732
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Why stop there? Make the whole house one big illusion. Vanish and appear in various places. Put in levitation and PK gimmicks in strategic places. Then you really are a Magician.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Secret doors & other gimmicks in house (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL