The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Gregory Wilson - The Biggest Thief in Magic (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
toointoit
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of toointoit
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
360 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
It wasn't in doubt was it?
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Is Apollo really laying claim to placing a coin on a spectators shoulder?

I did that myself over 60 years ago. And I don't think I credited him.

Phil
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
855 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
People really need to get a life.

It's Christmas, go and stuff your Turkey or something.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Why start a thread with an inflammatory title like that. It's plain to see that you want controversy rather than discussion and I hope no-one plays along with you. It's christmas, at least try to be nice.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
No, the biggest thief in magic is ******* ******. I won't say their name because I'm all for keeping things positive at Christmas. All I will say is when I used to deal I saw some goings on from this person that made me want to get out of the business.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Good for Greg on setting the record straight!

I did not care for the title of the thread, but hopefully people looking at it will listen to the linked podcast and hear Greg himself address the issue.

Tony Iacoviello
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, Merlin wrote:
Is Apollo really laying claim to placing a coin on a spectators shoulder?

I did that myself over 60 years ago. And I don't think I credited him.

Phil

It was pretty much standard here in the 70s as well (before Apollo was born).
It was a nice finish for a one coin routine.

Tony Iacoviello
Apollo
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
77 Posts

Profile of Apollo
While Greg and I have a long history, we have discussed our issues directly in the past. This is not simply a crediting issue. I appreciate the desire of someone wanting to support me or others that were mentioned in Greg's interview, but I don't think this title or YouTube posting helps. Rather I think it highlights Greg's concern that he is being falsely accused and branded a "thief" unfairly. I do believe that our dispute is indicative of a larger problem in the magic community so I've agreed to respond to the podcast interview. I don't believe the Café is the proper forum.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
For those who did not click on the link, the topic title is referring to the title of the video.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Apollo
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
77 Posts

Profile of Apollo
Greg, if you find this post during your holiday, I hope my reply helps takes the stinger out of it. We can discuss this next year if you like. I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and happy holidays. Cheers, Apollo
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
For those who did not click on the link, the topic title is referring to the title of the video.

Yes, and poorly named as the content dpeaks to the opposite.

Plus this thread shoukd be in Right and Wrong which is for ethics and discussions of right and wrong, and not in Latest and Greatest which is for the discussion of new products.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, Apollo wrote:
Greg, if you find this post during your holiday, I hope my reply helps takes the stinger out of it. We can discuss this next year if you like. I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and happy holidays. Cheers, Apollo

Thanks Apollo. Where will you be posting your reply? Would also be interested to hear from James Brown about this issue.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
If nothing else I find Greg to be a bright, articulate guy with rational defenses. I find most people love to jump on the bandwagon and kick people when they're down. In a world of 140 characters news flashes, a sound bite is generally good enough evidence if it supports a prejudice. As Greg states, "I've made up my mind so don't confuse with me with the facts" is the way most of us roll. Sad but true.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, Platt wrote:
If nothing else I find Greg to be a bright, articulate guy with rational defenses. I find most people love to jump on the bandwagon and kick people when they're down. In a world of 140 characters news flashes, a sound bite is generally good enough evidence if it supports a prejudice. As Greg states, "I've made up my mind so don't confuse with me with the facts" is the way most of us roll. Sad but true.

Well said, Brian!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
There is no such thing as discussion on the Café
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
This was originally from a podcast by Scott Wells at his The Magic Word Podcast website. This podcast is located here: http://themagicwordpodcast.com/scottwell......y-wilson

The YouTube video uses a large clip from that podcast and from what I understand it was not uploaded by either Greg or Scott. (Per a post by Richard Hatch on the Genii forum).

Jim
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
All I can say is I'm a big fan of Greg Wilson and his work. I agree with him that if someone has an issue with Greg, they should talk to him before spouting s**t.

KJ
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
This was originally from a podcast by Scott Wells at his The Magic Word Podcast website. This podcast is located here: http://themagicwordpodcast.com/scottwell......y-wilson

Definitely go to the source on this, thanks Jim.

These two guys are the best in this business on the subject of psychology, deception, misdirection and audience management. If its possible, I'd be great if they clear the air. They have both been massively inspirational and educational and you'll always get tons from watching and listening to them.

Nice to hear Greg's side of this. He is a great teacher and massive inspiration! His crediting and honesty has always been top notch... And his get out of jail free card is hilarious.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
We should always exercise caution before we accuse someone of plagiarism. This example from popular music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3lvudmOAw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Gregory Wilson - The Biggest Thief in Magic (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL