The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell silver dollars (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Is it possible to obtain a shell silver dollar of any sort?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yes Todd Lassen Makes A great One! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
A custom maker can make one from any silver coin.
If it is foreign coin you will have to supply it though.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I believe Johnson Products sells them as well, or at least used to.
You can also try the used market such as auction sites, etc.
When you get over 50 posts you have access to the buy/trade threads here on the Café.
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of jmagic
Joe Mogar has beautiful Silver Morgan Shells for sale...
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
So does Mark Mason.
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Thanks for all the reply's. As my hands are to big for the half dollars, I did not want to have to use them at all. I am looking into the ones at tricksupply...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Trick supply looks to carry many of the mfg's/ suppliers named. Are you looking for an Ike shell or a real silver shell like a Morgan or Peace Dollar?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
You can also do a search in the magic tricks section of Ebay. Simply put "Eisenhower" in the search box and several choices will often come up - usually always a Tango shell for an Ike Dollar.

But remember to know the retail price of whatever you look for because some Ebay sellers inexplicably charge more than what you'd be charged at a magic site like Penguin. Guess they count of the buyer being lazy.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I love Lassen, the undisputed king of coins (to me, anyway), but I have to say that Joe Mogar has become someone I have come to rely upon for quality coins. If Joe's website doesn't show it, email him and ask if he can supply it. Chances are, he can.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I saw Mark Mason do a routine, live, using his Shell Shocked set. Of course, his routine was great. The shell looked great, and it really does cover the entire edge of the nested coin, if that's a consideration.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, Chessmann wrote:
I saw Mark Mason do a routine, live, using his Shell Shocked set. Of course, his routine was great. The shell looked great, and it really does cover the entire edge of the nested coin, if that's a consideration.

That is definitly a consideration. The coin edge showing is probably the expanded shells only drawback.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I do not think more than possibly 1% of your specs over a lifetime would notice that if you work your angles properly. It is another one of those "You need to not think like a magician and think like a spec things" They should not know they are in play, so they would not be looking for them. "Darn Turtles anyway!" Smile

A great example I have told before - A long time ago, early in my career. I did not like the skin tone difference from my hands to my thumb-tip. I walked into Chuck's House of Magic in Chicago and told him of my woes and that I would gladly pay a premium if I could find the right tone. He told me that he knew "EXACTLY" what I needed. He went under the counter and dug a small silk out of a box. He then proceeded to do the everyday run of the mill vanish and appearance of said silk. I told him that looked wonderful...Did he have one that would match my skin tone? and held out my hand. He then turned his hand over to expose the chrome plated thumb-tip he had just fooled me badly with and asked if I had any more silly questions. I was dumbfounded, but thankfully he spent the next half hour teaching me how to "properly" use a thumb-tip and how to present it so angles are never a factor. I bought an extra new thumb-tip (off color and all plus a new silk as mine was getting quite worn).

I know the example is not that of a coin shell but the principle of angles is the key point to much of magic. I really miss all those Brick and Mortar Shops and the great lessons you just cant get from clicking "add to cart" on an internet shop. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Watching Mark Mason perform/demo in-person was a lesson in "it's not the props, it's the performance." Even I, as a performer, curious to look at the props, became just another entertained spectator.
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Now that I think about it, poof-daddy has a very valid point. I have heard the classic "chrome thumb tip" stories, but as I have only been in a brick and mortar magic shop three times, I never got to see it. Like you said, angles are a key point in all magic. In this new era of "false bottoms" we want the gimmicks to do the work for us. This new era also seems to make all the brick and mortars vanish, a really bad trick if there ever was one.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I'll throw in another vote for Lassen. That man has gotten way to much of my money because of his great skill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell silver dollars (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL