The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jason Alexander LIVE: Sunday Jan 3rd @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Jason Alexander LIVE: Sunday Jan 3rd @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) Required viewing for every magician and mentalist! SUPPORT LIVE MAGIC.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6430

Who is he?

Obviously, you recognize Jason Alexander from his role as George Costanza on the highly-successful sitcom Seinfeld. He's also had an active career on stage, appearing in several Broadway musicals, even winning a Tony Award as Best Leading Actor in a Musical. And, he's amassed an extensive list of TV and movie credits But, what you may not know is Jason Alexander is an avid amateur magician with a love for mentalism.

In 2006, he was convinced to perform a week at the Magic Castle, and (as a result of his engaging presentation) he was awarded the Parlor Magician of the year!

In this Penguin Live lecture, Jason breaks down his performance beat-for-beat to reveal how he (as a trained actor) approached the role of a mentalist. What he reveals goes way beyond mere methods, and speaks to the very core of context, motivation, and believability. It will inspire you in your own work.

What will he teach?

He starts by explaining why he chose to open with Jon Allen's Silent Treatment and how he scripted his opening remarks to answer questions and set the mood.

In his second effect, he raises the stakes on the old which-hand-is-it-in plot by incorporating a charming, character-driven story that makes you care.

Then, he employs his theatrical training to read a helper's internalized emotions and reveal them through a beautiful piece of original poetry.

Next, delving into the realm of chaos theory and the work of Dr. Meehl, he connects people emotionally with a random process that turns out to be predictable.

Then, taking a classic device in directions you've never seen before, he creates an epic reveal that will make you re-assess the potential of this prop.

You'll learn so many valuable lessons in this lecture, it should be required viewing for every magician and mentalist! Don't miss it!
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
I'm looking forward to this.
lejulio
View Profile
New user
Worlwide
56 Posts

Profile of lejulio
It sounds interesting...
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I'm going to start watching tonight. Has anyone else seen this? Thoughts?
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
This is just my type of material, character not trick driven. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts Mr. Mindbender, you and I seem to have similar opinions.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I'm going to start watching tonight. Has anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

Yes, I watched it. I didn't think that this would be that good, but I really liked it. You don't learn any new effects as everything is store bought props, but that is OK. What I enjoyed was the thinking that went into each routine. I really bought this lecture just to see his which hand routine, and I have to say that this was the most entertaining which hand routine that I have ever seen. Every routine had great presentation.

I have to admit that I am glad that I bought this.

Best
Ray
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Fantastic lecture. I went in thinking it would be a lesson in character and not teaching tricks and that exactly what it was and I loved it. Learned a lot. And I am a Seinfeld fan so added bonus to hear a few behind the scenes comments

Ryan
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Yes, I echo everyones thoughts. I love these kinds of lectures. Truly useful talk about character and routine structure. A lot of talk about the thought that goes into presenting mentalism. Definitely a great value.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Does anyone know if the complete uncut Castle performance is available anywhere?
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Great to hear George Costanza's thoughts Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
You might want to look at issue 2 of Reel Magic....he was on the cover and covers a lot of great ideas about character development. If you don't buy this lecture from Penquin you're simply not serious about magic.
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
I thought it was going to be a lecture about nothing
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, Kozmo wrote:
You might want to look at issue 2 of Reel Magic....he was on the cover and covers a lot of great ideas about character development. If you don't buy this lecture from Penquin you're simply not serious about magic.

Does this happen to have the entire Castle performance?
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Is the "discuss" area on Penguin's site down? It's taking an awfully long time to load.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
This was one of my favorite Penguin lectures. You'll see Jason's Castle act followed by interesting discussion about his choices of material, plus thoughts about character development, and a whole lot more. Although this isn't a learn-a-trick lecture it will definitely get you thinking about your own act, and was most entertaining.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, tmoca wrote:
Does anyone know if the complete uncut Castle performance is available anywhere?

I shot this so as far as I know Jason and I are the only ones with the footage. I'm not sure what rights he gave to Penguin Magic but nearly 100% of the show was seen in the lecture and yes, it was amazing to see in person!
Ray Pierce
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Ray Pierce wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, tmoca wrote:

I shot this so as far as I know Jason and I are the only ones with the footage. I'm not sure what rights he gave to Penguin Magic but nearly 100% of the show was seen in the lecture and yes, it was amazing to see in person!

Ray,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciate!
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Finally we have a lecture that analyzes presentation more than tricks! And it doesn't just speak in vague generalities about presentation, but uses Jason Alexander's entire mentalism act at the Magic Castle for its specific examples. Each effect is shown in performance, and then its presentation is analyzed. It's brilliant.

The best part is that this is a coherent act, not just a random bag of tricks. It's presented by a character who has a worldview and a purpose in showing these effects to an audience -- and Jason Alexander talks about all of this.

Towards the end, he notes that he teaches acting master classes assuming that students have a bag of tools -- they've studied methods and know exactly how to use a hammer, a radial arm saw, and a screwdriver, but that doesn't mean they know how to build a house. Building an act is like building a house. Magicians have mastered plenty of tricks, but few know how to build a well-designed act. This lecture assumes you have those tools, and is almost all about design.

Top marks. Highest recommendation.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
WOW, just finished watching this and was totally mesmerised listening to what Jason had to say. Dan did an almighty job asking the questions. The material is all commercially available and everyone will recognise them. But what a great structure, storyline and master class on how to engage the audience. Fantastic lecture. His which hand plot/story was the best I've ever seen. Never liked the effect, now I luv it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jason Alexander LIVE: Sunday Jan 3rd @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL