The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Card tricks and palm reading! (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2015, Marc O wrote:
Card reading wouldn't be my cup of tea, but maybe best not to judge a book by it's cover.
There is some very good material about card reading to find if you just look close enough on the net or maybe even in this thread Smile

or in a book.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"I haven't had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother"
...priceless.
ByronGrey
View Profile
New user
Wyoming
40 Posts

Profile of ByronGrey
I remember a gig in the Allen Room in NYC and some guys were doing sponge balls and (drum roll) spoon bending. SMH.
lurker
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of lurker
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, ByronGrey wrote:
I remember a gig in the Allen Room in NYC and some guys were doing sponge balls and (drum roll) spoon bending. SMH.

Oh, I knew a fellow who would do the sponge balls at psychic fairs. I don't think the other psychics approved. He would hold up a sponge ball and say, "these other readers use crystal balls. I use sponge balls. Can you see any visions in the ball?" They would of course answer "no" and then he would go into the sponge ball routine which created a lot of noise and distraction. He got a lot of dirty looks from the other psychics I must say. I will concede he was always busy though.

I knew another reader who would give away a free lottery ticket with every reading in order to attract business. He would say, "I don't guarantee anything but remember this ticket was chosen by a psychic!"
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10241 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm getting a clearer picture now. I love some of those lines.
ByronGrey
View Profile
New user
Wyoming
40 Posts

Profile of ByronGrey
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, lurker wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, ByronGrey wrote:

Oh, I knew a fellow who would do the sponge balls at psychic fairs. I don't think the other psychics approved. He would hold up a sponge ball and say, "these other readers use crystal balls. I use sponge balls. Can you see any visions in the ball?" They would of course answer "no" and then he would go into the sponge ball routine which created a lot of noise and distraction. He got a lot of dirty looks from the other psychics I must say. I will concede he was always busy though.

I knew another reader who would give away a free lottery ticket with every reading in order to attract business. He would say, "I don't guarantee anything but remember this ticket was chosen by a psychic!"

This scenario came to mind:

Querent: "How many children will I have?"
Psychic: (Eugene Burger reveal) "WHOAAAA! THERE'S POTENTIAL FOR 30!!!!!"

-Byron
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
I love watching Mark Lewis. I've seen video of him performing for children and he kills, Ive seen video of him performing restaraunt magic for adults and he kills. I've listened to recordings I've purchased of him doing actual psychic readings at fairs with a hidden microphone and he kills. No one else doing readings has the nerve to do that and I think its because the so called "cold reading" experts are not nearly as good a reader as they would have us believe. I admire him and thinks its a shame that he gets banned from message boards because overly sensitive or egotistical magicians with no sense of humor can't handle his abbrasicve character. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and by the way, just for the record I am not MarK lewis posting under another name as he has been known to do.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
297 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
BRING BACK MARK LEWIS!!!!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2627 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I am Mark Lewis.

Not really.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
A great pitchman who can re-run the script over and over and still make a buck is a sight to behold and hear. Carnivals, midways and street fair performers could learn a thing or two from these videos.

The only thing I see here that rings wrong in my ear is his lack of pitching his palm and tarot reading during thisp pitch, and making apointments for this longer form. I would also tend to credential the longer forms by saying that they are (palm, tarot) a "skill, knack, inner and secret knowledge" discovered while working on the edges of their reality and that of the ancient and misunderstood wisdom as a performance magician.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12600 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2015, lurker wrote:
I just saw the oddest thing on the card trick section. There was a video of a guy who did card tricks and palm reading. He was charging money for the palm readings too! What on earth has palmistry got to do with card tricks? Surely one affects the credibility of the other? Mixing magic in with mentalism is bad enough I would have thought but doing magic and then reading palms for money sounds even worse and makes no sense to me.

It's called a living.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12600 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2015, Alwow wrote:
I believe Paul Voodini had a DVD on this exact thing actually.

I just got this....

http://www.scottcreasey.com/cartomancy-for-magicians/

Bevvy has some good stuff too on cartomancy. Fun stuff.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12600 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, lurker wrote:
Do you mean differently from him? Or do you just mean different in general? In other words are you pro or against him? Just seeking some clarification that's all.

I mean do what works for you. That's what he's doing. He's an entertainer. I'm not pro or against anything much in entertainment. Some of these labels is what paralyzes some into never reaching the heights they strive for. Perhaps they use these labels and rationals for excuses.

J
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2627 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Thanks John. You get as much from my cartomancy book as you put in. Once you start using it however, all ideas of doing a mentalism routine disappear. As is usual with any type of reading!
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix, AZ
200 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Paul Voodini has a routine called the 'Hand of Destiny'.

In the routine, a spectator selects a card and places it underneath the card box so the performer cannot see the card. The performer then reads the spectator's palm and apparently names what card they pick based upon the reading.

I have performed this routine to great effect.

In his Penguin Lecture, Paul Voodini mentions that he doesn't have the same issue that other mentalists have around using cards.

I don't think cards are as strongly associated with sleight of hand as magicians like to think. In the right context, I think they seem perfectly natural alongside mentalism/palm reading.
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
Doing a Svengali deck routine while selling readings doesn't seem to fly with conventional wisdom but here he is doing it and I bet its working just fine for him. There is a guy in new York who sits outside and does Tarot readings all day while wearing a magicians cape and top hat. He has a sign that says "Genius tarot readings by member of Mensa" or something like that. I don't think people care as much as we think they do that your a magician. As long as you proclaim yourself a legit tarot reader and give good readings people will be happy. Your a magician your sussposed to know how to do cool things anyway. I don't think I could pull it off but apparently some people can.
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Mark was a contributor to The Mental Image, and his bouts with Ford Kross were monumental.
SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I have a lot of time for Mark Lewis. I true one-off. And despite everything you may hear to the contrary, a gentleman.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
575 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Mark is a frequent poster in the new VANISH Magic World News Group, you can all tell him how fabulous you think he is there.

Free to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vanishmagicworldnews/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Card tricks and palm reading! (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL