The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books on History of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
I'm going to do a big history paper for school on the Golden Age of Magic in the early 1900s and its impact on popular culture during that time period. Are there any recommendations for books that don't have many tricks, and focus on the history of magic? I already have Ricky Jay's Journal of Anomalies, and this is the type of book I'm looking for. Thanks!
bvbernard
View Profile
New user
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
95 Posts

Profile of bvbernard
I would recommend "Hiding the Elephant" by Jim Steinmeyer. It is a very good read. Another which deals with some personalities is "Phantoms at the Card Table" by which deal with Walter Irving Scott who was an excellant card worker and some history of the card workers of his time. It's by Britland and Gazzo. I've read both and recommend them to all.

Bruce
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Check out the Learned Pig website..if your a member ( its free ) it has a ton of history on magic
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Christopher, Milbourne: The Illustrated History of Magic
Christopher, Milbourne: Magic - A Picture Histoy
Clark, Sidney: The Annals of Conjuring
Randi, James: Conjuring
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
As Uli mentioned, Milbourne Christopher's "Illustrated History of Magic" is ideal. David Blaine's "Mysterious Stranger" has a bunch of history thrown in there. "Houdini On Magic" offers up some insight of the history.

Also, PBS came out with a video special about magic and the history and techniques. My library has it, so yours may, too.

Otherwise, just go to the library and browse the magic section. The libraries that I've been to (even my tiny high-school library) has at least two or three books devoted to the history of magic.
nakulshenoy
View Profile
New user
Bangalore, India
91 Posts

Profile of nakulshenoy
Hi,

Here's a select bibliography that might help:

CANNEL, J.C. (1973). The Secrets of Houdini.
New York: Dover Publications.

CHRISTOPHER, M. (1991). Magic: A Picture History.

DAWES, E.A. & SETTERINGTON, A. (1993). Making Magic.
London: Multimedia Books Limited.

GIBSON, W.B. & YOUNG, M.N. (1953). Houdini on Magic.

SORCAR, P.C. (1970). History of Magic.
Calcutta: Indrajal Publications.

WALDMAN, C., SWISS J.I. & COFFEY F. (1998). The Art of Magic - The Companion to the PBS Special
New York: General Publishing Group
Nakul Shenoy
The Mind Reader
www.nakulshenoy.com
partyboy
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal, Québec
142 Posts

Profile of partyboy
I've heard that Magic and Meaning by Eugene Burger and Robert Neale is a book more based on the history of magic as well.
"communicate your humanity, 'cause that's what we all are after all : human!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books on History of Magic (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL