The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Homemade (i.e., real) eggnog (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Usually I make eggnog for Christmas, but this year I didn't get around to it until New Year’s Eve. Here’s the (full) recipe; I made only a half batch this year (because eggnog and Norco don’t mix well … I’m told):

Beat together 12 egg yolks until creamy. (Refrigerate the egg whites for later; see below.)

Add 1 lb. confectioner's sugar and beat until thoroughly mixed and a light lemon yellow.

Slowly add 2 cups liquor (dark rum, brandy, bourbon, rye, or a mixture), beating constantly. (I hate rum, so I use brandy.)

Cover and let stand at room temperature for one hour.

Slowly add 2 quarts whipping cream, beating constantly, until smooth. Add 2 - 4 cups chosen liquor, beating constantly, until smooth. Optionally, add 1 cup peach brandy, beating until smooth. (I use 4 cups of brandy, and always add the peach brandy (or, in a pinch, peach schnapps).)

Whip 12 egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold the egg whites into the eggnog.

Refrigerate three hours before serving. Top each serving with freshly grated nutmeg.

Enjoy it!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
So a dish rather than a drink?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
A series of drinks, or one drink each for a (large) number of friends.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Does the liquor kill any possible salmonella in the raw eggs?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, karnak wrote:
Does the liquor kill any possible salmonella in the raw eggs?

Funny you should ask that.

My wife was always concerned about salmonella, and kept telling me that I should ask our family doctor that very question. The conversation between John (doctor, Mormon), and yours truly ran roughly on these lines:

Yours Truly: Will the alcohol in my home-made eggnog kill any salmonella present in the raw eggs?

John: How many eggs?

Yours Truly: A dozen.

John: How much alcohol?

Yours Truly: Six cups, 40-proof

John: You're fine!

I brought him a sample. His wife said that it was wonderful.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
All that cream and whipped eggs, that's one thick drink.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My wife and daughter like it but I am not fan, as it tastes like sugared milk to me and I prefer a more bitter drink.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I am addicted to egg nog and try just about every brand I find. Mostly, I prefer the regular, non-flavored types. This year I discovered a reasonably local dairy making it. (Oberweis)

http://www.oberweis.com/web/default.asp

It's about 8 bucks for a half gallon, but worth every penny. It also comes in real glass bottles!

FWIW - they also make killer lemonade.

OK, so homemade eggnog. Yes, I have tried many recipes. This year, I made a cooked egg nog for the first time and it was quite good. It's quite a process and much more labor intensive, but the results were worth it. It was an amalgam of a couple different online recipes.

But, there is a tradition in my family that is a go-to holiday egg-based drink... Tom & Jerrys. My dad used to make these at Christmastime. These are made from eggs, powdered sugar, rum, brandy and hot water, topped with nutmeg. You make the "batter" and build each drink individually with the booze and hot water. The batter is best fresh, but with luck, can last a day or so in the fridge.

There are even special Tom & Jerry cup and bowl sets for the true aficionado.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't drink so this recipe would be useless to me.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
This sounds good. I will be trying it, and I might not wait until next Christmas.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I finished my New Year's (half-) batch today.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
S2000-

Thanks for the recipe- I will give it a go. Regarding the salmonella issue, if you scrub the egg shells in hot, soapy water first, you eliminate almost all the possibility...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
A holiday bump.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, S2000magician wrote:

And at only 40 proof? (Isn’t most bourbon, rum, brandy, etc. at least 80 proof [i.e., = 40%]?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
My wife is egg nog fan...I never cared for it. This year she bought lactose free Egg Nog. Seemed like an abomination. She didn't like it. But it does make lovely french toast.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2020, karnak wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, S2000magician wrote:

And at only 40 proof? (Isn’t most bourbon, rum, brandy, etc. at least 80 proof [i.e., = 40%]?)

My mistake: 80 proof.

(Good catch!)
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've always liked egg nog, but haven't had any for at least the last couple of Christmases. Pity.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Homemade (i.e., real) eggnog (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL