The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First Time Busker (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Hi Chris, how effective was Rocky as a draw? I'm thinking that's what I'll use for the draw - I'm just not accomplished enough with Rocky yet for a street run. 😕
How long were you out for?
What's PB&E?
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
I was only out an hour. Caught the lunch crowds.

Rocky was fun if you let him have his own personality! My fiance was like "its going to scare people" and I was like no way! Its especially good with teens and younger. After a couple min of rocmy and some Jkes went into sponges into five card opener.

PB&E is chris Philpotts egg bag using a paper bag instead of cloth. It was fun.

You dnt have to be accomplished with rocky as long as you know some basic actions and able to toss him haha
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Do you just play with Rocky, and as someone pauses to look - just throw Rocky at them making them jump.
I can see this creating noise, & movement and gets the attention of more people.

Then follow up the scare tactics with a few Rocky jokes.

When throwing Rocky at people. Anyone? Or do you concentrate on women and kids?
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Haha I just play with rocky, feed him and I ask if they want to pet him. I make him run as if hes shy but then as I turn to my left I toss him at a woman or kid. Then I go into a few rocky jokes. The standard ones. Then go into the routines
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Went out today. Not too many people, a bit on the chillier side. Had some fun with a family and a couple. didn't go into full routines just small tricks here and there.

What I did today was:

Triad Coins - Josh Jay
Leipzig's Surprise - Carney/Skinner/Leipzig
Wishing Well - David Williamson
Ring n Rope - David Williamson/George Sands

It was fun! Had a bit of trouble with buckling cards so after Leipzig's Opener I stayed away from using cards.

Mental Noting to self, I haven't been doing anything sleight heavy (not that I can't but my hands cant function when it's cold haha!).

I also got a tip on where to go for a bunch of families just taking their kids out for some fun and feeding birds. Going to try that tomorrow morning (If I wake up).
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Are you doing all of those routines for each group, or using different routines for different groups?
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Well. I have my group set. But I don't feel like doing my set being that I'm still experimenting with flow and such and the foot traffic is so minimal and cold I've resorted to few tricks here and there and if by chance I get more foot traffic and start a group going, then I'll go into it.

I imagine that when it gets busier, I'll be more apt to go into my actual routine rather than quick tricks so they can get out of the cold and where they need to be.

Needless to say it's been fun doing close up stuff with the people haha.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Went again today. It was a lot better since there was a lot more foot traffic. These "Trickle" Shows are a lot of fun! Didn't get to go into full set again however I caught more attention of the older guys by doing Dai Vernon's Triumph. It floors them.

I had a couple families and children stop by. They really loved Rocky. Then I went into Triad Coins and then Sponges with a 5" Ball finish.

I can't believe I've been missing out on this for a while! For anyone that is hesitant to get out there, just do it! It'll be a blast!
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Haha, thanks for posting these. I'm going to hit the streets again next weekend. Rocky might get his first run. 😀
How long were you out for? Are you finding Rocky makes it easy to stop people?
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Yes simply of the curiosity factor! I was only out for about an hour and 20 min. Started getting a little chilly and I was getting hungry haha.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Thanks for the post. I have wanted to do this for awhile but haven't yet. You may end up getting me iut. Have you tried looking for events? We have a first Friday event here in Springfield that gets people out on the streets.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'm a little late on this thread, and I honestly don't have time to read what everyone else has already posted so forgive me if I am repeating things already said.

I'm not sure of the inner workings of the tricks you have selected, but I can tell you that you want to avoid any tricks that require a "reset". I try to avoid any and all tricks that don't reset themselves ... yes, I know others do this and they usually have time to reset in between crowds ... when it is slow that is ... but ...

The thing about busking is that when your are busy, resetting is very "unprofitable". If for example your five card repeat leaves cards scattered everywhere and you have to pick them up and rearrange them, then you should avoid it.

The other thing I can say is I wouldn't do bill in lemon ... I know others do, but I don't recommend for the simple fact that you will get your hands dirty and sticky and that will get all over your props and then you not only have to waste time resetting, you also have to waste time cleaning your stuff up.

Other than that ... I think you got the general idea. I would suggest you don't limit yourself to these five tricks, but rather take everything you can fit into your case and just start experimenting with this and that and whatever else you got. You don't want to leave your best trick at home, so take everything and then after you try something and you know it don't work ... then you can leave it at home.

Finally, if you haven't already done so ... I can suggest you watch my "Crowd Goes Wild" lecture on street performing: http://magicjoint.com/pages/magic-shop/t......d-promo/

Hope that helps, and good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask away ... I haven't been online a lot lately, but I should have some time this week. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Hey Joe!

I've panned out the 5 card opener to be not messy at all and the reset takes less than a minute. Instead of throwing the cards away or scattering them, they go straight into my top blazer pocket. It's all well condensed.

The only trick that has a potential reset is my ring and rope. Everything else starts and ends clean.

With the exception of PB&E which is a simple case of loading the egg back into the bag to begin with and Stabbed and shot. I've been playing with a 4ft straw as the kicker instead of a shot. But the rolling of the straw takes less than a minute as well. I'm not really worried about resetting in front of passerbys.

I've knicked the idea of bill to lemon. Not reaspnable.

And since it's winter and I'm on a sidewalk I've not been able to attract a huge crowd of 10+ just because of lack of foot traffic. We just got hit by the big winter storm but tomorrow will be 60F. Guess who'll be out there! I imagine since it's the first warm day, I'm goign to take full advantage of it.

Thank you Joe for your opinions and input! Keep them coming! I don't mind bantering and brainstorming ideas
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2016, SleightlyChris wrote:
I've panned out the 5 card opener to be not messy at all and the reset takes less than a minute.

As I point out in my Crowd Goes Wild ... you have a one second window of opportunity to attract the attention of someone walking by ... one minute is a lot of lost opportunities.

Quote:
With the exception of PBE which is a simple case of loading the egg back into the bag to begin with and Stabbed and shot. I've been playing with a 4ft straw as the kicker instead of a shot. But the rolling of the straw takes less than a minute as well. I'm not really worried about resetting in front of passerbys.

Yes, resetting in front of people can be a draw ... I have to reset my cups and balls, but that is not the same as picking scattered cards up off the ground. Again, I say take it to the pitch and try it out ... you will quickly learn for yourself what works and what doesn't work, in fact ... you will learn more in an hour on the pitch than you will studying all month on the internet. Smile

Quote:
And since it's winter and I'm on a sidewalk I've not been able to attract a huge crowd of 10+ just because of lack of foot traffic. We just got hit by the big winter storm but tomorrow will be 60F. Guess who'll be out there! I imagine since it's the first warm day, I'm goign to take full advantage of it.

Go for it! You will learn more working a trickle than you will a flush simply because you will have more time to analyze and think over what happens. It is the slow days when your skill sets will improve the most. Smile

My motto has always been the same: I don't make money, I make magic! Don't try to make money, try to make magic ... if you make good magic, you will make good money - it is automatic. Smile

-JoeJoe
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Cheers Joe!

What have you found to be your successful sets in your trickle show? I'm still trying loads of stuff out, what works and doesn't.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2016, SleightlyChris wrote:
What have you found to be your successful sets in your trickle show? I'm still trying loads of stuff out, what works and doesn't.

These are the tricks I do while street performing:

vanishing silk hanky (thumb tip),
pencil through bill (mis-led),
unshuffled (my card trick),
Super Spinner (my thread dispenser),
cups and balls (three lemons, one lime).

I also carry twisting the aces, brainwave, and pen-through-bill as a "blow off" (meaning I want to get rid of a group without doing cups). I may carry a dancing cane, but only when the crowds are tight and don't want to stop.

That is what has worked for me for the last several years now.

If you are not familiar with my Super Spinner, I highly recommend it for stopping people that walk past you ..... and it is Open Source so you can watch the DVD for free via my YouTube channel:

http://magicjoint.com/pages/levitations/super-spinner/

-JoeJoe
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

Ah went out today had 3 people stop. A young guy, mid 20s delivering stuff. Older gent, a vet who knew some magic (That was fun!). and Another dude Late 20s.

First guy was genuinely interested in magic. He loved it and said "i've never seen magic in person before, only on TV". Great! Him and I had a good 10-15 minutes of just doing card tricks and a ring and rope. No one else stopped (just a bit after the lunch rush) but he was all into it. He left without tipping (or so I thought then).

next guy that came up with the vietnam vet, and I did Triumph with him then he wanted my opinion on his coin work (i am no coin guy but I can be convincing with my coin work). So him and I chatted then another fellow came up and joined the conversation and we just had a nice 10 minutes of conversation.

THEN in the middle of this, the first guy came back and tipped me a $20! Bless that guy, he was super interested in magic!

all in all 1 hour, not a bad day.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
SleightlyChris:
I've been reading your posts and am surprised you're out there working in the cold. You're a hardier person than me! If the temperature is cold then folk wont stop, and you get colder. So I work to what both the participants and myself find as decent weather.
You've mentioned low flows of folk. I asked Nick Nickolas, an experienced street performer, what to do if there is low foot traffic, hoping to find out how to get a bigger group around me. He said 'Move to a better place' Duh! You can't make more people appear on the paths. So moving to somewhere better is what needs to be done.

I busk in a pretty low-flow area usually, and end up at times chatting to folk, as you mention in your last post. Sometimes that's appropriate, but always in our minds should be the idea of getting passer's by to stop. And its harder to do if you are involved talking to someone and not flamboyantly performing magic.
JoeJoe [check out his site and his YouTube postings]has great advice and reckons to perform magic once you are on your pitch - be a performer seen to be performing - rather than waiting for people to stop before you start performing.
Movement, colour, noise, breaking the ceiling - street performing with magic is challenging.
The presentation makes the magic.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, MagiCol wrote:
You've mentioned low flows of folk. I asked Nick Nickolas, an experienced street performer, what to do if there is low foot traffic, hoping to find out how to get a bigger group around me. He said 'Move to a better place' Duh! You can't make more people appear on the paths. So moving to somewhere better is what needs to be done.

Sometimes there is no better spot ... that doesn't mean you can't get paid. I've always preferred to practice on the boardwalk where I might get someone to stop and watch than to practice at home in the mirror where I know for sure nobody will stop.

I find the same thing Chris found - that the few people that do stop usually tip rather well compared to what a person would tip in a larger group. I will guesstimate that in an hours time on a slow day, I will spend maybe ten or fifteen minutes actually performing for people ... and can still make ten to twenty dollars an hour (which is more than Wal-mart would pay me, so I'm good with that. Of course there are days when I make zero, so I've learned to to take the good with the bad.

In this particular clip, I went out on a slow day with the sole mindset of filming my cup loads from all sides so I could go home and see them from every angle. I fully expected to make no money what-so-ever, it was way earlier than I usually work and very hot ... my pace is rather fast because people didn't want to stay long (you can even hear a little girl want to stop and dad tell her no) ... yet ... I still pulled a tip, I consider that "found money".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIMbYm_ez1Q

At some point you just have to ask yourself ... is this a "real job"?? I consider myself a "worker" and workers work.

-JoeJoe
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
368 Posts

My spot is pretty good. But the traffic is essentially due to the weather and time of day. I don't have enough in me to busk in weather less than 55f.

I also respectfully disagree though, I've found that people will stop if they are a. Curious, or b. They like you. I come from a hospitality background and I can always talk and get people to like me through conversation. It's how you do not what you do right.

I don't find it necessary to do a full show for one person who is genuinely interested, it may seem scripted to them (though it may be!) the particular magic I love to do is similar to improv. Starting out and going from there. It's fun to try to find outs in stuff I do.

But I agree with you when there is a semi steady stream of traffic.. To get people to stop as often as you can absolutely. I just don't have that luxury in the winter Haha.

Thank you all for your advice and support everyone! Your help has helped me transition to this fairly easily! The hardest part was just getting out there the first time.

I make my move to Melbourne Australia for a year next week and I'll be able to continue this adventure then!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First Time Busker (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL