The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Wedding Gig (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mrg1974
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Mrg1974
Hello,

I've been booked to do a wedding (In the UK) in June. It's primarily a walk around gig with no table magic, for the period between the ceremony and the sit down meal, so people will be hanging around waiting for photos to be taken.

I've absolute confidence in my ability to "do" cards, and I'm planning on the following tricks making an appearance at some point or another (in likely order of appearance):

1. Biddle trick
2. Invisible deck (my closer)
3. 2 card monte - swap the red and black aces in the spectators hands (I'm not sure if that's what its called)
4. Blank deck
5. Ambitious card
6. Twisting the aces

I am learning Richard Saunders Extreme Burn 2.0, Garrett Thomas' Three Card Monte (possibly not for the wedding) frantically rehearsing up a coin routine that plays quite well and doing the same for a sponge ball routine.

I will learn anniversary waltz for the bride and groom.

My question is, how many sets should I have to hand, I could relatively easily do two hours of pure card magic, but I'm aware that might not play too well, because some people aren't hugely keen on them.

I'd heard three sets of three tricks to rotate through with another set in reserve if you've burned through them all, does that sound sufficient? If so are there any other effects that are relatively easy to learn (I have 6 months) which are very visual and recommended.

Thanks
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Putting aside the fact that you really shouldn't have accepted the gig if you weren't ready.. heres a set for you:

-Extreme Burn
-Invisible Deck
-Sponge Balls (learn bunnies instead)
-Biddle Trick (and use the selection leading into...)
-Ambitious Card (throw in an omni deck for the ending or a card to wallet)

That set should be enough to last you the wedding. You will find at most gigs you end up doing the same tricks again and again. If you want, learn Waltzing Cheek to Cheek for the bride and groom (which combines a triumph effect along with the anniversary waltz fusion)

I wouldn't bother with the blank deck so you don't have as much to carry. Save Stand Up Monte for people who want to see more magic but doubt you'll need it.

In the meantime learn
-Crazy Mans Handcuffs
-5 to 10 Bill Transpo
-Maybe a Sharpie Card Revelation (ala Richard Sanders Remarkable)
Chano
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Chano
I would definitely advise against "frantically learning" anything. It puts too much pressure on you, and will likely lead to nerves at the performance. Stick to a solid base of stuff you know you can perform well, and polish the patter so it's unique to you. I understand the need to bring something new and exciting to the show, but your take on the effects you know will be new to the audience. They may or may not have seen a card trick before, but they've never seen YOUR version. Hope that helps.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I think that if you do you're best magic with cards, you should just do that. People like card tricks despite the myths that say otherwise. In fact I have friends that sigh when I try to do a non-card trick for them.
Reality is a real killjoy.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
If you haven't seen Kozmo has the Anniversary Waltz Project for free. Doc Eason and Andy Garrett explain how they do the routine. Great stuff.

Also, as an alternative look at Axel Hecklau's Twisted and Fusion routines. Sort of like Anniversary Waltz meets Torn and Restored card.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
June is plenty of time to learn at least one non-card trick.

I love cards but there ARE some people who just don't respond to them. Why not try one or two non card bits and see if you open up a new interest in yourself?

CMH and Gypsy Thread (set up on your business card) are both easy to learn and impressive. Having something other than cards can be an easy way to ring in another deck.

Three sets are all I really need most places.

-Mary Mowder
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Besides Anniversary waltz and waltzing cheek to cheek (both great by the way) look into Jon Allen's "Wedding Trick" from his book "Experience" from Vanishing Inc or his DVD set "Connection" http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3349
It is on the trailer from approx 1:01 to 1:39 it is better (or at least as good as) Anniversary Waltz in my opinion. Easy to perform and also a great give away for the bride and groom.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Six tricks is enough. That's enough of to visit each group twice. But since you have a while before the gig ... I'd add a sponge ball rt to your walk around act. Very little pocket space everyone loves them. Don't spend too much time researching it, pick a simple rt learn it and perform it a bunch. As long as you make one appear in the hand of a spectator, they'll love it.

I wouldn't perform the invisible deck walk around, but I would take it. Sometimes at these gigs you may be asked to do a few minutes for the whole room and the invisible deck would work great. Add a cut and restored rope and an egg bag and you have a very nice 10-12 minute set that can play for a large crowd.

Good luck and have fun!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Something else you need to think about is how are people going to know your there as entertainment?

How are you going to approach people?

If its the first time you have done anything like this for strangers you will walk in to the event they will all be chatting and this questions will shoot with panic in your mind.

But solutions are simple just give it some thought or search here for the answer.

Chamberlain has layed out a good set. But to put my two pence worth I would do,
-Extreme burn,
-Biddle trick, (Let the volunteer keep hold of there card),
-Sponge bunnies,
-ACR with four phases ending with omni deck. (use the card from the Biddle trick)

This would be the only set I would carry and if people want more do few extra card tricks and as Mary says Crazy Man Handcuffs and I would add Stargazer by Alan Wong.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
I did a wedding party over the New year's weekend. I strolled for 2 hours. And this is all I did
rubber band routine
Hopping half into Samoya
turbostick
Sponge Balls
Red Hot Mama and CTW.
Mini chop cup (but never used it)

It was plenty.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I would vary things a little bit and have a little less card work (but cards are fine!)..
My alternatives are (many have already been mentioned) in no particular order: Sponges, bill switch or extreme burn (I know you've mentioned the latter yourself), turbo stick. Holy moley is another good option (can do it with coins if you don't want to use washers - just get holes drilled into them. The ethical thing to do first of course is BUY the effect, it's what I did even though I had no intention of using washers).

A good strolling coin trick I do utilise is 'Questionable Trick' by Greg Wilson which I have done quite often. Another coin option for strolling which I have only recently started doing and I am quite liking is Lethal Tender. I own 'Bag for Life' but haven't worked on it much - not sure if in a strolling situation how difficult keeping the gaffe from being exposed is. Probably would be ok. I'd prefer to use it at tables though and use either of the others listed above instead. CMH is another good option as others have said.

Good luck!
mrsmiles
(UK)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sounds to me like you are going to do just fine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Don't worry to much over this. If you can learn sponge bunnies and maybe a coin routine. Also 5 to 1 transpo is easy and peoplease seem to really like it
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

If it's possible learn a ring flight.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Most weddings are family affairs with kids present. I always perform sponge balls at weddings.
I also carry some magical giveaways so that after I've shown kids a few tricks, I give them the item which then keeps them busy for a while. This allows me to perform for all the guests rather than just getting swamped by the kids (when taking a booking, I always make it clear that I'm a family entertainer, not a kids entertainer).

Other tricks I would consider are card to wallet or Einhorn's nest of wallets - an item to impossible location always goes down well.

People at weddings are generally the best crowds you can work for. I make an effort to touch base with the photographer and toastmaster/event planner to ensure that I help the day go smoothly, rather than holding it up. Get more than one group involved so you help to get people talking.

Good luck
Charlie
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I don't do sets, but, back to the rest of the topic; since you have until June...

You are looking for sponge and coin magic... I also recommend sponge bunnies. Highly. Buy two sets to make your final load bigger. Sponge bunnies are something funny to use. All your card practice will seem pointless when they squeal and talk endlessly about the bunnies. Smile

Another thing to consider would be a copper silver brass set. Johnson makes a good one. It's about 80 bucks, American, but has been worth every penny to me over the years.

This way you have cards, coins and something else.

If you decide to get a copper silver brass set PM me and I'll share some of my thought on it with you.

Another good thing is these are easy reset. C/S/B is instant and bunnies is very easy.

Tell us what you choose and how it goes!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
From my experience working weddings, I can tell you:
1.) Depending on the size of the wedding, the cocktail hour usually lasts about 1 hr (in the US), and typically there are 120-150 guests at a wedding.
So the most time you'll spend with a particular group of 5-10 people is precisely that, 5-10 mins. So plan your set accordingly
2.) Try to vary your magic. You don't want to be doing a whole hour of just card magic. Other people will notice you from across the room, you want people to think you have more than just card magic.
3.) Choose magic that has potential to use multiple participants. In your case, invisible card will do. You can ask the best man to think of a suit, then the bridesmaid to think of a high/low card, then the co-worker of the groom to decide on the value, and you end with the climax - THIS, this is exactly why they hire you to perform at the cocktail hour:
You are not only there to enliven the atmosphere, but you are there to be the ice-breaker and connect family/friends from different sides of the family.

Most guests tend to stick with their circle of people (ex. groom's side's family will stick with their own family, bride's sides' co-workers have never met the groom's side's family so they ALMOST never interact, etc...). If you are able to actively engaging people from different sides of the families in your magic, you have just became THAT much more valuable to the bride & groom. Here's how I do it and it worked for years:
1.) You do your amazing magic, the group you're with will create a roar of laughter
2.) The group adjacent to yours will be interested in what's this all about
3.) Open your circle (body language), invite them to join you and immediately INTRODUCE the people you've been performing for to this new group
4.) Ask this new group how do you know the wedding party, be engaging.
5.) Do a trick that involves a person from this new group, and someone from the old group
6.) All the while try to remember their names and refer to them by their names as much as possible, that way you are helping them get to know and remember each other's names.
7.) move on to the next group, let these two new groups of friends chat among themselves

Hope this helps Smile
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

That is a really cool way of approaching a wedsing. I've never thought about it like that.
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
I just posted this in another wedding post so I'm going to do here as well because I think this is a killer idea:

I just saw on propdog's web sight the coolest idea for a bride and groom. You can get an omni deck specially engraved with the bride and grooms names, date, etc. this would be the ultimate giveaway that they would probably keep for ever right next to the cake service in a display case. Yeah it might be a little extra expense but what a touch of class that they would talk about for a very long long time.
Just imagine them holding hands and the deck changing to crystal between them. Ooh if this doesn't get you recommended to all their friends what will. Plus the patter option that could be made with cards changing places and how there's magic between them. I guess I know what I'll be using.

If your thinking about doing the omni deck get an extra and blow the bride, groom, and their family away.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

That's brilliant of not to expensive
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Wedding Gig (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL