The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card trimming Device (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
heldergdias
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of heldergdias
Hello Guys.

At this moment, iam researching for Card trimming devices which are able to create gimmicked decks (such as stripper decks, n-strippers and others).

I would like to know alternatives which are avaliable to purchase at this moment (besides Joe Porper, its too expensive for me =)).

Also corner rounder jigs will also help.

Thanks

helder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry to report they are all in the $500 and higher range.

If you don't mind free, go to http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html scroll down the page and download the PDF file, "Making an Inexpensive Card Trimmer", then make it, and it works.

You can check out gambling cheat devices, but they are as I said, all very expensive.
heldergdias
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of heldergdias
Hi bill, thanks for your help.

I can pay more or less the range of prices that this site has http://www.theperfectshuffle.com/ (around 500 USD).

Just need to check if there are other options on the market.

Iam contacting Auke van Dokkum about his stripping plate. Anybody has information about the jig and himself?

Thanks

Hélder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Auke Van Dokkum is/was the premier metal craftsman and magic prop maker in the Netherlands. His reputation is unquestioned. As far as he making anything now, I got the impression that he retired. His website is down, and only a few small items were sold though Stevens Magic. His website now directs you to his Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/auke.vandokkum

I never seen a stripping plate on his website, mostly Linking Rings, Cups for Cups and Ball, special coin tricks, etc. If he had a different website, I never knew about it.

There are small one unit card trimmers, dating back to as old is gambling, I remember them being shown here on the Café and other magic websites. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly. All trimmers I have seen, you have to do one card at a time.

Take a look at these: http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/Card/Trimmer.html

What I referenced previously: http://jamesriser.com/Magic/CardTrimmers......ser.html

Good luck in your search.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
SEO Magic has a corner trimmer with a DVD and not too expensive, I bought it a month ago ~$30. Gets the job done.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
There are many arts and craft stores around.
I bought my corner rounder at Michaels for under $10.
You can also try AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, etc.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Here's the link for the corner Rounder at Michael's Arts & Crafts store.
$7.99

http://www.michaels.com/search?q=corner%20rounder

Make sure you get the right size.
I forgot which size I have since I bought it years ago but it's the right size for Bicycle poker size cards.
Ihor
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I must "go" with Bill Hegbli on this one.

The only trimmers (to make strippers, etc., that I've actually seen (and held in my hands) were Jay Marshall's.

Jay had worked for Stuart Robson (dealer in NYC in the '40s. Jay worked in the back room, trimming strippers, etc.

I've pitched "SEVEN GALIS" (Eddie Fields term) on fair grounds, but, I've never made my own.

The late ROY KISSELL had a great story in the LINKING RING, back in the '70s. He described his dad pitching Svengalis on fair grounds, and, how dad got his decks for nothing, or almost nothing! (and, got the instructions printed free, also!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There was a time when I wanted to make those "SEVEN GALIS" (Ha!). I found something that probably doesn't exist these days... a mom & pop print shop. Because I regularly gave them my business, I knew them well enough to ask for use of their very large guillotine paper cutter. Once I set the size jig, it cut through an entire deck like a hot knife through butter. Just the weight of the blade was enough to send all those very narrow pieces flying like crazy. Very dangerous device in the wrong hands, but boy did it even make beautiful cuts. The trim was fine enough that corner rounding was not even necessary.

These days, I have made stripped cards using a regular office guillotine cutter that I have here at home. I made a stop jig set to at the proper angle and anchored it to the bed at the proper width. I only cut one card at a time, but if you only need to make a few cards (or even just a few decks) it works well enough.

I would love to see the die(s) used to cut belly strippers.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
heldergdias
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of heldergdias
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Auke Van Dokkum is/was the premier metal craftsman and magic prop maker in the Netherlands. His reputation is unquestioned. As far as he making anything now, I got the impression that he retired. His website is down, and only a few small items were sold though Stevens Magic. His website now directs you to his Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/auke.vandokkum

I never seen a stripping plate on his website, mostly Linking Rings, Cups for Cups and Ball, special coin tricks, etc. If he had a different website, I never knew about it.

There are small one unit card trimmers, dating back to as old is gambling, I remember them being shown here on the Café and other magic websites. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly. All trimmers I have seen, you have to do one card at a time.

What I referenced previously: http://jamesriser.com/Magic/CardTrimmers......ser.html

The Jig from Auke is Based on Sanding, but iam not quite sure if its effective or not. I have seen the Jig from Eoin and I liked it very much.

To others, please keep the messages rolling.

Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is nothing more to tell, you have to search for what you desire. Check used magic websites, auctions, and when you get 50 posts you can place a request in the Let's Make a Deal section of the Café. Also check out cheating at gambling websites. $500 was what they cost about 8 to 10 years ago, I am use do to inflation, they will be much higher today, and every month you wait, the price will be going up.
heldergdias
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of heldergdias
Hi Bill.

Still searching. Thanks for your help.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Did you post what you are looking for in the Gaffed and Funky topic. That is where guys who use gimmicked playing cards hang out.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Card Trimmer, good ones with micro adjustments which are needed, are not cheap. They can run $2000 +. Some are guillotine style while others are large scissors. Jim Riser's plans are the best alternative out there.

Craft stores have the corner rounders but that is not the same a making a stripper or Svengali deck.

Dick, I just saw the trimmer of Jay's again Tuesday in the collection where it now resides. It was a Will and Fink trimmer with micro adjustments. It was big bucks when it sold. Will and Fink is among the most desirable and expensive gambling items to collectors. They made some great straight and crooked stuff.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, hugmagic wrote:
Card Trimmer, good ones with micro adjustments which are needed, are not cheap. They can run $2000 +. Some are guillotine style while others are large scissors. Jim Riser's plans are the best alternative out there.

Craft stores have the corner rounders but that is not the same a making a stripper or Svengali deck.

Dick, I just saw the trimmer of Jay's again Tuesday in the collection where it now resides. It was a Will and Fink trimmer with micro adjustments. It was big bucks when it sold. Will and Fink is among the most desirable and expensive gambling items to collectors. They made some great straight and crooked stuff.

Richard

Richard,
You are absolutely correct that corner rounders are not the same as making a stripper or Svengali deck.
But after you short a card using a trimmer, you do have to round the corner.
You really need both, a trimmer and a corner rounder.
Ihor
heldergdias
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of heldergdias
Hi guys.

I do have plans to purchase Stripper Jig by Eoin O'Hare . Somebody has any experience in how easy is to round the corners after stripping?

Thanks

Hélder
darksage
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of darksage
Eion is a fine gentleman to deal with and offers a fine product that is easy to use and very precise. The corners are easy to round with a corner cutter and perhaps a little sanding with a nail file.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Richard! for the info, on Jay's trimmer~!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Uncle Teddy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Uncle Teddy
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this topic, these links in particular with the photos of the trimming machines are fascinating. Thanks for posting them Bill Smile
heldergdias
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of heldergdias
Hi guys.

Somebody know if its still possible to get hold on a Line-Lo Machine? It does seem that they are not being produced anymore.

Thanks a bunch Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card trimming Device (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL