The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting statistic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I live in the only state in the entire Union where the police did not kill anyone in 2015.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/......ory.html

I don't know whether to be proud or sad.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20048 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Context?

Were the people killed by cops all innocent little lambs sitting on the porch?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Context?

Were the people killed by cops all innocent little lambs sitting on the porch? Come on Tony that is just a little bit intellectually dishonest and you know it.


I agree with Danny on this. Even the guy in the article who was shot for not dropping his cell phone (because they couldn't tell what it was, he refused to drop it and he refused to stop advancing on the police) was still a suspect wanted for violent armed offenses. But I have to imagine there were people arrested in RI who didn't follow the rules (bad guys generally don't) and RI cops managed to take them down without killing them.

I have to wonder if this focus on non-lethal methods might be a result of the death of Sgt. Cornel Young Jr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornel_Young_Jr.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
While I, too, would say, "be proud", the article is sobering in more ways than one. If there is indeed a serious problem with cops pulling the trigger too easily, it has the counterweight of the strange phenomenon of young men who ignore the commands of policemen. Why so? If a cop says, "put your hands up!", I put my hands up. I agree that not putting your hands up shouldn't get you shot. But why not put your hands up?

The article refers to "suicide by cops". Weird and hard to understand.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

I'm sure my buddy could have shot the kid in the back as he fled. Would have saved his life.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

I'm sure my buddy could have shot the kid in the back as he fled. Would have saved his life.


Couldn't find anything to corroborate your story.

Maybe you could provide proof?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20048 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is not the job of the state to shoot people in the back. I have not personally met a cop with this desire.

The FACT is that breaking into cars (Which Slim uses the term Jocky Boxing to raise his already strained credibility.) is NOT a capital crime. (Nor certain if it is A or O but I am going with A.) So the very idea that a cop would shoot a guy for breaking into a car is idiotic at best.

Sorry for your loss Slim but officer safety comes into play. Did he have back up? Did he round the corner too fast, and so forth. ANY cop who thinks he should be able to shoot a fleeing suspect in 5he back for breaking into cars should not be a cop.

I am sure you will now g8ve us 100 "facts" that you didn't before and make up as many as you ne3d to in order to push your point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
817 Posts

Profile of acesover
This is sort of a catch 22. If the cop shot the kid , the cop is a bad cop. However he did not so he is a good cop who got killed instead. Which is better? Is it better to have a dead kid with a gun who is obviously a criminal or a good cop who is now dead? Or a supposedly bad cop still alive and a dead kid who has a gun and is a criminal. The kid will probably get off because he is a juvenile but the good cop will still be dead.

The system is not perfect, it just demands perfection.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

I'm sure my buddy could have shot the kid in the back as he fled. Would have saved his life.


Maybe, but if you shoot someone in the back as they're running away, you don't get to claim self defense.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20048 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

I'm sure my buddy could have shot the kid in the back as he fled. Would have saved his life.


Maybe, but if you shoot someone in the back as they're running away, you don't get to claim self defense.


This does seem fairly clear to me yes.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

You said he worked for the police force. Was he actually a police officer?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

You said he worked for the police force. Was he actually a police officer?


Perhaps Slim can provide a link about this incident. It would help to understand the situation better.

I can't find any.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

You said he worked for the police force. Was he actually a police officer?


Apparently it was this sad situation-

http://www.odmp.org/officer/21933-deputy......ott-pine

Still, to shoot someone in the back to prevent something they might do, seems like of those things where you can never draw a line.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is not the job of the state to shoot people in the back. I have not personally met a cop with this desire.

The FACT is that breaking into cars (Which Slim uses the term Jocky Boxing to raise his already strained credibility.) is NOT a capital crime. (Nor certain if it is A or O but I am going with A.) So the very idea that a cop would shoot a guy for breaking into a car is idiotic at best.

Sorry for your loss Slim but officer safety comes into play. Did he have back up? Did he round the corner too fast, and so forth. ANY cop who thinks he should be able to shoot a fleeing suspect in 5he back for breaking into cars should not be a cop.

I am sure you will now g8ve us 100 "facts" that you didn't before and make up as many as you ne3d to in order to push your point.

I lost a good friend Danny ...... I hope I get to meet you face to face so we can discuss this....
I certainly never said he should have shot the kid, and the fact that he didn't shoot the kid means he wouldn't have shot the kid .. so why are you slagging my dead friend?

We did a fund raiser for the family. It's a horrible situation. It certainly wasn't his fault. He didn't deserve this and he certainly doesn't deserve Danny Doyle second guessing the actions of someone who gave their life in the service of their community. Just wondering how low you guys can go.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2016, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is not the job of the state to shoot people in the back. I have not personally met a cop with this desire.

The FACT is that breaking into cars (Which Slim uses the term Jocky Boxing to raise his already strained credibility.) is NOT a capital crime. (Nor certain if it is A or O but I am going with A.) So the very idea that a cop would shoot a guy for breaking into a car is idiotic at best.

Sorry for your loss Slim but officer safety comes into play. Did he have back up? Did he round the corner too fast, and so forth. ANY cop who thinks he should be able to shoot a fleeing suspect in 5he back for breaking into cars should not be a cop.

I am sure you will now g8ve us 100 "facts" that you didn't before and make up as many as you ne3d to in order to push your point.

I lost a good friend Danny ...... I hope I get to meet you face to face so we can discuss this....
I certainly never said he should have shot the kid, and the fact that he didn't shoot the kid means he wouldn't have shot the kid .. so why are you slagging my dead friend?

We did a fund raiser for the family. It's a horrible situation. It certainly wasn't his fault. He didn't deserve this and he certainly doesn't deserve Danny Doyle second guessing the actions of someone who gave their life in the service of their community. Just wondering how low you guys can go.


YOU bring your friend into this, and then YOU propose the hypothetical of "should my friend have committed murder?", and now you play the pity card?

Don't worry about how low anyone else can go Slim. No one can beat you since you have already won every race, to every possible bottom.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20048 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You bring up your friend and imply he should have shot a kid in the back and I an the problem? Are you threatening me Slim?

Yes you have sunk to a new low.

I doubt you will even be banned for threatening me. Somehow you walk between the raindrops online.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

You said he worked for the police force. Was he actually a police officer?


Perhaps Slim can provide a link about this incident. It would help to understand the situation better.

Slim is usually so good with links. Given that Slim REFUSES to answer my question and REFUSES to post a supporting link as you requested, I think we can safely assume it is all in his head.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20048 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2016, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Slim King wrote:
A family friend who worked for the police force was murdered last year. He was chasing a kid who was Jocky Boxing cars. The punk ran around a building and as my friend rounded the corner the kid shot him under the arm just above the vest. He died almost instantly. They later found the kid dead of apparent suicide. I didn't even ask.

You said he worked for the police force. Was he actually a police officer?


Perhaps Slim can provide a link about this incident. It would help to understand the situation better.

Slim is usually so good with links. Given that Slim REFUSES to answer my question and REFUSES to post a supporting link as you requested, I think we can safely assume it is all in his head.


Oh careful, he may threaten you as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Http://www.odmp.org/officer/21933-deputy......ott-pine

This seems to fit the circumstances.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sorry for your loss Slim.

Not a good time to be a policeman for sure.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting statistic (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL