The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Oscars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
So what does everybody think about the winners and losers?

I personally think Charlize Theron deserved the award she got as her performance in "Monster" is groundbreaking.

I liked "Return of the King" but 11 Oscars? It's not THAT good. Best director? Yes. Best picture? No.
Sent from my Typewriter
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I did an interview with Melanie Coombs and Adam Elliott, the couple who put together 'Harvey Krumpet' the week before the Oscars (Adam had a local tv station donate him the suit he wore to the awards ceremony as he couldn't afford one himself). It's good to see that the awards still go to the best in many cases, rather than to the best marketed. A film made in a shed in Melbourne beating Disney and Pixar.

I don't know how anyone will get to see the film, but if you get a chance make sure you do. It's one of the nicest films I've seen in a long time.

David.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
All I cared about was LOTR winning best picture. I think 11 Oscars is a bit rediculous, but remember, Titanic did the same thing, and that movie sucked.

I wasn't able to watch it on TV (was actually driving home from Hollywood that night).

Chris
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I didn´t even remember Titanic had 11 awards as well. It did deserve a few of them, like visual effects (just like LOTR).

I liked the Oscar show in general. (Too bad Robin Williams wasn´t hosting). The only bad thing being was it started here at 3:30 am and ended roughly at 7:20 am. My day at the office starts at 7:45 so I was forced to head for work with New Zealand freshly on my mind. I nodded off only a few times.
Sent from my Typewriter
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Whew! No sleep = no fun!

I understand that!

Chris
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I think that those voting in the Academy were taking into consideration all 3 LOTR films. I think this was their way of patting Peter Jackson on the back for the entire work.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
I would have liked to see Lost In Translation win an Oscar. Best actor, best picture, director, or screenplay. Anything! It was a great movie.

P.S.: Quote, "Whew! No sleep = no fun!"

Sleep is highly overrated. Smile
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Lost in Translation did win for Screenplay Jordan. I felt like Bill Murray was robbed since Sean Penn didn't do anything besides play himself a little upset in Mystic River.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
Thanks for correcting me, Samuel. Smile
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
"I think that those voting in the Academy were taking into consideration all 3 LOTR films. I think this was their way of patting Peter Jackson on the back for the entire work."

Exactly. I am surprised he didn't go postal after getting only 11.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Well, I have to put my two cents in as a New Zealander (one of the few not thanked on Oscar night!!).

Personally I think Peter deserved 11 Oscars. He did a great job of the movies, with LOTR 3 being the best of the three. I think you are right in saying they were judging him on all three movies, but it kind of needed to be that way, as they just don't make sense by themselves.

Big congratulations to Peter Jackson!

Oh yeah, and it's the only movie to ever win all the Oscars it was nominated for!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Chris, are you sure you weren´t thanked? I thought they ran out of New Zealanders to thank.

Still I am very happy for Peter Jackson, he has done an amazing job with LOTR, which basically is one long movie divided into three parts. Phenomenal work in all and a real pleasure to watch.
Sent from my Typewriter
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
"Chris, you sure you weren´t thanked? I thought they ran out of New Zealanders to thank. "

I wasnt personally thanked, but I think just about everyone in NZ knows someone who was involved somehow in the movies! I know a couple of 'Hobbits' and an Orc or two!

For our wee country (only 4 million of us) it was a huge thing to have in our backyard!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I also would have liked to have seen Bill Murray win. But Sean Penn was a good choice too. And I'm glad Sofia Coppolla got an Oscar. "Lost In Translation" was probably my favorite of the nominated films this year in terms of direction, writing, and acting (and karaoke). I'm very happy Charlize Theron won. I recently saw "Monster" and was blown away by both the film and her. What made me happiest, though, was seeing Errol Morris FINALLY recognized for his documentary work. It was long over-due. As for LOTR, I'm not the biggest fan of the movies, but I appreciate the work that went into them and am glad Jackson got his 'props'.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I was very disappointed that Capturing the Friedman’s didn't win the Oscar for Best Feature Documentary. Of course, it was the only one of the ones nominated that I actually watched. It was also the first time I personally knew someone whose movie was up for an Oscar.

I was also rooting for Pirates of the Caribbean to win something, but as the night progressed, it was obvious that anyone going up against LOTR might as well hang it up. I was happy to see Renee Zellweger win her Oscar. I didn't see her in Cold Mountain, but other movies I've seen her in, she is a talented actor. I did like the tribute to Katherine Hepburn. They could not have picked anyone classier than Julia Roberts to make the tribute.

This was the first night I watched the Oscars in its entirety. I usually only watch the last few awards to catch Best Picture.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Oscars (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL