The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Very Best Of Slydini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
In my search for video reference material on Slydini, I came across an extremely good deal on the two volume book set, "Best of Slydinin and More". While it is not a video or DVD, it looks to be, and has been reported to be by a few of my buddies, a fantastic learning tool. The first volume is all text, and incompasses coins, cards, silks, etc. The second volume is all photos. I found the set on the The Magicwarehouse site for under $50, which I think is pretty reasonable. I pasted the link below for any interested parties.

Cheers,

http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/bookscl1.html
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I haven't got these books so I'll have to be carefull.
I think these are an old publication.
The up-to-date Slydini is "Annotated magic of Slydini ", an updated version of a Ganson publication, with Slydini's own corrections.

I'm sure someone ( Peter ) will have the exact information, but don't buy a lesser book because its cheaper .
Eddie
Shafique
View Profile
New user
London
57 Posts

Profile of Shafique
Annotated Magic of Slydini is an updated version of "Magic of Slydini" by Lewis Ganson.

The two volume Best of Slydini set is a separate publication.

Cheers,
Shafique
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27116 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The Tannen's two volume set was a good idea. Need lots of room on your desk/table to have both volumes open. Since Tony is gone... might be worth the effort for the serious student.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
I'd have to agree with Mr. Townsend.

When these volumes came out it was an unprecedented idea.
I remember pre-ordering them from Tony Spina at Tannens and could not wait for them to arrive.

There is absolute gold in there and I'm sure you will enjoy them for quite a while.
It is kind of an 'older' way to study but much more tactile and I think more satisfying.
Besides there is not much video on Slydini as I'm sure you well know.

Anyway you will enjoy and learn from them.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I lieu of video material, my feeling is that an entire volume devoted to images will really help put the text into a better perspective. I am, as most of us probably are, a more visual person. I have no trouble pondering over the written word, but a balanced mix of sensory stimulation is the best way to get the most out of learning.

Kind regards to all of you for your key ins.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To my knowledge there are not any video of Slydini teaching. He did make 2 or 3 appearances on some shows in the 60's and 70's. Pre-home video tape machines. I am sure there is someone with such recording, but it is all 'underground' and if you are lucky enough to get a copy. You are blessed.

They may be discovered one day in an old building and someone will produce, but I think we will not be around to enjoy.

There was a big scandel with Tannen's producing those books. They had a recall as Slydini did not want something published in the 1st run that Tannen put in any way. Then they exchanged them with the re-written material. I know a few magicians who did not return their books and kept the originals. Now more valuable because of this. I cannot recall the item in question, I just remember it really got thing excited at the time.

Some people have expressed I was attaching Tony Spina, I only mentioned it as historical interest.

Sorry if you misread my intention.

Oh yes, there is no underground in magic.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
There is no underground in magic.

Then where all all the dead magicians buried?

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27116 Posts

1) They are not really dead
2) No comment
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Hey... Jonathan took my come back. That was a perfect set up too. Smile

I searched high and low today, scoured the Internet, and came up empty pertaining to Slydini video. But, it's a big world, and I have time. I'll have my books tomorrow, so they'll will act as placebos until I find some video material.

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of Tom G
A story I got from Hans Zahn from Videonics years ago that Slydini did make teaching tapes for a wealthy French producer who doesn't intend to release them. I did visit Tony a number of times in the nursing home and asked him and he claims he did make tapes, but he may have been confused with his Dick Cavett appearances as making tapes.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I know the gentleman in France that made the tapes. Hmmmm... perhaps I can contact him and see what his plan, if any, might be.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27116 Posts

Thanks Pete, like the Kaps videos, these will be important to folks.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On 2004-03-03 13:50, wmhegbli wrote:

There was a big scandel with Tannen's producing those books. They had a recall as Slydini did not want something published in the 1st run that Tannen put in any way. Then they exchanged them with the re-written material. I know a few magicians who did not return their books and kept the originals. Now more valuable because of this. I cannot recall the item in question, I just remember it really got thing excited at the time.

Actually, the book was recalled, not because of any issues over the content, but because of the original title, "The Magic of Slydini and More". Supreme publishing held the copyright to a previously released Slydini book entitled "The Magic of Slydini" and they did not want Tannen's to use that phrase in the title of their book. Tannen's was forced to change the title to "The Best of Slydini and More".

Like Vincent, I also took advantage of a pre-publication offer from Tony Spina. Those who did, received a copy of the book with it's original title, "The Magic of Slydini and More", which is now a collectors item, selling for as much as $200.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I purchased the Ganson books from Tannen's years ago,and miss them like my right arm.

I would reccomend them without the slightest reservation to ANY serious student of the art of magic.

Slydini was the UNDISPUTED master of natural misdirection.

Some of the wonderful routines I learned from the books were: The Slydini sponge ball and purse frame rouyine, the Slydini one coin routine and the Slydini coins through the table.

There was the Slydini paper balls in the box, the cigarette production, the torn and restored cigarette, (Which Doug Henning performed flawlessly on one of his specials, by the way)

There was explanations of the imp pass, lapping, and misdirection wisdom. And the list goes on and on.

Whoever said there is gold between them covers was making an under statement! There was gold, diamonds , rubys, emeralds, ......

Some one mentioned Slydini in a nursing home. That picture in my mind is one that makes me sad and tickled at the same time.

Sad, because the picture of Slydini confined to a bed is degrading to the master.

Tickled, because I can just imagine what those nurses were in for if Slydini showed them his astonishing magic!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Daffy,
Slidini wasn't confined to a bed, he could get around.
And most of all he still had those incredibly expressive eys and that great smile. I had asked if he did any close-up for people. He said "look around, would these people know if coins changed from copper to silver or went through a table?" Still had the sense of humor, too. He did do a stand up routine once a month, they had nice posters made up and everything. He did ropes, rings, etc.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I just read The Annotated Slydini. It is a book that has everything you want. Oh btw it is annotated by Gene Matzuura who also co-wrote Tommy Wonder Entertains.
A must read and half the table-space Jonathan mentioned;-)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Tom G.

Your'e reply to my post makes me feel much better! Thankyou for clearing that up!

I realize he couldn't perform magic for the residents, but I was thinking along the lines of him performing a thing or two for the nurses!
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Quote:
On 2004-03-03 23:01, daffydoug wrote:

Slydini was the UNDISPUTED master of natural misdirection.

Some of the wonderful routines I learned from the books were: The Slydini sponge ball and purse frame rouyine, the Slydini one coin routine and the Slydini coins through the table.

I learned the Slydini 1 coin routine a long time ago, not by reading or seeing Slydini, another magician had it included in an instructional video. That was like 20 years ago, and I can't even remember whose tape it was now, wow.

Anyway, it was probably one of the first non-gimmicked coin effects that I learned. And the funny thing is, I still do it for people from time to time, and it hasn't lost anything for me or for my spectators. Even with all of the other effects that I've learned, complex vanishes and transpos, and all the complex series of moves I use, I still think the simplistic nature of that one routine from Slydini, that I picked up as a kid, is one of my most powerful and popular effect. Not only is the routine nice, but the inherent misdirection that I learned in order to do that effect has carried through, and is applied to all of my magic.

If I had a dime for everytime someone has said, "Hey, ya know that thing you do where the coin vanishes, and your hand is empty, and then the coin comes back? You gotta do that for this guy over here...", I'd have a lot of dimes my friends.

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What a great story! It just goes to prove the genius of Slydini. It shows his deep understanding of human psychology, and his further understanding of how the mind works.

All of his routines incorporated strong psychological principals.

His misdirection was exactly that. Perfect misdirection, once again incorporating those psychological principles.

His misdirection , when properly employed, was impossible to detect. Spectators, magicians and laymen alike were equally fooled. Even if you know how he did it, it STILL fooled you!

I don't do much table sitting down work nowadays, but I still apply things I learned from Slydini.

His principals of timing and other elements are universal.

He was the MASTER!

Your story of the one coin routine reminds me of similar experiences I've had using Slydini's methods to make peoples belonginfgs, such as their cigarrete lighter vanish.

Of all the tricks I did in an informal setting, I would ALWAYS be asked "Hey Doug, make so and so's lighter dissapear!" They never got tired of it!

Thanks for sharing your story and sparking memories for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Very Best Of Slydini (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL