The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Very Best Of Slydini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
You're welcome.

I just received the "The Best of Slydini & More" book set. I'm very impressed with its look and feel, and with the layout of material. I truly can't wait to dive into it. Jonathan, you were right, I will need a lot of room at my desk to have both volumes open simultaneously! These books are large.
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Brad,

Thanks for the explanition. I knew it was something along those lines. I am old but not that forgetful.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On 2004-03-05 10:51, WildStone wrote:

I just received the "The Best of Slydini & More" book set. I'm very impressed with its look and feel, and with the layout of material.

Fulves also wrote another book of Slydini's work entitled "The Magical World of Slydini". It's the same format - text in one volume and pictures in another (basically it's volume 2 of the book you bought). It contains Slydini's linking ring routine and also his unknotting silks routine, which has recently seen a resurgence in popularity.
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I just received Slydini Encores, edited by Leon Nathanson,M.D. - a cd rom. I am really enjoying it...especially his one coin routine at the table but loads of other just great stuff. I am currently reading this along with Dariel Fitzkee's Magic by Misdirection, written I think in the late 40's which I also recently purchased.

This is a powerful combination for me and I am very excited...having just discovered this stuff and breaking away from the technical/mechanical aspect for a bit.

"details at eleven" when I can put this into play and assimilate.

cp
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27116 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Would that be 11 hours, weeks or years?

I like the borg approach to the material.. resistance is futile indeed! Your technolgy will be added to the collective. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
That would be, "eleven"...as in a metaphor for "later" (metaphor...an implied comparison WITHOUT the use of "like" or "as.")

Fitzkee says,"The true skill of the magician is in the skill he exhibits in influencing the spectator's mind. This is not a thing of mechanics. It is entirely a thing of psychological attack....control of the perceptive faculties has nothing whatever to do with it. Convincingly interpeting, to the spectator, what the senses bring to him, in such a way that the magician's objectives are accomplished, is the true skill of the skilled magician." p.33.

This is the focus of my attention now and I am really excited to get into this aspect....Mickey will come when he comes.

cp
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I find the "...at eleven" metaphor works better when I say something like, [Insert some important happening here] ... "Film at eleven". The film reference seems to make the nightly news metaphor more universal for some reason. Smile

I was reading Jay Sankey's new book, along with the new Slydini material that I just received, but I needed to put it down and focus all of my attention on Slydini. When it takes 17 pages, a forwarding note, and a mini biography to get to the "starting position", you know you're reading something that demands focus and attention... which is what I plan to give it.

cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Wildstone -

I really enjoy your recent blizzard of postings here lately. You obviously do all things magica the right way and have superior knowledge. You also critique word choice as well?....We got off the topic of the mastery of Slydini...Tell you what...you say "film" and I'll say "details."
(Goethe)
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Thanks for noticing my recent contributions. That means quite a bit to me. I noticed your recent input as well. And, it will make you happy to know that you're sarcasm and needless berating of myself and others in this post have not gone unnoticed either. However, I think we all know the definition of the word "metaphor", but thank you for your Websterian insight. Most of us also know the difference between light natured good humor and personal insults.

Additionally, I would suggest that you limit your posts to those topics that you know something about, my knowledge and experience in the area of "magica" not being amoung that special group of topics.

Finally, you'll notice, should you take a moment to review the posts in this topic, that none of my comments, until this unfortunate episode, have strayed far from the original. However, you seem more intent on proving (or defending) your personal self worth and knowledge, at the expense of anyone unfortunate enough to reply to you, then on adding anything constructive. I'm very happy that you received the CD, hopefully, Slydini's soft spokeness, grace, and gentle nature will have a positive impact on you.

All the Best,

Mike

cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
WildStone:

We don't want to waste other people's time with this misunderstanding...I think you over reacted a bit though...I actually do enjoy your posts...just thought you were a little too critical with the words I use to express myself...it is of no consequence...to me, you or others. I have a little knowledge...probably not as much as yours..don't mean to insult but shouldn't have to defend either.

These discussions do get a little intense at times.

Onward!
cp
(Goethe)
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I don't really see where all the arguing came into the picture to start with! I don't think anybody meant to criticize or offend anyone. IMHO
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Agreed. Insults are common enough on the outside. Polite, informative, and pleasant conversations are for the inside. I apologize if mine fell short of the goal.

On a Slydini note... I did find a source that reportedly has Slydini material in "multimedia format". I haven't yet dtermined if this equates to video, but it is a positive step forward in my hunt.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27116 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Good luck with the hunt.

I recall the man as polite and giving with suggestions when asked.

A good example to follow Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
My turn...takes two to tango...therefore, I must apologize as well to all the knowledgable coin conjurers at the Magic Café who are always so willing to help and from whom I learn so much...if the tone of my entries offend. Attack on a personal level are never justified.

To all...mea culpa.

So...is it true Slydini used very few words with his one coin routine.......
cp
(Goethe)
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
So...is it true Slydini used very few words with his one coin routine.......

Yes, very true...Slydini also did the one coin routine using a cigarette...it was pure poetry in his hands!

Mike
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
There's a long section on Slydini's linking ring routine (full size stage rings, not finger). It seems to be quite a "big" routine - full set of rings, figures ... anybody tried this? Or seen it performed?
Myrddin
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
107 Posts

Profile of Myrddin
I studied Slydini's linking ring routine and performed it for a while. It's a very long routine and one has to remember a lot of things, but it's a very spectacular one as well.
In my current linking ring routine I still use Slydini's linking and unlinking technique and his change-over sequence (to prove you just linked two solid rings).

Another great routine I have done for years is his rope routine which includes a great Professor's Nightmare (you might have seen Cellini performing it).

Other Slydini routines I still use are:
- The paper balls in the box. (I have much fun using four different colored paper napkins, letting the spectators select the color each time before a vanish. Same setup, same secret. Try it, it's great!)
- The one coin routine and coins through table.
- The sponge ball routine with the purse frame.

My sources where "The Magic of Slydini", "Slydini Encore", "The Magical World of Slydini" and "The Best of Slydini... and more". So you see I'm totally brain-washed Smile.

I still think the Slydini material is worth studying, although performing sitting at a table seems to be out of fashion these days.

Peter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Very Best Of Slydini (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL