The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » When it's too hot.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Okay, summer approaches - you are not wearing a jacket/coat, or long sleeves, and therefore there is no sleeving/toppiting. Are you going to just hold out? Pull out a deck of cards(Nope-lol)

I want to know how you guys adjust your coinwork to this situation. I will be working on sleeving techniques, and will probably have little use for it informally in the summer. How do you maintain your facility with sleeving in the warm months? Do you practice it regularly, or wait for cooler weather?

Also, is anyone familiar with Carl Cloutiers tape the third hand? It appears to be a compilation of his expert sleeving/toppiting tapes - is this so?

Any help is appreciated.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I've always done (indoor) magic with short sleeves. I found that no matter where the coin goes, if you're sporting long sleeves, that's exactly where the one or two "I know how he did its" in the crowd think and say the coin went. I like to remove that irritation if possible. I use misdirection as best I can to pocket items that need to vanish for awhile, or I use Subtleties and the under-proving principle to hide wayward coins.

I guess that was no help for your sleeving concerns. Sorry.
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
That is ok-
but I must tell you, Twisted Ace from the Café recently showed me some of his sleeving(thanks!) and it was impressive and deceptive to me. That is why I am interested in learning some of the techniques.
More feedback please...
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I usually practice my sleeving along with the seasons.

Nothing major though, mainly muscle passing the coin up the sleeve.

But like Wild Stone said, you will get a lot of people saying its up your sleeve, even when you roll the sleeves up!

I've found a damp neck or a chest pocket always good for ditching coins.

Also body turns help along with a little bit of misdirection.

If I have no chance of ditching, I do a routine that doesn't hold out at the end.

Why paint yourself in a corner?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I don't use sleeving in my work and it's not because I'm not adept at it. It's such a cliche that "it went up your sleeve" so why use a method that everyone suspects. I like doing coin magic with the sleeves rolled up. The act of rolling up your sleeves is done because it's common knowledge that sleeving is a method magicians use.
Keith Yeung
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Keith Yeung
I love sleeving sometimes because one - its fun! Come on I love throwing little objects under my jacket!

and Two - it can be a very clean way in getting rid of objects (without trying to hide it in the palm - I HATE watching for angles)

Anyway, it is hard to compensate for some of the tricks. So A) Wear a shirt with a pocket for ditching and B) You'll have to use Backpalm/ Tenkai Pinch or Back Thumb Palm to do the final ditch (Also requires a bit of nerve and confidence to pull it off)

Otherwise I just wait until it starts getting cool again. You can also consider wearing a denim jacket on days when its a little cool (unless its really hot)
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Ted,

If memory serves me correctly you were talking at the meeting about the Cloutier tapes? If you want I have to tapes on his sleeving and topiting, I forgot to mention that when we were talking. If you want, at the next meeting I can bring them for you to borrow. Let me know what you think, if ya want pm me and I'll bring them.

Also, just to add my two cents, I think that even if the spectator does accuse you of the coin going up your sleeve, like Twisted Ace said, just roll up the sleeves and show them that there is nothing there. Half the time if you guys think about it that will be enough to suffice their inquiries. Bottom line is no matter how much we try I think that the spectators will always insist that the coin is somewhere. That's is why we have the various subtleties and what not to show them that they are "wrong" in their assumptions, that's just my opinion though. Anyway I hope that helps you out a little.

-Bill
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have the Cloutier tape you mentioned, mand it is really excellent, I feel.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Get the Jack Chanin book, it has a whole section on sleeving from the master.

As far as hot weather, why don't you wear a coat. I wear a coat up till it hits 90 degrees. I do not think you should present youself as everyone else in the world. You should have you own clothing style that make you stand out from the rest. Everyday not just on special occasions.

The extreme is Jeff McBride and Max Maven, they live their lives with this clothing style.

Even if you never do a magic trick again, you should have a style. Look in your closet, that is your current style. Are you ready for a change?
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Interesting comment William - BTW, what is the title of the Chanin book you refer to?
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
While you are still unable to sleeve...you can always wear a vest with a toppit...and learn a few good ditches into the pockets.

Mike
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This nearly normal guy usually wears long sleeves even in the summer. Summer time is usually a turtle neck with or without a vest.

Yes you can s....e when wearing turtle necks and some dress shirts.

I like wearing old sweatshirts which also facilitate s......g. (Like from where I went, Kansas University)

Usually I use them to retrieve rather than d...h.

Just my two liberty halfs worth.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » When it's too hot.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL