The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Bowie (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
By simply looking at the title of this thread, some will think it should be moved. Or, possibly deleted. After all, this section is reserved for Mentalism.

But, this thread is most certainly about mentalism.

Today, people from around the globe are talking about, and mourning, the death of David Bowie. Personally, I am devastated. He has been very inspirational to me ever since 1970. For quite a long time, I have stated that he was the one true artist in the world of Rock.

As I said, millions of people are talking about David today...and a lot of those folks don't even know the vast majority of the songs he recorded. Sure, they may recognize a few things that get airplay; but they don't know anything from Heathen, or Reality, or Earthling, or Outside, or Lodger, or Low, or Black Tie White Noise, or a number of his other releases. And most of those folks never even heard of Tin Machine.

But they all know David Bowie.

So, do you want to be a great mentalist? Then learn an important lesson from David. True character development will always take you higher than the songs (or, in the case of mentalism, the effects) you perform.

And true character development is so very different from the lazy caricatures that most mentalists hide behind. True character development requires knowing who you are, and understanding why you are doing the things you do.

Like David, your character can appear to evolve, morph, and even radically change. But, at its heart, it actually stays the same; with all of the different phases merely revealing other sides of the same persona. After all, from The Man Who Sold The World, to Ziggy, to Aladdin Sane, to The Thin White Duke, to Pierrot, to The Goblin King, to The Outsider, and eventually, to The Legend, at the core, he was always Bowie.

So stop searching the outside world for more effects, and start searching inside of yourself to see who you truly are. By honestly doing so, you will become better at everything you do.

Thank you, David. You made me a better creator, a better performer, and a better person. I am now going to try to soothe my broken heart with Blackstar.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Great post.
Perhaps some if not most will get it.
Perhaps some if not most will heed it.
Perhaps some will even make it reality.

Reminds me of a little story Rick from one of your books. About the person who walks along the beach and sees a shiny glimmering rock in the sand.....

J
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Great post Rick.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Great words about a great man from a great performer. Smile Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Excellent insight and correlation to mentalism. A guy that truly understood what it meant to be an entertainer, an artist, not just a performer.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
His movie Labyrinth has a great Mentalism effect.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
377 Posts

Profile of Deano88
I remember a great ending to someone's show, with a number prediction where the numbers were turned 90 degrees to reveal Bowie ( there was more to it) and the out music was Jean Geni I believe , great ending to a show
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
He was one of us...

Blackstar

https://youtu.be/kszLwBaC4Sw
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
What many do not know is that David Bowie was a very accomplished coin magician. I spent around 45 minutes with Bowie in the early 80s showing each other coin tricks and he was highly skilled. I didn't realise at first that it was Bowie and due to his high level of skill, I assumed he looked so familiar because I'd met him at a convention or the circle. He was also a really genuinely nice guy.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
He started out as a mod, and he was really called davy jones, but changed it for obvious reasons...

a true original...and one of my favourites...

and he was initially quite influenced by anthony newley of all people, but if you listen to bowie's early stuff - you can hear it!
I've asked to be banned
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
He will be missed.I loved his music.
A icon for sure.
Todd
Erik L.
View Profile
New user
Omaha, NE
53 Posts

Profile of Erik L.
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
What many do not know is that David Bowie was a very accomplished coin magician. I spent around 45 minutes with Bowie in the early 80s showing each other coin tricks and he was highly skilled. I didn't realise at first that it was Bowie and due to his high level of skill, I assumed he looked so familiar because I'd met him at a convention or the circle. He was also a really genuinely nice guy.

Mark

Great story. I never knew that about him. Still can't believe he's gone.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Thank you for that, Rick.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Great post Rick - fabulous really.

I had some similar thoughts about Bowie earlier today.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:

Mark

Thanks for that Mark - great tidbit - who knew!

I'm also a massive Bryan Ferry fan.

Here is a rare interview & Performance with Dinah Shore about 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxe4h7U8jow

Bryan came from a similar time/space and glam sensibility.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Saw him in concert 1990 when I was 19 years old. Can't believe it's all over. Way too young.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Very insightful post Rick. Thanks.

As it happens, I spent the weekend re-reading The Death and Resurrection Show: From Shaman to Superstar.
It all makes perfect sense when you think of Bowie.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quote:
I didn't realise at first that it was Bowie and due to his high level of skill, I assumed he looked so familiar because I'd met him at a convention or the circle. He was also a really genuinely nice guy.

Mark

Post of the year here, amazing. When did you clock it was him?

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
After Lemmy and now Bowie it feels as if the UK is having an identity crisis!
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Rick, thanks for starting this very informative thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Bowie (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL