The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How anyone with a brain....... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
.... can still call Rolling Stone a legitimate publication is beyond me. A new low point for them.

http://news.yahoo.com/sean-penn-el-chapo......647.html
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4827 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I went to my oncologist today about some ongoing memory problems and "stumbling a lot". He ordered a MRI of my brain on the 25th Smile (If they find one, I will weigh in properly). Until then... As an ex-journalist, (many many years ago - US Army) I NEVER considered Rolling Stone to be legit.

How could any legit "news source" try to pass off friggin "Spicoli" as a journalist???
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Stay with it Poof-Daddy, I admire the spunk and courage you exhibit. And thanks for your service too.

I've never thought of Rolling Stone as being a legitimate news source either, but watch out, some here will stone us for saying that, pardon the pun. Smile

As for "Spicoli," I don't know why he remains here in the US with the disdain he has for our country. He's a spoiled rotten boob.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
As I recall they captured El Chapo yesterday.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20044 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, Bob1Dog wrote:
.... can still call Rolling Stone a legitimate publication is beyond me. A new low point for them.

Glad to see you staying out of those hot button issues.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:

I'm curious as to why you think the article is a low point. Mind you, I haven't read it, but it seems like an interview with a person as infamous as El Chapo would be fascinating.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

An opinion on a magazine is a hot button issue?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5843 Posts

Profile of motown
I don't know. It sounds like it helped catch El
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, tommy wrote:
As I recall they captured El Chapo Friday.

There, I fixed that for ya' tommy; so what's your point?

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, Randwill wrote:
Quote:

I'm curious as to why you think the article is a low point.

When a newspaper caves to the demands of the subject being interviewed, well, um, see, that's not real journalism. Get that? And seriously now, do you really think Sean Penn is a qualified journalist just because he's a movie star?

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Hot button? Ya' mean I got my finger on the bomb? What, son, is the hot button here?

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I think he means the whole "Sean Penn meeting with a known criminal" hot button.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
It’s getting hard to trust the real media, must less all the ‘so called ‘ media sources.
Maybe they will put El Chapo, Penn, and the paper in the same cell.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4757 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:
It’s getting hard to trust the real media, must less all the ‘so called ‘ media sources.
Maybe they will put El Chapo, Penn, and the paper in the same cell.

Tom

+1

It's has become laughable what is reported and the bias that's exhibited in the media.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
While some media sources are overall much more reliable than others, all require some critical thinking and background reading. Magazines like Rolling Stone are uneven--the reporting and analysis is occasionally excellent, and occasionally awful, but almost always entertaining.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, Randwill wrote:
Quote:

I'm curious as to why you think the article is a low point.

When a newspaper caves to the demands of the subject being interviewed, well, um, see, that's not real journalism. Get that? And seriously now, do you really think Sean Penn is a qualified journalist just because he's a movie star?

Did El Chapo have control of what was published? I don't think Sean Penn's movie stardom has anything to do with his journalism skills other than the fact that his fame may have been key to gaining access to the subject of the interview. I'd have to read the article to evaluate him further.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20044 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am no Sean Penn fan. Disagree with everything he says and does. Would you feel someone you agreed with was just as unqualified?

Lets be honest at least. It is about you bashing a viewpoint you disagree with and little more.

Just what qualifications does one need to ask questions anyhow?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, Randwill wrote:

Did El Chapo have control of what was published?

From what I heard, (Fox News) El Chapo had final approval before the article was published.

“Unlike many of his counterparts who engage in gratuitous kidnapping and murder, El Chapo is a businessman first,” Penn writes, “and only resorts to violence when he deems it advantageous to himself or his business interests.”

With Penn making statements like this, I don't give him or the article much merit.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Here's a link to the actual article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/feat......20160109

To be honest, I find the writing so bad that I couldn't get past the first few paragraphs. Sean Penn wouldn't pass my writing class. It surprises me that it could be published in its current form.

Here's a sentence that just screams for a real editor to pitch-slap him:

Quote:
His bald head demands your attention to his twinkling eyes.

*(Jeff shivers)*
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, Randwill wrote:

Did El Chapo have control of what was published?

From what I heard, (Fox News) El Chapo had final approval before the article was published.

“Unlike many of his counterparts who engage in gratuitous kidnapping and murder, El Chapo is a businessman first,” Penn writes, “and only resorts to violence when he deems it advantageous to himself or his business interests.”

With Penn making statements like this, I don't give him or the article much merit.

I'm not sure how El Chapo would have been able to control what RS printed.

As far as the quote from Penn that you cite, I don't understand why you find it objectionable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How anyone with a brain....... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL