The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying Carpet vs Chair Suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
I am looking to get one of these...The Flying Carpet says can support 170 lbs without flexing, while in Chair Suspension, I find lower weight class. Even though I don't care for the turning of the carpet in Flying Carpet, it still is ok.
I'm looking for pro and cons....I do not do full time shows...just here and there but I want it to look good. Was worried about the "flex" factor in Chair Suspension.
Also I'm looking at adding the Mona Lisa Puzzle to the show. It seems nice. Does anyone own it or see it. Thankyou
Joe <><
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Chair suspension vs flying carpet.

Pros for the chair:
Much, Much more angle proof
Easy to pack, light to carry
Easy to setup in front of their eyes

Chair Negatives:
It is more likely to tilt for sure. Lighter weights help with this, hence the weight suggestions.

The effect may not be as "magical" in that it looks more like a fancy balancing act than a true "floating."

I think I need not put the same pros/cons for the carpet as the opposite of every statement above will give the contrary position on the carpet.

quack
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
If you are choosing children, the flex factor won't be a problem with the chairs. Klamm's gets my vote until I have $2500 to blow.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
A C Spectre
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
75 Posts

Profile of A C Spectre
I had a Chair Suspension by Mak. It said it would hold up to 110 pounds but as stated above the performance value was seriously degraded when the assistant was much heavier than 80 pounds. I used to perform with my kids (until it wasn't cool to be seen with Dad) and they hated the thing. They could never get comfortable on it. The one time I used an untrained assistant from the audience the boy got so scared he climbed off the thing mid-performance. I ended up selling mine about 3 months ago.

I would like to replace it at some point with a flying carpet. It looks like using a volunteer from the audience is no where near the problem with this illusion.

A C Spectre
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
AG,

I know why your kids did not like it. My daughter hated mine. Mine is custom, will support over 200 pounds and look good...minor tilt. I have tried it out, and it is a very weird feeling. Solid but kind of like "floating." Your point is well taken, small kids do not want to be on it, especially when the chair comes out...not that adults are crazy about it either.

Flying carpet certainly more solid. It of course has the other angle problems. Jim Sommers plans can alleviate much of that.
quack
A C Spectre
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
75 Posts

Profile of A C Spectre
Magicduck,
Are these Jim Sommers plans available for purchase anywhere? If so , I would like to purchase them. The angle problems and packing and hauling this illusion are the downfalls I've heard of. If these plans alleviate the angle problems, it sounds like that is the way to go. As I stated before, since my kids no longer perform with me I think this would be a great addition to my show. Being able to levitate an untrained audience volunteer seems to me like it would pack a pretty big punch.

A C Spectre
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
If you mean his plans for the Flying Carpet, they are availalable. The book is something like: Build your Own Illusions. Just do a search at the magic dealers, they should all have it. Around a 25 dollar book I think. I got mine years back for about ten.

If you mean plans for the chair suspension...those are availalbe in a few books, but not by Sommers.
quack
A C Spectre
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
75 Posts

Profile of A C Spectre
I was looking for the Sommers plans for the Flying Carpet. I'll look around for the book. Thanks for the information

A C Spectre
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Magic Inc in Chicago (below) has it in their catalog for $15.00. Well worth it. You will have no trouble finding it in a search engine.
quack

Build Your Own Illusions 892

Price Qty
$15.00

Detailed Description
Jim Sommers is a full time professional magician. He always uses a few illusions in his show, and he has built these himself. His plan in making illusions and writing about them, is based on the theory that many magicians live in small apartments, drive small cars, handle their shows themselves. The tricks in this book will fit into the life-style of these magicians. Contents: About Jim Sommers Visible Sawing Thru The Money Tree The Dog's House Boy to Rabbit Suitcase to Table Flying Carpet Plus Poor Man''s Flash Appearance Tabouret Volkswagen Sword Basket Cargo Cage Vanish Flying Carpet ala Rigid RopeThe Girl in the Big Balloon Hollywood Smoke Machine Rickshaw Cremation Altar Clock Production Fred's Screen Keyhole Illusion Folding Glass BoxHardware Hinges for Escape Tricks 88 pages Spiral bound Four Color Frontispiece Fully Illustrated
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Here's what I think... I've written it before about the chair suspension.. the only one to go with is the old Abbott's version. It's solid angle proof and safe. I've had mine for years and have used it to death. They are harder to find I'm not sure if Abbott's makes the old style anymore.. but there are plenty of used ones around. It was known as the Ultra Modern Suspention. As for Sommers.. he's an amazing guy and his book is still available @ magicinc.net. Sommers is still building and shipping stuff around the world. You can email me and I'll get you his number if you want something built.

Steve
chezaday.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying Carpet vs Chair Suspension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL